Android OS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I planned on upgrading from Dxmiuiics216Stable to the version of Miui here http://rootzwiki.com...otmenu-scripts/ After rebooting into recovery from Miui's reboot menu, i was not taken to the CWM, but to the home screen of an unknown version of miui. In this version I cannot connect to Wifi or 3g and am unable to run Clockwork mod. It also looks nothing like the ICS version of Miui I was running previously, but more like a Gingerbread version. Any help in getting my reconnected or reverting to my previous rom?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you made a nand backup?? try restoring it and see what happens...

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm unable to flash recovery in Rom Manager without an internet connection (it gives me an error). I've tried searching for a way to do it without Rom Manager, but I haven't found a way. Is there a good guide to doing this without any internet connection on the phone or without going through Rom Manager (maybe through ADB or something)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm unable to flash recovery in Rom Manager without an internet connection (it gives me an error). I've tried searching for a way to do it without Rom Manager, but I haven't found a way. Is there a good guide to doing this without any internet connection on the phone or without going through Rom Manager (maybe through ADB or something)?
You can flash it manually with a 2nd init apk...you will need to get the app in your SDcard....In the forum thread I recommended you have the instructions to install CWM recovery manually in MIUI Roms...

Check this,It might be helpful....

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X:_Full_Update_Guide#Installing_the_Droid_2_Recovery_Bootstrap_with_the_ClockworkMod_Recovery

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the .apk you're referring to is the Droid 2 Bootstrapper, then yes I have tried this method before to no avail. When following the guide you just posted, I cannot push the .apk to the phone because the system partition is read-only (I am not certain what command needs to be done to mount this is read/write). When I run the .apk from the sdcard (using file explorer), the program installs no problem. From there, I select "Bootstrap Recovery" and it says "Success!", then when I select Reboot Recovery, it reboots the phone but does NOT take it to the recovery, instead it boots right back into the ROM. If instead of selecting the "Reboot Recovery" button I manually do a "adb reboot recovery", then it reboots into the stock Droid X recovery, NOT CWM (note that I do this AFTER selecting "Bootstrap Recovery" and it still takes me to the stock recovery).

EDIT: Also, the first guide you posted (the XDA forum link) mentions that in MIUI you must select "CWM Recovery" from the reboot menu to boot into CWM. On the ROM that is currently installed, there is no such option in the reboot menu. When selecting the standard "Recovery" option, it still boots right back into the ROM, rather than taking me to the recovery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the .apk you're referring to is the Droid 2 Bootstrapper, then yes I have tried this method before to no avail. When following the guide you just posted, I cannot push the .apk to the phone because the system partition is read-only (I am not certain what command needs to be done to mount this is read/write). When I run the .apk from the sdcard (using file explorer), the program installs no problem. From there, I select "Bootstrap Recovery" and it says "Success!", then when I select Reboot Recovery, it reboots the phone but does NOT take it to the recovery, instead it boots right back into the ROM. If instead of selecting the "Reboot Recovery" button I manually do a "adb reboot recovery", then it reboots into the stock Droid X recovery, NOT CWM (note that I do this AFTER selecting "Bootstrap Recovery" and it still takes me to the stock recovery).

EDIT: Also, the first guide you posted (the XDA forum link) mentions that in MIUI you must select "CWM Recovery" from the reboot menu to boot into CWM. On the ROM that is currently installed, there is no such option in the reboot menu. When selecting the standard "Recovery" option, it still boots right back into the ROM, rather than taking me to the recovery.
I am not sure as I don't actually own your device but I have rooted a couple of Motorolas. The fact is that you have activate the custom recovery with the volume rocker down when rebooting. As soon as Motorola logo appears you will see the led light turn on in blue or green, then you will have to press the volumen rocker down and you will be prompted the option to boot into stock or custom recovery...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure as I don't actually own your device but I have rooted a couple of Motorolas. The fact is that you have activate the custom recovery with the volume rocker down when rebooting. As soon as Motorola logo appears you will see the led light turn on in blue or green, then you will have to press the volumen rocker down and you will be prompted the option to boot into stock or custom recovery...
Holding the volume down button didn't work. I followed the instructions here to access the recovery on the Droid X: http://phandroid.com/2010/07/21/how-to-boot-the-droid-x-into-recovery-mode/

I was not presented with a choice of recoveries, but was given the standard Android System Recovery (not CWM).

I have some more information which might help diagnose the issue.

Every time the phone reboots, all my settings are undone and any new apps are removed; it's like I'm fresh booting into this new ROM every time I reboot. This may have to do with the fact that I skip activating with a Google account each time (can't activate because I have no internet).

The boot animation appears to be the MIUI.us boot animation (spinning grey earth, android robot peeking from behind the U in MIUI, "United Worldwide" subtitle, http://miui.us/ URL at the bottom).

The version of MIUI which is running ("Build number" under "About Phone") is "MIUI-MIUI ICS 2.1.6". This matches the version of the ROM I had installed prior to all this, but the Android version for this ROM is being reported as "2.3.7" (Gingerbread), whereas the old one was reporting "4.0.x" (ICS).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Holding the volume down button didn't work. I followed the instructions here to access the recovery on the Droid X: http://phandroid.com...-recovery-mode/

I was not presented with a choice of recoveries, but was given the standard Android System Recovery (not CWM).

I have some more information which might help diagnose the issue.

Every time the phone reboots, all my settings are undone and any new apps are removed; it's like I'm fresh booting into this new ROM every time I reboot. This may have to do with the fact that I skip activating with a Google account each time (can't activate because I have no internet).

The boot animation appears to be the MIUI.us boot animation (spinning grey earth, android robot peeking from behind the U in MIUI, "United Worldwide" subtitle, http://miui.us/ URL at the bottom).

The version of MIUI which is running ("Build number" under "About Phone") is "MIUI-MIUI ICS 2.1.6". This matches the version of the ROM I had installed prior to all this, but the Android version for this ROM is being reported as "2.3.7" (Gingerbread), whereas the old one was reporting "4.0.x" (ICS).
I don´t what's going on....but this are the instructions to install CWM in the droid x....

http://droid.koumakan.jp/wiki/ClockworkMod_Recovery

this should be working!...if not you should try to install vía fastboot

·
Registered
39 Posts
I decided to flash a .sbf and start from scratch. My issue is now fixed. Thanks a lot for your help!
Well that's always a good idea!! I am glad that you could sort your issue out!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts