Android OS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Android Beginner
202 Posts
I have been messing with the camera a bunch lately and found a few things I was wondering what you guys thought. Specifically the last set of pictures.

This camera is absolutely capable of amazing shots. Its totally situational. It's also stupid to argue about, so instead lets try and have a constructive discussion here. Each camera is going to perform different even in similar situations. Although I do understand what people are saying. For some reason some of these shots just have a large amount of artifact when they simply shouldn't. These pictures can be taken better and I truly believe this can be fixed.

Look how clear this is but unfortunately it's too dark. When I changed exposure down 1 in the settings. I would love to see a setting between 0 and 1 which would allow a happy medium for me. I think they can definitely make the camera better with some software updates.

Now this is the exact same shot taken 3 times just with different settings on the default camera app. Look how incredibly different the settings can make the shot. Auto is just simply not the best way to take a shot unfortunately.

Even more strange is the fact that if you point the camera at a light source that is too high the camera incredibly over compensates. This is usually most apparent in outdoor shots and why people keep complaining about high light shots. These are three pictures taken with the exact same settings in the exact same conditions within seconds of each other. What I did this time was force the camera software to show how different it is depending on how long and where your pointing the camera. I pointed it at my monitor directly and you can see the camera let in WAY to much light. Then as I moved it away the camera auto compensated and darkened the image. If you do this correctly you can see there is a huge ammount of compensation going on where it gives about 2-3 seconds worth of different light levels and focus's while its setting itself up. Look at how incredibly different these three shots of the exact same spot are.... Look how much clearer the third shot is with almost no artifacting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In regards to your 3 last shots this is what is known as a small dynamic range. If you want to imagine it as an LCD this camera would have a very low contrast ratio in order to have a bright bright it compromises on the low end and everything that should be black is now grey. Imagine the human eye as an AMOLED which gets amazing dynamic range. You can imagine a DSLR as a very high end LCD, better but not quite there.

This is where HDR comes in which would take all three of your shots and take the brights from the bright shot and the blacks from the black shot and combine them to form a fairly evenly lit picture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts