I could never get the hang of Orkut. I also literally knew nobody that was on the network. Many also could not figure out why the network still existed after Google had put so much time and effort into launching and maintaining Google Plus. Those questions have all been answered via a post from the Orkut blog on Monday.

Orkut will be shut down on September 30, 2014.

Orkut was began by Turkish engineer and Stanford graduate Orkut Büyükkökten. He had started other networks, but when he joined Google in 2008, the company moved its center of operations to Brazil. The network never really received a foothold in the United States, but in India and Brazil it was a surprisingly popular social network.

Orkut featured groups similar to Google Plus's communities. Those smaller subsets allowed users to post just within those perimeters and not so much on a public scale like Twitter or Facebook. The public groups will be archived for legacy reasons. Some of those groups did manage to gain SEO, so Google will surely keep that data around. It is believed that most of the features that made Orkut great have been rolled into Google Plus explaining it's shut down.

With anything Google that dies, they are allowing their users to retrieve their data via Google Takeout. Also, starting on Monday, interested parties will not be able to create a new account on Orkut. Their blog post states,
We will shut down Orkut on September 30, 2014. Until then, there will be no impact on current Orkut users, to give the community time to manage the transition. People can export their profile data, community posts and photos using Google Takeout (available until September 2016). Starting today, it will not be possible to create a new Orkut account.
I have a feeling most Orkut users will not be shocked by this announcement, but the vast majority of the Brazilian and Indians users will be losing their favorite service soon. It will be interesting to see if they adopt Google Plus with their communities and groups or if they will move on to Facebook or another smaller start up.

What do you think? Were you an active Orkut user? Let us know what you think of the shutdown.

H/T: The Next Web