Samsung released a couple of commercials for its Galaxy Tab S lineup recently, comparing the latest generation of its Super AMOLED technology to the LCD technology found in virtually every other 2013-2014 tablet (even Samsung's own Galaxy Tab Pro lineup).

In the commercials, Samsung shows how much brighter its SAMOLED tablets are than the LCD alternative (thus making it more easily visible outdoors. They also show how much more vivid the colors are and how much dimmer you can make the SAMOLED tablets in low-light conditions (such as when your spouse is lying next to you in bed trying to sleep).

I've found the latter scenario to be the case from personal experience even with the older SAMOLED displays on the Fascinate and the Galaxy Nexus. This is due in part to the true blacks SAMOLED allows for with its ability to light or deactivate individual pixels while LCD has a constant backlight. This ability also allows for more fine-tuning of color and brightness than LCD, which Samsung also mentioned with its AdaptDisplay technology.

I had an opportunity to compare the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition to a Galaxy Tab S 10.1 in person at my local Best Buy, and the difference was like night and day. Prior to actually seeing a Galaxy Tab S, I thought the 2560x1600 LCD display on the Note 10.1 2014 Edition could hardly be topped. It had vibrant colors and was incredibly sharp in my opinion.

When I saw the Galaxy Tab S, the LCD tablet suddenly looked like it was in battery-saving mode (it was actually at max brightness). If you're a fan of deep, saturated colors and want a bright display to enjoy outdoors, you might find the Galaxy Tab S to be worth the sacrifice of the S-Pen (pretending for argument's sake that price is not an issue).

h/t 9to5Google