Android OS Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Do I need to do anything to my phone before running this? I'm currently completly stock, just got my phone last night.

Also, what's the difference between the Stock Rooted Image and the Deodexed Stock Rooted Image?

Thanks.

Keep up the good work Imnuts! Follew you here from my Droid Charge days.

Hey guys, I was unsure about if I should root my new Note 2 or not and wanted some advice. The only reason I actually wanted to do it was so that I can install a game. The two programs that I have found out I would need to use for the apk+data to install correctly are Titanium Backup and Google Play Store v3.10.10+Installer v1.0.5 by ChelpuS. Both of those require root access. I'm a noob at rooting, I did follow directions and root my previous Samsung Charge and that was easy to do. I only did that because I had it a while and wanted to get rid of a bunch of bloatware. I had no plan on rooting my Note 2, but now I want to just so I can download and install the game. I was reading on some forums about the root for the Note 2 and it seemed like people are saying that there isn't a 100% operational one out there, at least not for Verizon, and that the ones out there where just for people who messed up there phone, that stock was better right now. There were a bunch of posts about the IMEI being lost in the Verizon phones and then people couldn't re-activate their device. I asked a friend who has rooted and customized all of his phones and he told me to ask you guys. When I read this topic it seemed like it was easy and stable, but is it as good or better than stock? And is rooting my device truly the only way I can install a downloaded game apk properly?

I know what you're thinking "We already have root, why do we want and/or need this?". Well, if you followed the root thread, you would have seen that the package posted was built off of two images. There was the early firmware posting that it was first made from, then a system pull in a rar archive that was used to put the root package on the latest firmware. In the processes, there were issues with permissions and other items missing. The people involved did a great job with what they had, but I don't like hacked up solutions to problems.

So, to fix that, I had a stock system.img for the release firmware. This allowed me to build a fully stock root package with no missing files or incorrect permissions. While it took some time to get this tested and verified working without having the device, I was able to get it. Thanks goes to Adrynalyne, Mibix, and AstainHellBring (and anyone else) from IRC for testing several packages (Freenode, #galaxy-note-2). This is only the start of things to come, and I plan on slowly working on a ROM based on this then. I also made a deodexed version of the same package. Download and flash that if you wish, but it was more to verify that nothing broke in the deodexing process and to get a working base for a custom ROM.

DOWNLOADS
Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Deodexed Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download one of the above packages for flashing.
  2. Extract the file (7zip works to extract).
  3. Open Odin (download that elsewhere), and put the extracted tar.md5 in the PDA spot
  4. (Re)Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in to your computer
  5. With it recognized in Odin, press start
  6. Once the phone boots up, all should be well. If you notice issues, boot into recovery and wipe data and this should fix the problems.
  7. If you still have issues after wiping the /data and performing a factory reset, please post here.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any ill effects caused to you, your loved ones, you phone, or anything else as a result of flashing this. Do so at your own risk as I won't be held responsible.
i updated to vrall4 then later noticed it was big mistake, later read adam outler http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2118348 , require stock to be unlock, so i revert back to vraljb, somehow during process, it hang. now baseband vraljb, build number vrall4. i am still locked, running window 7 64bit here. tried to find stock vraljb, no luck, most vraljb downloaded was invalid tar md. i want to root this damn phone. Any suggestion ? Thanks in advance.

Maybe a stupid question but I just got a new note2. I haven't installed the sim and activated yet. I wanted to know can I root first then activate the phone. I assume so but wanted to ask first.
Thank you for your assistance.

i updated to vrall4 then later noticed it was big mistake, later read adam outler http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2118348 , require stock to be unlock, so i revert back to vraljb, somehow during process, it hang. now baseband vraljb, build number vrall4. i am still locked, running window 7 64bit here. tried to find stock vraljb, no luck, most vraljb downloaded was invalid tar md. i want to root this damn phone. Any suggestion ? Thanks in advance.
Try to go to galaxynote2root.com download stockroot66 via Odin. It will flash the phone to vraljb
Root. .and its up to you to upgrade to vrall4. If you want vrall4 to be rooted. Make sure you go to play store to get voodoo root keeper. Atleast that is what I did a while back. Now they have the tool kits. Good luck!

Sent from my Portable SCH-I605

I got my Note II last Sunday and got the nerve to unlock the boot loader and root with Adams Casual utility. I want to run the DeOdexed stock rooted so I can apply a few mods and change some of the system sounds however, it states very clearly on Adams post NOT to flash anything wih ODIN unless it is a stock ROM or the device could be bricked.

My question; is the DeOdexed and rooted version of the stock ROM safe to flash via ODIN??? Has anyone done this?

Sorry, I just don't want an expensive brick, and coming from a Galaxy Nexus, I'm not used to all the warnings about bricking.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I got my Note II last Sunday and got the nerve to unlock the boot loader and root with Adams Casual utility. I want to run the DeOdexed stock rooted so I can apply a few mods and change some of the system sounds however, it states very clearly on Adams post NOT to flash anything wih ODIN unless it is a stock ROM or the device could be bricked.

My question; is the DeOdexed and rooted version of the stock ROM safe to flash via ODIN??? Has anyone done this?

Sorry, I just don't want an expensive brick, and coming from a Galaxy Nexus, I'm not used to all the warnings about bricking.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Do not use ODIN period after Casual

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Noob here,

I am wondering if you can assist me in the decision of rooting my Note 2. I received this phone on the18th, and want to root; but am uncertain if the links to the needed files on this topic are the correct ones needed to root.

My phone info is as follows:

Android Version: 4.1.1
Kernel Version:
3.0.31-414933
se.infra@SEP-79 #1
SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 28 21:21:38 KST 2012
Build Number:JRO03C.I605VRALL4

So are the files linked in the first post going to work for this build?

Thank you for your time.

I know what you're thinking "We already have root, why do we want and/or need this?". Well, if you followed the root thread, you would have seen that the package posted was built off of two images. There was the early firmware posting that it was first made from, then a system pull in a rar archive that was used to put the root package on the latest firmware. In the processes, there were issues with permissions and other items missing. The people involved did a great job with what they had, but I don't like hacked up solutions to problems.

So, to fix that, I had a stock system.img for the release firmware. This allowed me to build a fully stock root package with no missing files or incorrect permissions. While it took some time to get this tested and verified working without having the device, I was able to get it. Thanks goes to Adrynalyne, Mibix, and AstainHellBring (and anyone else) from IRC for testing several packages (Freenode, #galaxy-note-2). This is only the start of things to come, and I plan on slowly working on a ROM based on this then. I also made a deodexed version of the same package. Download and flash that if you wish, but it was more to verify that nothing broke in the deodexing process and to get a working base for a custom ROM.

DOWNLOADS
Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Deodexed Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download one of the above packages for flashing.
  2. Extract the file (7zip works to extract).
  3. Open Odin (download that elsewhere), and put the extracted tar.md5 in the PDA spot
  4. (Re)Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in to your computer
  5. With it recognized in Odin, press start
  6. Once the phone boots up, all should be well. If you notice issues, boot into recovery and wipe data and this should fix the problems.
  7. If you still have issues after wiping the /data and performing a factory reset, please post here.
How do I unlock Bootloader after rooting?
NOTE: I am not responsible for any ill effects caused to you, your loved ones, you phone, or anything else as a result of flashing this. Do so at your own risk as I won't be held responsible.

takes allot to actually brick a phone.. I used causual tool on my s3 and it was hella easy. I had to odin my s3 a few times bc some other roots didnt work..
I prefer a one click tool vs, down load this and that and run this and then run that ya f that

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.