Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I know what you're thinking "We already have root, why do we want and/or need this?". Well, if you followed the root thread, you would have seen that the package posted was built off of two images. There was the early firmware posting that it was first made from, then a system pull in a rar archive that was used to put the root package on the latest firmware. In the processes, there were issues with permissions and other items missing. The people involved did a great job with what they had, but I don't like hacked up solutions to problems.

So, to fix that, I had a stock system.img for the release firmware. This allowed me to build a fully stock root package with no missing files or incorrect permissions. While it took some time to get this tested and verified working without having the device, I was able to get it. Thanks goes to Adrynalyne, Mibix, and AstainHellBring (and anyone else) from IRC for testing several packages (Freenode, #galaxy-note-2). This is only the start of things to come, and I plan on slowly working on a ROM based on this then. I also made a deodexed version of the same package. Download and flash that if you wish, but it was more to verify that nothing broke in the deodexing process and to get a working base for a custom ROM.

DOWNLOADS
Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Deodexed Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download one of the above packages for flashing.
  2. Extract the file (7zip works to extract).
  3. Open Odin (download that elsewhere), and put the extracted tar.md5 in the PDA spot
  4. (Re)Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in to your computer
  5. With it recognized in Odin, press start
  6. Once the phone boots up, all should be well. If you notice issues, boot into recovery and wipe data and this should fix the problems.
  7. If you still have issues after wiping the /data and performing a factory reset, please post here.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any ill effects caused to you, your loved ones, you phone, or anything else as a result of flashing this. Do so at your own risk as I won't be held responsible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The stock Zip with root has an error! When I download and go to unzip, it says "No archives found" Also, when I insert it into Odin, it will not flash right! I redownloaded the same file twice, and the same errors exist.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock Zip with root has an error! When I download and go to unzip, it says "No archives found" Also, when I insert it into Odin, it will not flash right! I redownloaded the same file twice, and the same errors exist.
You need to extract the file, and it isn't a zip. I'm not sure what you're using to try and open it, but I know that 7zip will work to open and extract the downloaded file.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are Right! 7zip does work! My dumb ass was using winrar! About to use Odin! Will report back!
I used Odin to flash the stock build and it went without a hitch! Great job! I did have to wipe data because the previous superuser was still present and was unable to be uninstalled. So I would recommend that anyone coming from the 1st root version, that you wipe data. Thanks again everyone! This definitely works!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will flashing this stock image delete all my apps and settings that I already have?
I found a major flaw!! Wifi tether is knocked out with this!! No matter what version of wifi tether used, none work! With 1st Note 2 root method, wifi tether was possible. With this, I can't find a way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found a major flaw!! Wifi tether is knocked out with this!! No matter what version of wifi tether used, none work! With 1st Note 2 root method, wifi tether was possible. With this, I can't find a way!
Ok, I fixed it. Make sure you install busy box. With busy box installed, Wifi Tether does work!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't used this, but number 7 says "if you have problems".....which would indicate that you have a choice to wipe or not to wipe
Having flashed the stock rooted twice on my Note 2, this is what I found out that works for me. If you are coming from the original rooted stock for Verizon Note 2, and you want to flash this unvarnished version of stock rooted, then after you flash this through Odin, boot into stock recovery and data/factory reset. This will avoid any problems. When I first flashed this, coming from the other rooted version, I didn't wipe and had left over's like 2 superusers, with 1 functioning and the other just there. So, for me, coming from other rooted version, wiping data worked great. Now, if you are already on this rooted stock version, and you modify stuff and want to go back to unmodified system stuff, then you can flash this again, but this time, not wiping data, just the cache, and all of your apps will be there. Great job developers! You all Rock!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just curious, did you have issues with the leftovers? or were they more annoyances? Thinking about flashing this, but my device is running so awesome right now, not sure I 'want' to. Got wallet setup and that took some doing, so without recovery might just wait. (which I heard bootloader was just cracked, so it may only be days now!)

Having flashed the stock rooted twice on my Note 2, this is what I found out that works for me. If you are coming from the original rooted stock for Verizon Note 2, and you want to flash this unvarnished version of stock rooted, then after you flash this through Odin, boot into stock recovery and data/factory reset. This will avoid any problems. When I first flashed this, coming from the other rooted version, I didn't wipe and had left over's like 2 superusers, with 1 functioning and the other just there. So, for me, coming from other rooted version, wiping data worked great. Now, if you are already on this rooted stock version, and you modify stuff and want to go back to unmodified system stuff, then you can flash this again, but this time, not wiping data, just the cache, and all of your apps will be there. Great job developers! You all Rock!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just curious, did you have issues with the leftovers? or were they more annoyances? Thinking about flashing this, but my device is running so awesome right now, not sure I 'want' to. Got wallet setup and that took some doing, so without recovery might just wait. (which I heard bootloader was just cracked, so it may only be days now!)
This Rom works fantastic! It it literally stock for the Note 2, except Rooted. When I used the 1st released stock root rom for the Note 2, that worked fine. When I flashed this, the rom also works fine. I can't disquingish between the 2 roms, because I never had any problems with permissions. Things to remember: If you're coming from the 1st rooted stock rom, which was not in this thread, make sure that after ODIN, you data wipe in the stock recovery for a buttery smooth transition. Also be sure to install busybox, as it is needed to use the wifi tether app. I am very happy with this stock root and would recommend it.

·
Android Beginner
95 Posts
I figured if someone could do this, it'd be imnuts. I don't have a Note II yet, but when tax time comes around I probably will be spending some of my refund on one, especially if imnuts and dwitherell is on board.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I added mirrors to the OP after reports of issues downloading from my original source.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.