Android OS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi, I'm quite new to linux and Ubuntu but here is my problem:
For some time ago I decided that I wanted to learn more about linux and Ubuntu so I read a lot, and dualbooted my computer with a USB stick, with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and everything went good. I thought, lol. I noticed when looking around in system that I only had made the partition about 5 gb big. So I googled even more and found it just troubling to remove the dualboot due to the GRUB-bootloader (I think it is called that) and i just gave up.

Until now. I now finally decided to start over again and remove the dualboot.
I did so by removing the Ubuntu-partition and replacing the GRUB-bootloader with another bootloader, with a program called EasyBCD (link: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ ) and everything went good (I think).

So now I made a bootable USB-stick (like I did earlier), but now with Ubuntu 12.04. When I try booting from the stick, and I get to see the Ubuntu loading screen but after that I just get a graphical glitch which looks like this:
https://docs.google....SEk0SHNsWTJSalE
I have tried re-installing Ubuntu on the stick multiple times (both 32 and 64 bit, no difference) using UNetbootin (link: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) for doing this.

Thanks for any help you guys and gals can give me :)

EDIT: Problem fixed, for the one who has the same problem, check out petghost's post!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can you repost the pic i don't want to sign up to drive just to see it

·
Android Apprentice
475 Posts
That is strange. I've never seen that. Maybe make sure that your image is good, check the md5 or redownload.

Sent from my NookTablet

·
I solve problems
1,213 Posts
I have never had any luck with Unetbootin. Many times things would fail to boot for no reason. Try the opensuse studio image writer. When it asks you to select a file, type *.* in the file name box (to show all file types), and then navigate to your iso.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, sorry for not responding to any posts, I've not been home for two weeks. Also, thanks for your guys posts, I'm trying to fix my problem now.

I have never had any luck with Unetbootin. Many times things would fail to boot for no reason. Try the opensuse studio image writer. When it asks you to select a file, type *.* in the file name box (to show all file types), and then navigate to your iso.
I'm trying out opensuse right now, I will report back what happens.

Thanks for all help
!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have much experience with bootloaders, I usually just reformat everything all at once and hope the bootloader can sort itself out. Therefore, I can't help much with your partitioning/bootloader setup. However, that graphical glitch looks like a driver problem to me... Try booting the image and then mashing the space key at the loading screen. If I'm right, you should get some kind of advanced boot screen. Look around for a "nomodeset" option. Try that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have much experience with bootloaders, I usually just reformat everything all at once and hope the bootloader can sort itself out. Therefore, I can't help much with your partitioning/bootloader setup. However, that graphical glitch looks like a driver problem to me... Try booting the image and then mashing the space key at the loading screen. If I'm right, you should get some kind of advanced boot screen. Look around for a "nomodeset" option. Try that.
Ah, thanks! I've finally now got a working dualboot with Ubuntu 12.04! For some weird reason though I did not get the choice to choose partion size ( :confused: ) but that I can fix myself! I'll be sure to mention you if I ever put up a ROM or alike on Rootz ;P

Thanks for everyones help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.