Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope you come back, the scripts are making the phone feel great.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using RootzWiki
No credit to me for the scripts. I just removed the impertainant, or partially harmful that I could easily see.

Sorry, i wasn't kicked or banned or retarded, just wasn't paying attention.

Umm what do you guys mean double spaced?

And if it is double spaced like pressing return..... it shouldn't matter

and... If you guys want to remove the renices script I moved into it's own all together and then add in the the loopy smoothness script you will probably do even better, as long as you have an understanding of how to set it up.

·
Average Android
238 Posts
No credit to me for the scripts. I just removed the impertainant, or partially harmful that I could easily see.

Sorry, i wasn't kicked or banned or retarded, just wasn't paying attention.

Umm what do you guys mean double spaced?

And if it is double spaced like pressing return..... it shouldn't matter

and... If you guys want to remove the renices script I moved into it's own all together and then add in the the loopy smoothness script you will probably do even better, as long as you have an understanding of how to set it up.
Can you show us the loopy smoothness script you are using please? Or the renice script if you are using that one only

Sent from my SCH-I510 using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
renice means keeping a certain app from being killed as easily. less reloading, having it always available means less lag. put too many in there and they will all get killed equally which kinda defeats the purpose.
Actually, renice is changing an app's priority, as far as CPU usage is concerned. OOM groupings are typically what affect whether an app is killed off easily or not. Using renice on apps that you absolutely want to have processing priority (home launcher, phone, etc) means that if they're fighting against 10 other apps for CPU, they'll have first shot at it, rather than lagging behind the others. Setting a low nice/renice value (-19 is maximum priority, while 20 is lowest priority) is sort of a VIP line to CPU usage for apps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, flashing the rom over top put me in a boot loop. I had to start over from scratch. Garbage, I tell you. Using this script caused me icon redraws & tons of lag on a fresh install. Stock TS 1.4 is plenty snappy. Doesn't need any help.

·
Hacker Wannabe
595 Posts
Actually, renice is changing an app's priority, as far as CPU usage is concerned. OOM groupings are typically what affect whether an app is killed off easily or not. Using renice on apps that you absolutely want to have processing priority (home launcher, phone, etc) means that if they're fighting against 10 other apps for CPU, they'll have first shot at it, rather than lagging behind the others. Setting a low nice/renice value (-19 is maximum priority, while 20 is lowest priority) is sort of a VIP line to CPU usage for apps.
+1

I'm not sure why everyone thinks renice has anything to do with holding a process in memory. The only thing I use renices for is phone, systemui, and music apps, and the latter only because without it, my music skips while using Waze.

·
Android Beginner
50 Posts
I have a feeling we're not really taking full advantage of these series of scripts. To my understanding, a "#" at the beginning of a line in a script prevents it from running. A whole lot of the lines in S98system_tweak are like that. This doesn't seem like a set it and forget it script like V6. It seems highly configurable for different preferences and/or hardware. Any thoughts?

Also, the S98bolt_siyah script looks like it's siyah kernel-specific. And who actually knows which CFS script we should be running?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
84 Posts
Regarding the double spaving in the 93renice file.

I corrected the file and this is what it should be, just uncomment/add your apps. (the fewer the better IMO)

Code:
<br />
#!/system/bin/sh<br />
#ThunderBolt renices<br />
	### Phone dialer app ###<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.android.phone`;<br />
	### System apps ###<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.android.mms`; # Text message app<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.swype.android.inputmethod`; # Keyboard<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.sec.android.app.controlpanel`; # Task manager<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.android.systemui`; # Status bar<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.android.settings`; # Settings menu<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.android.vending`; # Market app<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof com.sec.android.app.camera`; # Camera app<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof android.process.acore`;<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof kondemand/0`;<br />
#	renice -1 `pidof ksmartass_up/0`;<br />

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.