Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
45 Posts
Okay, there seems to be an excessive amount of people getting fried SD Cards recently. This is not cool. If it has not happend to you yet, MAKE A BACKUP NOW! Don't wait around or get to it later....., do it now. Although I have no idea how to help prevent this problem from happening, I feel we need a place dedicated to see what people are running when they've lost their card. I would prefer this thread stays clutter free, only to be used to show what we are running when the issue happened. Hopefully, as people submit there setups, we will have a more clear look at how this is happening, as we will see a trend develop. Please follow this template to the best of your ability.

ROM version: AOSP Gingerbread v3
How long used: Since 8/5
Flashed via: manual flash through supplied CWR 4.0.1.0
Downloaded via: link in OP
Radio/Modem: ED05 through OTA
Previous ROM series:CM7 7/17 with 7/18 patch.
SD Card: stock 16gig
Kernel running: supplied with AOSP v3
Mods: Choppers pulldown toggles

If you feel you have other pertinent info, please share. For the sake of quick reference to others, please no debates or Q&A in this thread. Again, I have 0 control here. Just trying to find a pattern to this upsetting problem. For the record I still have my original SD Card, knock on wood. The above template is my info on this matter. I truly hope this proves usefully.

[Edit] I didn't knock on wood fast enouph. I'm still able to view files on my SD card, but unable to manipulate any. Edit, delete, move, nothing. I believe a reboot would be detrimental at this point.

Grrr, where's the free time when you need it!

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
No SD issues as of yet.

ROM. Vanilla V 3
Running since release(don't know date)
Running ee19 radio
No mods
Running kernel included in build
Mesmerize stock 16 gig SD card
Downloaded and flashed through ROM manager
Came from v2 which was flashed manually

Yummmm, Gingerbread Taste Gooooood.

·
Android Beginner
48 Posts
No sd card issues, but one thing I haven't seen discussed at all on this matter is whether or not you have previously formatted the sd scard via cwm recovery and what your sd cache is set to. I reformatted my mine several months ago with a larger than average cache/buffer, I believe I chose the largest option in the cwm menu. It seems the individuals most susceptible are ones using the card as it came out of the box. Just my thoughts, could be completely irrelevant for all I know.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
I haven't done anything to my card. The only time it was formatted was when I first bought the phone. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Only time and results will tell.

Yummmm, Gingerbread Taste Gooooood.

·
Average Android
183 Posts
I also formatted in CWM I think I have 256MB for ext and 32 MB for swap. Also, has anyone had a NON-stock card be corrupted? I have a class 6 in there and I haven't had issues.

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
Radio/Modem: ED05 through OTA
Previous ROM series: ASOP v2
Mods: none

·
Android Apprentice
85 Posts
ROM version: Vanilla Gingerbread v3
How long used: Since 8/6 early morning
Radio/Modem: ec09 since it came out
Previous ROM series: Vanilla Gingerbread v2
Mods: choppers pulldown

Fried overnight.

·
Android Apprentice
25 Posts
ROM version: OMGB 1.2.2 / CM7 7-17 / MIUI / Vanilla Gingerbread v3
How long used: Interchangeably for maybe a month
Flashed via: Manual flash through supplies CWR
Downloaded via: OP post links
Radio/Modem: EB01/EC09
SD Card: Stock 16gb
Kernel: Supplied
Mods: None

I've had a total of 6 or 7 fries. One of which I could use my SD card everywhere but in CWR. I fixed it by partitioning while in CWR, then formatting again. I've had fries on all ROMS exept Vanilla GB, and that's probably because I haven't used it as much.

·
Android Apprentice
475 Posts
I've used way too many things to remember and had no issues. I'm using the stock card too. Right now I'm on
CM7 10 with ED05 radio/modem and glitch kernel.
I've seen more people having issues after using stock EC09

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
An issue with the sd card situation is partially the media scanner Ive been running everything from jt's vanilla and cm7mtd nightlies, omfgb, i ran into my first sd card issue while running omfgb and had totally failed to heed warning and back things up. when I finally hit the issue I panicked and check the storage under settings and noticed it had not mounted the sd so i assumed it was fried, with my phone on i had to pull my sd card and turn off the phone power it back up without the sd card in it. put the sd card back in and waited for the scanner to tell me nothing was there check storage and noticed it said the sd card was there with data still on it but I couldnt view it in the rom or in recovery. repeated the process and after the third time poof data came back.

·
MILF
678 Posts
Wow! A thread with details!?!?!?!? I must really NOT be on xda any more :D

The only change any time recently that could *possibly* have anything to do with sdcards is an upstream kernel fix mainly targeted at GSM users. It allows them to use their external sdcard when using GB bootloaders. This was basically a non-issue for us anyways, but I have not experienced any sdcard issues on 2 devices, but I *am* using GB bootloaders.

Linked below are bootloaders from EC09. To flash with Odin, unzip the file and flash the .tar. To flash with heimdall, unpack both of them, and do : heimdall flash --primary-boot boot.bin --secondary-boot Sbl.bin

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14764513/GBBootloaders.zip

·
Android Apprentice
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you jt. I still have the ability to veiw my SD card through Astro. I'm interested to see if this will make it usable with out having to reformat (scratching head). Regardless, it's an option I'm sure we all look forward to trying at thus point.
Much Thanks :)

·
Android Apprentice
45 Posts
jt1134 said:
Hmmmm...just got a possibly related pull request on github. Will pull it and test in a little bit.
Erp, standing by.

[Edit] I ran jt1134's GBBootloaders.tar through Odin. My SD cards functionality is back in full swing. I am now able to move apps 2 SD, edit files through 3rd party explorers and stock. Also, a few other SD related quarks that started happening shortly after this day started have no more issues.
Who else has tried this? Was your SD card completely fubard, or were you able to see it but not utilize it? My situation was the latter.

Thanks jt.
Thanks contributers.
:)

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Radio/Modem: Ec09 flashed in odin
Previous ROM series: comrom 2.1
Mods: Choppers pulldown toggles

My card is now fully unrecognized by my phone. I cannot format in recovery or elsewhere.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
tiptop said:
Erp, standing by.

[Edit] I ran jt1134's GBBootloaders.tar through Odin. My SD cards functionality is back in full swing. I am now able to move apps 2 SD, edit files through 3rd party explorers and stock. Also, a few other SD related quarks that started happening shortly after this day started have no more issues.
Who else has tried this? Was your SD card completely fubard, or were you able to see it but not utilize it? My situation was the latter.

Thanks jt.
Thanks contributers.
:)
My card was fully fubar. I tried this method and had no changes, unfortunately. Glad it worked for you though!

·
82 Posts
Running JT Vanilla version 3 with stock kernel and EC09 radio. Came from CM7 with JT stock kernel. Before loading JT's Gingerbreads I odined back to the EC09 leak (used pit) and used a backup SD card. After getting first Vanilla release loaded I put my stock 16gig SD card back in.

Since then installed version two via CWM (4.x.x) and then Version 3 through ROM Manager premium.

I have had no SD issues in the past versions of GB including the original leak,CM7, or JT's Vanilla versions. Hope this will help................

·
Android Apprentice
10 Posts
In keeping with st00p1d's formula:
Rom: vanilla gb v3
How long running: since 8/5
Flashed via: cwm from cm7/NO ROM MANAGER
Download via: PC
Radio/Modem: ED05
Previous Rom: vanilla gb v2
SD Card: Patriot class 10/16 gb from micro center
Kernal: Glitch v 11.1/oc 1400
mods: chopper's pull down toggle
Misc: Thanks JT for supporting the fascinate
NO ISSUES TO REPORT

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
Just outta curiosity. If we haven't had any issues with the SD card. Would it he benificial for us to flash the GB bootloader file. I'm on a mesmerize and so far I haven't had any issues with my card. Anywho, as always JT your work is very much appreciated. thanks a ton.

Gingerbread is Yummy :)

1 - 20 of 237 Posts