Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
I just live here
Joined
·
475 Posts
Adrynalyne said:
Knowing that the Prime (which won't be its name, or even board name I am sure) has made it as far as the Nexus One...and knowing Verizon canned that one....

Who thinks they may do the same here?

;)
Won't happen, the fact they passed on the SGSII for this, knowing their customer base would expect something HUGE after passing on the consumer phone of the year to date. They would expect a VERY large customer drop rate after contracts expire IF they did.
 

·
Developer
Joined
·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rythmyc said:
Won't happen, the fact they passed on the SGSII for this, knowing their customer base would expect something HUGE after passing on the consumer phone of the year to date. They would expect a VERY large customer drop rate after contracts expire IF they did.
Overall, they wouldn't lose much because those who follow this stuff are relatively small compared to their full customer base. Then there are the majority of those that talk big, but never leave.

So estimated customer drop: .0001% :D
 

·
I just live here
Joined
·
475 Posts
I wasn't saying that because of even developers, it's still a highly anticipated phone because of ICS. It gave the customer base something to show off to SGSII owners. If they pass on this too, they have nothing AND missed out on the SGSII
 

·
Developer
Joined
·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rythmyc said:
I wasn't saying that because of even developers, it's still a highly anticipated phone because of ICS. It gave the customer base something to show off to SGSII owners. If they pass on this too, they have nothing AND missed out on the SGSII
Most Android users know nothing of ICS so there are no expectations. From a spec standpoint, the Vigor is equivalent. Last, Verizon loses revenue by not being able to market their Appstore and vcast stuff. They would have to condone unlocked devices on their network, have no control over software, and that doesn't sound like Verizon who is scared of free tethering.

Do the math and tell me you don't come to the same possible conclusion?
 

·
I just live here
Joined
·
475 Posts
Adrynalyne said:
Most Android users know nothing of ICS so there are no expectations. From a spec standpoint, the Vigor is equivalent. Last, Verizon loses revenue by not being able to market their Appstore and vcast stuff. They would have to condone unlocked devices on their network, have no control over software, and that doesn't sound like Verizon who is scared of free tethering.

Do the math and tell me you don't come to the same possible conclusion?
While I completely agree with your statement about Verizon and their lack of ability to support a device with open capabilities. I can't help but be optimistic about this phone, considering there has to be a reason they passed on the SGSII. It's really the one and only reason I am being as optimistic as I am. Especially considering a new phone model was just passed through the FCC under AT&T's basebands that matches the "other" model number of the "Nexus Prime / Galaxy Nexus". I'll just wait until the announcement watching with anticipation and my fingers crossed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
I know a few sense developers/lovers who are all trying to downplay the release of the prime. Fact is, they hope that the prime isn't pure AOSP because that is the only way that their precious "vigor" could even come close to stacking up against the prime. Keep trying guys, but the fact is, the prime WILL be pure AOSP and superior to the vigor in every way with possibly the exception of a slightly lower cpu speed. Nothing against the vigor but htc has never impressed in the hardware dept. compared to samsung. Face it, samsung is where it's at. SGSII, NexusPrime and SGSIII etc....

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
2 Posts
kidserious said:
I know a few sense developers/lovers who are all trying to downplay the release of the prime. Fact is, they hope that the prime isn't pure AOSP because that is the only way that their precious "vigor" could even come close to stacking up against the prime. Keep trying guys, but the fact is, the prime WILL be pure AOSP and superior to the vigor in every way with possibly the exception of a slightly lower cpu speed. Nothing against the vigor but htc has never impressed in the hardware dept. compared to samsung. Face it, samsung is where it's at. SGSII, NexusPrime and SGSIII etc....

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
Wow, how much does Samsung pay you for that sweet PR you're doing there? Just kidding :tongue3: Honestly, though, look at the facts behind the whole situation. Verizon passed on the NexusOne(after a rather drawn out back and forth on whether or not they were getting it), released the Droid Incredible. They passed on the Nexus S, released the Droid Charge sometime afterwards. More than anything, it seems to me that VZW is only interested in locked down devices they can inject their bloat into. I sincerely hope that the Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus is released as a pure Google Experience Device. However, I can't see that happening. This just doesn't match VZW's MO, or atleast what we've seen on nearly every Android device after the Droid 1.
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
31 Posts
Mean Bro Greene said:
Wow, how much does Samsung pay you for that sweet PR you're doing there? Just kidding :tongue3: Honestly, though, look at the facts behind the whole situation. Verizon passed on the NexusOne(after a rather drawn out back and forth on whether or not they were getting it), released the Droid Incredible. They passed on the Nexus S, released the Droid Charge sometime afterwards. More than anything, it seems to me that VZW is only interested in locked down devices they can inject their bloat into. I sincerely hope that the Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus is released as a pure Google Experience Device. However, I can't see that happening. This just doesn't match VZW's MO, or atleast what we've seen on nearly every Android device after the Droid 1.
BUT this is a big exclusive deal for Verizon. They get the absolute bleeding edge and a 60, 90 day or whatever exclusive on it. I have to think there is a lot of value in being able to offer the only ICS phone for that 60-90 day period - enough that they can pass on shoving their bloat on it. Besides they probably won't have their bloat crapware rewritten for ICS until mid-2012 lol.
 

·
Developer
Joined
·
573 Posts
kidserious said:
I know a few sense developers/lovers who are all trying to downplay the release of the prime. Fact is, they hope that the prime isn't pure AOSP because that is the only way that their precious "vigor" could even come close to stacking up against the prime. Keep trying guys, but the fact is, the prime WILL be pure AOSP and superior to the vigor in every way with possibly the exception of a slightly lower cpu speed. Nothing against the vigor but htc has never impressed in the hardware dept. compared to samsung. Face it, samsung is where it's at. SGSII, NexusPrime and SGSIII etc....

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
I am trying to downplay the release? My precious Vigor?

I have developed across HTC, Samsung, and Motorola. I have also built pure aosp roms. You sir, are dumber than a box full of rocks.

Edit: The hilarity of your comment was that I have been looking to get the Prime and maybe the Vigor as well. So please stop the stereotype that crap. The whole point of this thread was to discuss a what if... scenario.
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
203 Posts
"the kid escobar said:
Sounds like Prime isn't gonna happen.
You obviously know nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Adrynalyne said:
I am trying to downplay the release? My precious Vigor?

I have developed across HTC, Samsung, and Motorola. I have also built pure aosp roms. You sir, are dumber than a box full of rocks.

Edit: The hilarity of your comment was that I have been looking to get the Prime and maybe the Vigor as well. So please stop the stereotype that crap. The whole point of this thread was to discuss a what if... scenario.
Come on bro, a box of rocks? Don't sell me short, I can be way dumber than that, I promise. xD Didn't mean to piss you off man, relax. :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
43 Posts
There is no guarantee with these companies until the phone actually hits the shelf for retail. The one thing we really have going for us showing the next Nexus phone as being on Verizon is that they passed on the Galaxy S II. I've found that even the non-tech crowd knew about the Galaxy S II and were requesting the phone. We shall see in just a few weeks.

I really think it is actually a good idea to postpone the announcement. The iPhone release was much less spectacular than many expected. I don't see why Google and Samsung need to show there cards now until closer to the phone's release.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
 

·
Tech Fiend
Joined
·
70 Posts
Adrynalyne said:
The reality is, it will probably ship. :)

I am just playing devil's advocate.
Trololol.

Yea, I no longer have any doubts this is happening. Just wondering what kind of compromises Google made to get this device on Verizon.
 
1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Top