Android OS Forum banner
321 - 340 of 370 Posts

·
Android Veteran
218 Posts
Just shrink your browser window smaller than the width of the top title/control bar - the horizontal scrollbars only scroll the content below it, not the actual bar.
I know it's been a while, but.... This ^^ describes the problem exactly. The top menu bar appears to be a hard-coded, fixed width. If you notice in the first screenshot, I can scroll to the right (look at horizontal scrollbar). In the second shot, I've scrolled as far right as I can go and notice the text (my username, for example) in the top bar. It hasn't moved. The only solution is to make the browser wider.

Hmmm, why do I not have any "Attach" options ?

·
Android Veteran
218 Posts
Hmmm, why do I not have any "Attach" options ?
It appears that attachments aren't enabled for this sub-forum (Site News). I tried linking to the images from my Dropbox folder as well but it says that's not allowed....

·
just some dude
413 Posts
I know it's been a while, but.... This ^^ describes the problem exactly. The top menu bar appears to be a hard-coded, fixed width. If you notice in the first screenshot, I can scroll to the right (look at horizontal scrollbar). In the second shot, I've scrolled as far right as I can go and notice the text (my username, for example) in the top bar. It hasn't moved. The only solution is to make the browser wider...
anyone have a solution for this yet? on my 1024x768 laptop display, there is no way to scroll the top bar all the way to the right side (tried internet explorer 8, firefox 13 and chrome). without the ability to scroll the top bar right, i have no way to get to my user ID link so i can select "followed content" and see my subscribed threads. is there any other way to get to my subscribed content? thanks

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
anyone have a solution for this yet? on my 1024x768 laptop display, there is no way to scroll the top bar all the way to the right side (tried internet explorer 8, firefox 13 and chrome). without the ability to scroll the top bar right, i have no way to get to my user ID link so i can select "followed content" and see my subscribed threads. is there any other way to get to my subscribed content? thanks
You could zoom out a little to get to it. browsers have zoom option.

You can also click on "New Content" in the site navigation bar and view your followed/subscribed content.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
You can install a slightly smaller version of the restyling I did for rootzwiki where I adjusted things to fit at 960px, the normal width for most fixed width sites. Just follow the directions at the link and install the userstyles plugin or if you use opera, enable usercss and such.

This comes with no obligation that I will update it in the future (or obligation of support in any other way) though as I don't have a small screen like that and I did it for free (also I'm not interested in changing parts of the theme if something about it bothers you. It's how I like the forum to look personally and I just share it being nice for anyone else). However, it'll work for now until they update the site in some significant way.

It didn't take too much extra time to change versus my normal theme, so if anyone does use it and I don't update it, they just have to leave a comment or something that I will see and I might update it if it's not a hassle. Restyling was done in Opera, but it should more or less look the same on any modern, up to date browser. For users that don't know how to easily use usercss in opera, you can use an extension found here or manually like I do here. No guarantees though it'll look 100% the same in other browsers though and don't really have time to go fiddling with fixing it for other browsers. I only worry about browser compatibility when I'm getting paid for it

Oh and anyone that was complaining about the site size and downloaded without saying thanks, you're welcome for me feeling sorry for you

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
you're the dude, thank you very much! works awesome with Firefox 13, and now i can hang on to my trusty old ThinkPad a little while longer...
I'm glad someone found it useful. I normally make sites work in 1024px that I would be developing, but to me after seeing rootwiki (which I had nothing to do with development wise) 200px wider, it seems kind of narrow at 960px.

I can probably merge the two themes I did together sometime, but that would take a bit more work and just hacking it to be two different ones was simple enough for now.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There are a few things about the site design that I think are done very well in comparison to a lot of other forums that I just want to highlight. Partially to compliment the people behind it, because positive feedback is always in short supply, and also because while I think I detect a lot of forethought and planning, it never hurts to put labels on things you'd like to see more of.

-The use of color contrast here is great for drawing the eye where it needs to go. High contract demands the eye's attention and makes thing like buttons and titles "pop". Low contrast differentiates regions of the page without demanding the eye's attention, and the shades of grey and light green on white do this very well.

-Minimal use of icons give the site its own flavor without being a thing that draws attention to itself at the cost of effective visual layout. See for counterexample (i.e. please don't go here): XDA has two columns of icons in forum view. One indicates status of the thread (locked, sticky, unread, etc), the other is for users to choose something. The options for the second were recently expanded; I would argue the entire thing should be nixed. As a visual element, they introduced a random coloring effect, and draw attention to themselves without always effectively communicating what they signify. As a communicative element, they allow the user to choose one option from a too varied pool (angry, happy, database, clock, to name a few), sort of like a much less effective version of just writing tags.

-Nested forums are fairly easy to navigate vertically, and they tend to be well-differentiated horizontally (i.e. the topics that forums define tend to be different enough to warrant segregating the posts without being overly specific that you are jumping between them too often).

-This one is less design and more to the credit of the mods and people who post in general, but stickies tend to be few in number and contain links to essential threads rather than being an overload of topics that attempt to predict specifically what a user might be looking for.

So overall, kudos! Always room for improvement of course, be there were just a few things I was reflecting on recently and wanted to share.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
There are a few things about the site design that I think are done very well in comparison to a lot of other forums that I just want to highlight. Partially to compliment the people behind it, because positive feedback is always in short supply, and also because while I think I detect a lot of forethought and planning, it never hurts to put labels on things you'd like to see more of.

-The use of color contrast here is great for drawing the eye where it needs to go. High contract demands the eye's attention and makes thing like buttons and titles "pop". Low contrast differentiates regions of the page without demanding the eye's attention, and the shades of grey and light green on white do this very well.

-Minimal use of icons give the site its own flavor without being a thing that draws attention to itself at the cost of effective visual layout. See for counterexample (i.e. please don't go here): XDA has two columns of icons in forum view. One indicates status of the thread (locked, sticky, unread, etc), the other is for users to choose something. The options for the second were recently expanded; I would argue the entire thing should be nixed. As a visual element, they introduced a random coloring effect, and draw attention to themselves without always effectively communicating what they signify. As a communicative element, they allow the user to choose one option from a too varied pool (angry, happy, database, clock, to name a few), sort of like a much less effective version of just writing tags.

-Nested forums are fairly easy to navigate vertically, and they tend to be well-differentiated horizontally (i.e. the topics that forums define tend to be different enough to warrant segregating the posts without being overly specific that you are jumping between them too often).

-This one is less design and more to the credit of the mods and people who post in general, but stickies tend to be few in number and contain links to essential threads rather than being an overload of topics that attempt to predict specifically what a user might be looking for.

So overall, kudos! Always room for improvement of course, be there were just a few things I was reflecting on recently and wanted to share.
You are welcome to use usercss and userjs (greasemonkey) to re-theme the site and share with others. I do that, but mainly to remove clutter and a few other annoyances (like the top bar scrolling with the page). Some day I may re-theme the site totally and submit it as a prototype, but I'm pretty busy doing other things at the moment (paying bills mostly and re-theming the site is volunteer work, lol).

Some links to get you started:

https://developer.mo...Getting_Started

http://www.w3schools.com/css/

http://www.opera.com/docs/usercss/

http://www-archive.m...ustomizing.html

https://www.google.c...0.0.au0vtC-1zpM

https://github.com/J...be/stylish/wiki

https://www.google.c...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.c...0.0.yhXZdq9aIR8

·
Android Apprentice
127 Posts
Using the RootzWiki forum app, I've lost the Galaxy Nexus forum under Samsung. I still see threads in the Unread list, but cannot go to the main forum any longer. I need this forum ASAP with the new Jelly Bean ROM info and such coming so quickly. Any fix for this?!

Never mind... it's in a new section now(Google->Nexus Devices). Glad I found it lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
47 Posts

Since there are currently only 3 Team forums, would you please list them on the main Forum page as sub headings (links) to the team forums.. Even if more teams are added, i think you could easily add more to the space.. It just saves a couple clicks..

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm finding that the notifications dropdown from the static black bar at the top of the screen no longer works in Firefox. I believe that the live-updating "there have been x replies to this thread" feature when replying to something is seeing the same effect. This started a few days ago, but at first I assumed it was a temporary server issue, and now I can see that it's specific to this browser. Been sort of a headache to troubleshoot, but here's what I've found:

-This is true on the beta and stable channels (currently, 15b1, and 14.0.1 stable).
-The problem DOES NOT occur when firefox is started in "safe mode" (Help->Restart with Addons disabled)
-The problem DOES occur with any/all extensions manually disabled, but not in safe mode (took my a while to figure out that I wasn't going to track down one troublesome extension by disabling/enabling them one at a time.
-Sometimes the behavior is erratic immediately after a restart. (Basically, you need to browse the site for a few clicks to make sure you're seeing the correct behavior)
-The notifications dropdown DOES work for just a moment if I open up my notification history page, and this is true regardless of all other conditions that seem to inhibit it.

I've had experiences in the past where making a fresh firefox profile was the only solution to bugs that weren't coming from extensions, so that's going to be my next resort if nobody else seems to be able to replicate this.

Edit: Unrelated, but any particular reason there are two threads for feedback here? From what I can tell they are functionally identical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not want to look because I have too much time, but is it possible to switch off immediate notification (email) on the responses of the subscribed topic for the next posts after the first unread?
This annoying e-mails as they come about every answer in the subscribed topic, enough for one message first unread post

sorry for my english (google translate)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it possible to make RW more dynamic, i.e. real-time updates of friends online, message alerts, new posts in the thread you are viewing, etc. I realize most of this info can be obtained by simply refreshing the page. But other forums have this capability, why can't RW?

·
Android Beginner
63 Posts
Nook HD/HD+ sections could be useful here. I know in the past not much Nook stuff has happened on here, but there's been development going on at xda in the Nook Color section. All the threads got closed and there's no Nook HD/HD+ section yet there (so discussion has ground to a halt).
I'd rather see that stuff here, so maybe it's a good opportunity to give those devices a new, better home?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
63 Posts
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Can we get a section for the Nook HD/HD+?[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I know in the past not much Nook stuff has happened on here, but there's been development going on at xda in the Nook Color section. All the threads got closed and there's no Nook HD/HD+ section yet there (so discussion has ground to a halt). People are requesting a Nook HD/HD+ forum over there frantically but the requests are falling on deaf ears (no surprise to me)?[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I'd rather see that stuff here (Rootz is SO much better than xda), so maybe it's a good opportunity to give those devices a new, better home?[/background]

·
Android Apprentice
372 Posts
I would like to suggest that RootzWiki promote their site to GSM phone users and devs. I fell in love with RW when I had the Verizon Gnex. It was a great place! All the devs for that phone were here and it seemed all the users too. The other place was a ghost town for the VZW Gnex. But...when I ditched VZW for the GSM Gnex, I found this place to be the ghost town. It's sad really. Now, I have a Nexus 4 and it's development is a ghost town here. It seems like all VZW phones have good support here, but other carriers or unlocked phones don't have much.

Hopefully the Nexus 4 giveaway will get some interest, but I don't see it generating much new development. If there is a way I can help, please PM me. I have donated in the past and will donate again.

IMO, this is a better community with better people and better staff. I just wish other GSM users and devs felt the same way. I want this to be my go to place for Nexus 4 development, but right now, it just lacks.

I hope I don't offend any of the staff here. That is not my intention. I just am hoping to get some movement on promoting for other devices. You guys do a great job here and maybe your intention is to keep it a smaller more tight nit community. That's great! But lack of development is bad for users.

Maybe contests for best ROM, theme or other hacks to win prizes for devs. It doesn't have to be a big extravagant prize like a phone or tablet every time. Maybe a $25 Play Store gift card, or something like that.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope we can get some Nexus 4 devs here on RW!

321 - 340 of 370 Posts