Android OS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dRoid Rage
182 Posts
First of all, I take absolutely NOT ONE single bit of credit for this. I myself am not exactly pro at screwing around with adb and things. I simply was looking for an easy way to root and found this page with an automated tool with video instructions on how to root your Galaxy nexus by just clicking the buttons and having it do it for you!

So, for all of you noobs (like me
) Here is your god send. I won't be getting my nexus until tomorrow unfortunately so I have not personally run this yet, but I will tomorrow.

Original Link for Download/Video Tutorial/And more in depth step-by-step Instructions
http://droidmodderx....-toolkit-easier

Good luck!

Instructions:
  1. Do not plug in your device until this program prompts you too!
  2. Install the program by double clicking the GnexRootToolkit.sfx.exe
  3. This will extract the contents to %HOMEDRIVE%\Wugs_GnexRootToolkit
  4. Place a shortcuts on your Desktop
  5. Launch the program for first use
  6. Use the "Drivers" option to make sure all your drivers get configured properly.
  7. This is a crucial step. Nothing else will work otherwise, so make sure your drivers are properly configured before you try doing anything else with this program.
  8. Follow the onscreen driver instructions carefully and you should have no problems.
  9. Use the "Backup Apps + Data" if you want to preserve your apps and settings for restoration after you unlock and root.
  10. Then use the "Unlock" to unlock and the "Root" to root… Tada! Enjoy your unlocked and rooted device.
  11. Then whenever you need to go back to square one just use the "Flash stock + Unroot" and "OEM lock" features.
  12. Remember that this option can also be used if you completely brick.
  13. This should bring you back to a fully locked stock factory state.

EDIT 1/24/2012** CONFIRMED WORKING 100%

Unlocked Bootloader And Rooted With ZERO issues. Roots and installs CWM and everything for you. Instructions where SO EASY to follow you literally can not mess up.

·
su
2,292 Posts
Honestly, after doing it (once). It was a lot easier than it seems.

Not that this doesn't have its place, just wanted to mention for anyone on the fence about doing it the manual way.

It's a lot easier than it looks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
I'm on the fence about rooting, not really crazy about ROMS at the moment, but would like to have root for apps etc. I noticed buttons for backing up and restoring apps and data, does this work well? I want root and the ability to restore apps and data

·
dRoid Rage
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on the fence about rooting, not really crazy about ROMS at the moment, but would like to have root for apps etc. I noticed buttons for backing up and restoring apps and data, does this work well? I want root and the ability to restore apps and data

From what I gather, this tool does it all. You can back up your apps and data, then unlock the boatloader, root the phone, and then restore the apps and data. Also, if you ever brick during the process (which you shouldn't because it's practically automated) You can "Flash Stock + Unroot" to fix your brick. If you where say bringing the phone in to verizon for service ie. you dropped the phone, having hardware issues etc then you can flash stock + unroot and then click "OEM Lock" to lock the bootloader and voila your completely factory stock. I will be getting my galaxy nexus later on today and i will be testing all of these features personally.

If any of you guys have had a chance to use this tool yet please post your experience here!

·
I Love Lamp
615 Posts
That's what I love about Samsung phones...they're near impossible to brick. Samsung may have grandfathered me into a brand with these haha.

·
dRoid Rage
182 Posts
i figured this would be a bit more popular of a find. lol testing now...

*Edit 1* Drivers installed fine. Device manager fix worked. Bootloader now Unlocked Successfully. This thing works flawlessly so far. Waiting for the phone to settle and boot up so I can start the root process. So far so good though.

*Edit 2* Confirmed 100% working. That was the easiest root i've ever done. This dude really did a nice job with this tool. Bootloader unlocked, Phone Rooted. Making a backup with rom manager now. Good to go.

·
Android Apprentice
65 Posts
I can honestly say it works flawlessly my first nexi I did root but was having bat not charging issues (not related to rooting though) just clicked the re-lock OEM and poof auto magically back to stock locked stamped and sealed for approval to return back to big red for a new one

·
dRoid Rage
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can honestly say it works flawlessly my first nexi I did root but was having bat not charging issues (not related to rooting though) just clicked the re-lock OEM and poof auto magically back to stock locked stamped and sealed for approval to return back to big red for a new one

Awesome! glad it helped you out man.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
For unlocking/rooting...no, not "bad."
Flash the recovery again, however. I'd give more detailed directions, but I don't know how this toolkit is laid out.
Flash the custom recovery...and potentially flash superuser again.

Edit:
DO NOT restore images from another device, however.
That IS bad. If you were just trying to root, I'm sure you're fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts