Android OS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Developer
195 Posts
I know there are a few hostile gentlemen out there that are anti-tethering in this community and a another group that are pro-tethering. I have a few topics of discussion for everyone related to the case FCC complaint filed by Free Press vs Verizon related to restricting customers abilities to make choices. Feel free to diverge the conversation to whatever you want, but I figured I'd just get it started.

1. Should you have to pay the tethering fee?

2. If you have an unlimited data plan or stay under your current plans limit, should you still have to pay a tethering fee if you bypass it?

3. Should you have to buy their tethering software?

4. Why should their software be immune to free market rules allowing someone else to produce it for cheaper and/or better?

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to pay a tethering fee unless you want it to be separate from your data used (ie: phone data / tethering data). I don't currently tether my phone, but I also barely scratch the surface of my unlimited data plan that Verizon offered me just to get the friends and family plan where I could add numbers to my phone and call them without worrying about going over my minutes. Should you have to? No. I think they could put it in the stores or on the phones and let people decide which one they want to buy. Price it competitively, I know they would probably just put it on their phone the same way Microsoft puts IE on their OS. So why haven't they been hit by an Antitrust lawsuit yet? Oh well, guess we're not in Europe.

tl;dr Talked about thALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

· Developer
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I lived in Wisconsin, I believe they said I had to rent their wireless router for $5 a month if I wanted to have multiple connections (I believe, it's been a while). I just ended up telling them I was only going with one computer and plugging my own in, because I'd much rather use my own brand of router that has my own features than the one they choose. They don't offer USB tethering with the Verizon tethering program do they? I mean that seems kinda unfair to choose which computer of mine I can use tethering on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.