Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Thought Police
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Android Central:
Sprint Nextel corp and LightSquared, Inc. have just reached a 15-year deal to provide high-speed LTE services, equipment, and share expansion costs, according to Bloomberg. All the details haven't been announced, but according to insiders the deal could be valued as high as $20 billion. From a letter from LightSquared financial backer Phillip Falcone to Harbinger Capital Partner investors obtained by Bloomberg:

LightSquared and Sprint will jointly develop, deploy and operate LightSquared's 4G LTE network. Sprint will become a significant customer of LightSquared's 4G LTE network.
We have no idea how this will affect any relationship between Sprint and Clearwire (which ain't exactly the greatest in the world), but we can tell you that your current Sprint 4G phones won't stop working until long after the contract is up. If Bloomberg is right on this one (and they usually are), expect a formal announcement soonish.
link to story: http://goo.gl/NJX4T

God knows how this will piss off Clearwire...

IMO this is a stupid decision on Sprint's part. The data shows that WiMax has almost 3 times the speed potential over even LTE Advanced...

·
Professional Stuff Breaker
1,402 Posts
Potential? Sure, but LTE operates better with mobile devices, and Sprint can use VoLTE. VoIP via WiMAX won't work so well if a user moves from one tower to another. Plus, this is going to be a long process, as Lightsquared's tech knocks out GPS wherever it's used.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i read on a official release somewhere that they will be using 1900 and 1600 spectrum for lte then in 2013 they will turn on the 800 spectrum from the old i-den network in 2013 when they get LTE advanced and its also going to be voice enabled as well i wouldn't be surprised if you don't see sprint buying clear in 2013 just for their spectrum holdings (if they don't already have a deal to buy those already) http://newsroom.spri...article_id=2121 just found this article to back my claim up this also means that sprint will eventually have LTE phones that have a radio of 800,1600,1900, and 2500 quad band LTE /LTE advanced phones sounds like a great plan to me
when my shinny new phone from t-mobile is out of contract i will be happy to go back to sprint only reason i left is the wimax coverage in my area sucks unless your outside sitting down start walking and it drops connects then drops again connects again wish i had a video screen shot of what it dose maybe someone could get an app that dose that lol ATT and verizon are WAY too expensive 119 bucks for 1 phone and thats not unlimited t-mobile and sprint are the best bang for your buck service providers out there. i'll try to find the links that i saw the whole plan and repost with those in it

http://www.engadget....network-to-lte/

lightsquared anounced that they have fixed GPS issue though not everyone is convenced just yet http://www.cedmagazine.com/news/2011/12/lightsquared-tests-prove-interference-fix

·
Team L33T
824 Posts
There is a scenario being tossed around that clearwire is using their political juice to prevent this. Even though I just saw that they raised more capitol, I am just not impressed. Wimax roll outs have stalled due to the funding issue and LTE is gobbling up bands and rolling out LTE like its going out of style. Maybe we can hack our great sprint phones to run on verizon's LTE bands until this get fixed. I know one thing, Wimax isn't the 4G we all had envisioned, especially with its terrible penetration that makes it all but useless for me unless I am outside.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It has nothing to do with Wimax lte will suck just as bad if it's put on the same frequencies .... But sprint is rolling it out on better frequencies than what Wimax Is on so it will be better ....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Team L33T
824 Posts
Sprint just gave lighsquared 30 days to get FCC approval

·
Registered
71 Posts
looks like i timed my t-mobile contract just right july 2013 i'll be out of contract and able to experience sprint's new true 4G speeds with the latest and greatest phones that come out hopfully by then the SD cards will have a micro SDXC card and the phones will support them -crosses fingers- can you say 128 gig SD card in your phone -backflip-

·
Professional Stuff Breaker
1,402 Posts
OK, so because some people are acting dumb, this needs clarified: No, your current Sprint device with "800 MHz support" will NOT have LTE.

LTE will use a separate radio from CDMA, just as WiMAX and WiFi are separate radios. LTE is also Sprint's upcoming 4G network technology, while their current 4G network tech is WiMAX.

Now, your phones currently have three radios: WiFi and Bluetooth that runs on 2.4 GHz (and some run in the 5 GHz as well, aka dual-band WiFi Some devices have their WiFi+Bluetooth radios enabled to receive analog FM radio as well.), CDMA (1X/"2G" and 3G) that runs on 800-900 MHz, and 1900 MHz, and WiMAX on 2.7 GHz. These are all separate radios (for the purpose of this post, whether they're on the same chip or not is another matter). They cannot cross-communicate on each other's bands. So you can't run WiFi at 800 MHz (even though it'd mean you could easily get coverage in your entire neighborhood!), nor can you use CDMA on 2.7 GHz.

Currently, Sprint's network is like this:

800-900 MHz: Some CDMA 1X, mostly NEXTEL iDEN.
1600 MHz: Non-existant, owned by LightSquared, may or may not screw up GPS.
1900 MHz: Mostly CDMA 3G (EvDO), some CDMA 1X.
2700 MHz: Sprint/Clearwire WiMAX.

The short term goal (next two years) is this:
800-900 MHz: CDMA 3G/EvDO
1600 MHz: LTE (if the FCC, US DoD, and DoT give LightSquared their blessing)
1900 MHz: LTE
2700 MHz: WiMAX

The long-term goal (2-5 years):
800-900 MHz: LTE-Advanced (what 4G should have been, until all the US carriers basically bribed an international standards organization to say otherwise)
1600 MHz: LTE (see above)
2700 MHz: ??? (Probably WiMAX still, for legacy devices/contracts, kinda like why we still have iDEN today)

Currently, Sprint phones have the following radio configurations:
800-900 MHz: CDMA (1X and 3G)
1900 MHz: CDMA (1X and 3G)
2700 MHz: WiMAX

So, your current phone won't get 4G LTE. It can't. It'll continue to get the old WiMAX 4G for the next few years, and will get better 3G as Sprint improves their network, but no LTE. Not ever. EVER. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper will be the first phones which support Sprint's LTE network, but will probably only support it on the 1900 MHz band. So those phones will have their radios setup like so:

800-900 MHz: CDMA (1X and 3G)
1900 MHz: CDMA (1X and 3G)

Now, the real question will be whether the LTE radio will be integrated into the CDMA radio, allowing for easier switching between modes and an easier time on the battery (like how GSM devices can easily switch between 2G and 3G for battery savings, so would Sprint's LTE devices in this case), or whether LTE will just be a separate radio like how WiMAX is right now, and LTE is in Verizon devices.

NOTE: The above paragraph refers to the upcoming Sprint devices that support LTE. Your current device, no matter how much you twist words, Wikipedia pages, or anything else, will not support Sprint's LTE network. There is no magic button, switch, software update, or anything else.

·
Team L33T
824 Posts
Haha, I just can't believe Sprint has taken this long to shut down their iDen network. It might have still paid the bills, they could already be building out their LTE network on that band right now.
Radioshack employees, idiots who can't tell the difference between an EVO and a Cadillac, and people who comment on Android Police.

·
THAT GUY!
74 Posts
i guess the question i have is will everybody get it, or will it be like wimax where i had an evo up until last month and i bought my GNex.....i had 4g in boston but now i've lived in ohio for a little over a year and the nearest wimax signal is like 3 hours away! i mean the way sprint sets up their signal is like an onion.....they just keep adding layers......the more layers they put it in(LTE, WiMAX, etc.) into one tower, the more coverage that one tower will have......but how long will it take before the signals everywhere? .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts