Android OS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just trying to flash CM7 Nightly 14 to my friend's phone a few hours ago. However, every time I got stuck at the "M" logo and had to SBF. I just did this for my own phone and it worked perfectly, so I have no idea what the problem was. Here were my steps:

  • SBF back to 2.3.340
  • Root with Z4root
  • Installed Droid 2 Bootstrapper 1.0.0.5 (also tried Droid X verson)
  • Reboot into recovery 2.x.x.x
  • Wipe Data/Reset
  • Install the nightly .zip followed by the gapps.zip
  • Reboot device

I did this whole process 3 times (very frustrating and time consuming). Yes I also tried going into the factory recovery and wiping data/resetting.

What is strange is that SSX 2.0, which is based off of CM7, worked perfectly the first time I tried. He is now on that for the time being (man are the icons/images ugly in that ROM btw). Any ideas what could have been wrong?
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
559 Posts
Don't you need to be on the 4.x.x.x version of clockwork to flash the nightlies? SSX works (just like I'm sure the original beta would) because of some reason that I can't explain. The nightlies require something different in the programming of the recovery program.
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
14 Posts
You forgot to mount system, I did the same thing my first time.

The steps are as follows (once the zip is on your SDCard and you are in recovery):

1.go to mounts and storage
2.format system
3.format data
4.format cache
5.mount system
6.go back
7.go to install update from zip
8.select the update zip
9.install
10.install gapps (optionally)
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superdroid said:
You forgot to mount system, I did the same thing my first time.

The steps are as follows (once the zip is on your SDCard and you are in recovery):

1.go to mounts and storage
2.format system
3.format data
4.format cache
5.mount system
6.go back
7.go to install update from zip
8.select the update zip
9.install
10.install gapps (optionally)
I'm not able to try this at the moment but thanks! I am still confused though... how come I didn't have to do that on my phone? Also I searched all over and no one said anything about having to mount /system first...
 
G

·
SyNiK4L said:
ya u dont have to mount system
Yeah, I never had to mount system either. Here's what I did:

1. SBF to 2.3.340.
2. Z4Root
3. Droid 2 Bootstrapper and reboot into recovery
4. Flash original CM7 pre-nightly zip
5. Use ROM Manager and select 2nd-init recovery
6. Flash latest nightly

I've never had any problems. I know you can probably go straight to the latest nightly by just skipping the flash of the pre-nightly CM7 and using ROM Manager to flash the latest nightly. You probably don't want to be attempting to flash the latest nightly without being on the 2nd-init recovery (4.x.x.x).
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swiftmazda said:
You probably don't want to be attempting to flash the latest nightly without being on the 2nd-init recovery (4.x.x.x).
What I don't understand is that it worked just fine on my phone with 2.x.x.x
 

·
I just hide here
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
swiftmazda said:
Yeah, I never had to mount system either. Here's what I did:

1. SBF to 2.3.340.
2. Z4Root
3. Droid 2 Bootstrapper and reboot into recovery
4. Flash original CM7 pre-nightly zip
5. Use ROM Manager and select 2nd-init recovery
6. Flash latest nightly

I've never had any problems. I know you can probably go straight to the latest nightly by just skipping the flash of the pre-nightly CM7 and using ROM Manager to flash the latest nightly. You probably don't want to be attempting to flash the latest nightly without being on the 2nd-init recovery (4.x.x.x).
I wanna say that i flashed 4.X.X.X when i did it. But i dn...I cant remember now....But either way what swift said here should work.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top