Android OS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN ANDROID
222 Posts
I don't really see anything wrong with carriers saying hey if you want to tether then you need to buy this one time app from us. Just a one time fee. Or at least lower the monthly subscription for tethering. But honestly the issue is not really tethering per say. See there are people who tether and I mean they tether, they connect their laptops, PC, Mac, and mostly their game systems in order to play online. All this and by the end of the month they have used up around 20GB of data off of their "unlimited plan."

I think this is where carriers draw the line... because if the majority of people did this then I could see the network becoming bogged down. Especially since people will then view it as a reason to rid themselves of high speed internet. No need to pay for both when you can tether your phone and use a 4G network connection. A vast majority of people would do this, hell can't really blame them either. Do I understand where carriers are coming from? Yes. Do I think they currently charge to much? Yes. Do I think people would abuse it more than they already do? Most certainty.

· THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN ANDROID
222 Posts
I see the argument with routers as being practically the same thing.. but essentially I can't take my router to my friends house 6 blocks down the road and power his gaming system with it when he currently has no internet connection in his house. Where as I could take my data enabled smart phone down there and power his gaming system with it. So you pay for home broadband but it essentially stays in your home. Sure some neighbors may be able to leach off of it ... but not like they could mobile data...

I could be an average user and not set a PW on my tethering app... so I start it up and then you have 10 people around you who notice its availability on whatever device they are trying to connect and now they all are using your data... its like going to Starbucks and using their internet connection free...

I do think that carriers are price gouging users... I think they go excessive with fees and rules at times... and I do think you should be able to use something you pay for to the full extent .. but everything has to be within reason ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.