Android OS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Developer
200 Posts
klm22 said:
just use your favorite root file explorer and rename /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to something else. no more ota pushes.
From what i understand this will cause massive battery use. The proper fix is to edit the build.prop file to say the rom is the latest release for your phone.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

·
Developer
200 Posts
abqnm said:
That is correct. I would also recommend the otacerts.zip renaming as well since that should prevent it from installing should it download anyway or is already downloaded.
The correct fix is to have the build.prop the same as the latest ota. Hmm think about it. If the phone thinks its at the latest ota already why would it download the update. Think about it. This is the fix.

Renaming or removing the oatcerts will cause excessive battery use. Fix the build.prop

·
Developer
200 Posts
abqnm said:
Agreed that the build.prop mod should prevent the update as well, but editing the build.prop version info can cause market issues and is a lot more involved for beginners and is more dangerous. As for otacerts.zip causing battery issues, I agreed on that part. Renaming the otacerts.zip will not cause battery issues if you rename it IN ADDITION to renaming the smithmicro download manager because it won't be able to download the update anyway. The reason for renaming both is so it doesn't download and so if it has already downloaded, it will not install.
Really this should not even be left to the user. The rom developer should resolve this issue. I think that this users should kindly ask the developer to fix that issue. As for smithmicro that is good to know.

Though i don't have an inc2 this was a problem for us as well on the inc1. I hope the OP got the problem resolved

·
Developer
200 Posts
abqnm said:
Agreed that the ROM devs should have fixed that before release, but I don't think that all the devs knew and/or know what the smith micro dm does. I don't hold it against them since we are not buying the roms. If they were for sale, I would expect it though. As for the dev making the build.prop correct, when it was released, it likely was correct. Many of these ROMs are not updated frequently, if at all, so if that is all they did to block it, then the next release would require it to be updated again. Without the DM there it won't matter what the current version is. +$.02
Hmm you make a very good point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.