This article is based on a rumor which may or may not be completely accurate. The source of the leak, @evleaks on Twitter, has an impressive track record of leaked information becoming reality, so I am willing to feed the speculation regarding the rumor. Saturday brought another such leak, namely that Motorola will drop the price of the Moto X by $100 with contract during the 4th quarter of 2013.

The Moto X currently sells for $199 for a 16GB version with contract and $250 for a 32GB version. The price drop will make those phones $99 and $150 respectively.

Should this rumor prove true, I am also interested in seeing how this price drop will impact Verizon Wirelesses' Droid line. Will Big Red also drop the price of their New Droid Ultra and Droid MAXX to compete with the Moto X?

Even though there are differences between the Droid Ultra and the Moto X (screen size, chassis, hardware vs. virtual navigation bar, bloatware and some other minor UI changes) are those differences enough to convince someone to spend an additional $100 for a Droid Ultra? To further complicate matters, consumers using MotoMaker can purchase a 32GB version of the Moto X for $150 - half the price of the Droid MAXX. Last month, Verizon Wireless announced that their customers will have access to MotoMaker in the coming months. Are the differences between the Droid MAXX and the 32GB Moto X (including the MAXX's larger-capacity battery) really worth $150 more? It will be interesting to see how Big Red handles this situation.

Evleaks has also announced that a version of the Moto X with a wooden back will also be released in fourth quarter, and cost an additional $50. Not a bad deal to have a phone that doubles as a cutting board (just kidding).

The Android community loves rumors and we will have to see how these rumors pan out. How will Motorola handle the price reduction - by a price drop at the carrier level or will Motorola offer a coupon that can be used to discount the phone? Either way, if this is true, Motorola's customers will be the ultimate winners.

Sources: Android and Me and @evleaks