Android OS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a rooted charge, and my major issue is that I have unlimited data and I can still be charged for using extra. I dont use the tether often at all, just have some mixed feelings and issues with this, and the lack of 4G in my area, any thoughts?

·
Themer
332 Posts
im with you there, being grandfathered in for UNlimited doesnt that mean i can use as much data as i want on this phone line be it whoever and whatever uses that connection? w/e

G

·
I was always under the impression that unlimited data means data sent and received on my phone by any programs on the device, especially since they offered a tethering plan when I got my Droid X. I got the unlimited data plan, of course, but I turned down the tethering plan since I knew better. ;) I'm not condoning the unauthorized use of a data plan in any shape or form, but it's just so easy to do it while also preventing the carrier from knowing that you're doing it. Heck, my sales rep at Verizon even told me that I could find ways to tether for free with a little searching on the net, but she wasn't at liberty to tell me how. The ironic thing is I noticed PDAnet on her Droid X while she let me mess with it.

·
Android Lover
194 Posts
What are some of these ways to keep tethering a secret. I was under the impression that the DO know when you tether legally or illegally?

·
Supporting Member
127 Posts
"jeffykins said:
What are some of these ways to keep tethering a secret. I was under the impression that the DO know when you tether legally or illegally?
Afaik there is no way. I have heard they have algorithms that monitor how the data is used, and its 'pretty obvious' when someone's tethering.

G

·
mcmillanje said:
Afaik there is no way. I have heard they have algorithms that monitor how the data is used, and its 'pretty obvious' when someone's tethering.
It's only obvious if you make it obvious. Then again, I don't do anything too crazy when I choose to tether. In fact, my activities during the three or four times I've tethered in the past can be done without any issues on my phone. I just needed a laptop keyboard and screen to complete the tasks quickly, which is why I tethered. I use PDAnet and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with VZW. I also only use tethering as a last resort if it's an emergency and I'm not near a wireless router. My classification of an emergency is needing to submit an assignment online for one of my college classes while on vacation or something. Chances are, I just don't throw any red flags with my minimal usage while tethering.

Data hogs while tethering are going to attract Big Red. That's why unauthorized tethering should never be a replacement for an ISP. It's the people that take mobile data too far that make VZW so vigilant in combating unauthorized tethering. It puts unnecessary strain on their 3g and 4g networks and should be discouraged, and I support their position on it 100%. I wouldn't really be upset if they figured out a way to eliminate unauthorized tethering completely, but I will continue to use it from time to time until they do so.

In other words, just be careful. PDAnet and others are great tools that allow unauthorized tethering, but don't abuse it.

·
Android Apprentice
14 Posts
I run GPS all the time when in the car, and stream XM every day. My monthly data usage is usually around 3-3.5 gigs. I have yet to be charged any additional fees for going over any imposed "data limit", considering I've had my "unlimited" data plan for over 5 years. And if they decide to charge me and additional fees for data, I'll simply take all 6 of my lines to another carrier. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts