Android OS Forum banner

Stock to extended battery

5K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  TechSavvy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just put in an extended battery in the nexus. Is it advised to charge to 100%, clear battery stats, let it discharge and then recharge it back to 100% again when coming from stock battery?

I charged to 100%, cleared stats, now it's discharging. Wondering if I should let it go all the way down...what's the concensus on that? I know that clearing battery stats doesn't improve battery life etc, but figured it wouldn't hurt. More curious about the charge cycle. Thanks!

#12 ·
From my understanding, wiping battery stats after a full charge and then letting the phone drain is so that the Android OS knows where 0% and 100% is on the particular battery you have, which makes complete sense to me.

I just got my extended battery. I'll be charging it and wiping battery stats in the morning and then let it drain tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
It really does nothing. That is what it was previously thought to do.

https://plus.google....sts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Coming from a google dev, it has never and still doesn't do anything. No calibrating involved. Just charge the phone like normal.

Edit: Also, completely draining the battery can do more harm than good. Granted, the phone will shut off before the voltage gets below a dangerous level, it still does nothing to calibrate anything.

#16 ·
I have monitored my battery % VERY closely for the past 3 weeks. With the standard battery I would be around 40-55% after a day of work with no time plugged into the charger. I got the extended battery and noticed that my to my dismay my % did not change much. My days would end with 45-60% battery left. I decided to fully discharge, wipe battery stats and then fully charge the battery. I am on the first day after this discharge and wipe and I have noticed I have WAY MORE battery % left. I only have 1.5hrs left of work and I am still at 81% battery. It has been a normal day with no changes to my phone habits.

I will update after a few more days of testing.

#17 ·
It's a placebo lol. Read the google plus post a few posts up. That is straight from google.

#24 ·
This was helpful on the whole because I've been getting 20 hours easy with two hours of screen on time a day. I just ordered a 2100 extended battery so this was a nifty little thread to read. I have to lean towards thinking that full drains could be helpful. Reading some of the AOSP builds one dev said he changed the battery reading from 1750 to 1850 for the VZW G'Nex and that has always stuck with me. For some of us that are using custom roms I have to say that full drains are more likely to be helpful than if we ran stock roms. Google Devs can really only comment on things that come straight from Google. Other custom rom developers would probably have different opinions based on the kind of things they do to source. just sayin.

#25 ·
My phone's extended battery will say "Charged" on lock screen, but still show 98-99% on the status bar, after an all night charge. Something in the software is getting crossed... somehow. What it is and what Batt Stats have to do with it, I'm not sure. It's not every time either, so it's not simply a problem with the images used for the battery indicator in the ROM(Tranq 7.0k,l,m,o,p). Just my experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is normal. My stock battery does it and plenty of posts about it elsewhere. It's to prevent over charging of the battery, which is also bad for it. If you were to sit there and watch it, it will go to 100% and then back down to around 98.

ALSO. The 2100 mAh battery would not account for having 35% more battery at the end of the day. The battery itself is only 10% larger if that. Only usage habits could account for such a large increase in life.

#31 ·
I had the 98% battery issue when upgrading to the 2100. It stayed that way for a week. Then I wiped battery stats, let it run two or three days, and now it charges to 100%. Yes, the 98% thing has to do with overcharging. But the phone is supposed to read (hence calibrate) the stats to say 100% when it won't charge anymore.

This is off experience rather than here say. Like he said above, call it a fluke, call it magic, point is it worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.