[adiv=ipsBox clear][adiv=ipsBox_container ipsPad][adiv=ipsLayout ipsLayout_withright ipsLayout_bigright clearfix][adiv=ipsLayout_content][adiv=ipsLayout_right][adiv=ipsPad ipsSideBlock]File Name: The Sidekick 4G Development Platform AKA UnBrickable Mod and Software Based Resurrection
File Submitter: AdamOutler
File Submitted: Today, 10:50 AM
File Category: Hardware
I'm not kidding when I say UnBrickable. Modifying the OM pins means you can boot from USB, UART or MMC. This makes the device quite UNBRICKABLE. There is nothing you can do software wise to prevent the device from booting into this mode. We are communicating with the unrewritable, efused IROM on the processor. It's the thing that makes the system on a chip into a "system on a chip".I am here now to tell you how to turn your Sidekick 4G into a KIT-S5PC110 development board. The KIT-S5PC110 development board is the platform used to develop our phones. There are some differences between this mod and the official development platform. The S5PC110 has a removable internal SDCard and no touchscreen.
Why would you want to do this? When you plug in the battery and connect it to the computer in "off" mode, it will become an S5PC110 board awaiting download of a program to run. This occurs long before anything like software or firmware enters the processor. This is the IROM of the device awaiting commands or a power on signal.
How could it possibly be better then JTAG? Let's count the ways....
1. The only part required is a wire.
2. No shipping time.
3. No cost for a box to interface the computer.
5. Can be done as a preventive measure.
6. Gives the ability to test new Bootloaders temporarily.
7. Allows development of the entire system.
8. Removes worry about flashing and acts as a backup.
9. Noone has a JTAG flash available for this unit. This is currently your only hope of resurrection of a hard-bricked Sidekick4G.
After performing this mod:
Remove the battery, replace the battery, your phone will connect to the computer via USB and await commands. Otherwise it will pretty much act like a Sidekick4g. See the Special Instructions section.
Part 1:Hardware Modification
You will need:
1. Get someone who knows what they're doing with a soldering iron. If they don't know what flux is, then they don't know what they're doing. You can also speak to myself(my username @gmail.com) or Connexion2005(aka MobileTechVideos.com).
2. soldering iron - make sure it's sharp, if it's not sharp, then sharpen it, flux it and retin it.
6. A relay (for the wire within to use as a bridge)
performing the modification:
1. tear apart your phone... Make sure to take out your SIM and external SDCard before you do this. Remove the screws, remove the back plate.
2. remove the EMF Shield.
3. Perform the mod as follows: remove the xOM5 resistor and bridge the active pad to the active pad of one of the far left resistors as shown in the picture below. The idea is to bring the xOM5 value high.
Of the bank of 12 resistors, the xOM5 resistor is far right second from the top. Active pad is on the right. A high value can be obtained from the far left with active pad on the right.
4. reassemble the phone.
- This replaces the battery charging sequence. The normal battery charging sequence can be activated by holding power for 4 seconds.
- To turn on the device, and operate in normal mode, you must hold the power button for 5 seconds.
- 3 button Download mode works as usual, however you must not have the S5PC110 drivers installed on the computer. You can use your custom rom menu option, adb reboot download, or use a terminal to "reboot download". 301Kohm Factory Mode JIGs work as well, but you must press power to bypass the S5PC110 mode.
Part 2: Software Based Resurrection
- You Must have UnBrickable Mod applied to your device. If you're not sure, run this tool under Linux: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1257434
- This currently only works for Linux based computers or Windows based computers with proper drivers installed, with a Linux Virtual Machine, Get Ubuntu here: http://www.ubuntu.com , Get Virtualbox Here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- You must have Java installed on your computer: http://www.java.com/en/download/
The entire software resurrection can be summed up like this.. Please note that you will NOT see anything on screen.
1. Apply UnBrickable Mod to your device: see Hardware Modification section
2. Run The Ultimate UnBrickable Resurrector. You can find the Resurrector here in our SVN repository http://code.google.com/p/hummingbird-hibl/downloads/list
When you see this image you are in S5PC110 SEC SoC mode. When you see this mode you must proceed to step 3.
If it will only show this image, then you have not performed the modification correctly, or you have a hardware problem.
If it shows this, regardless of what's on your screen, you're in download mode:
2. Click the Download Mode button (then click the one next to it). I find it's easiest to click Download Mode, type a password, plug in the device, then press enter.
3. Run Heimdall One-Click to flash firmware on your device. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=19421384#post19421384
4. repeat steps 2 and 3 with bootloader flashing enabled (Heimdall One-Click has a safety mechanism which requires you to flash once before flashing bootloaders).
Congratulations. You now have a device which works like a KIT-S5PC110 with an OM Value of 29. Now get to developing some serious custom software.
Creating your own Samsung Bootloaders: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1233273
KIT-S5PC110 manual: http://www.mediafire.com/?94krzvvxksvmuxh
how to use DNW: http://tinyurl.com/dnw-how-to
Flash using openOCD and DNW: http://www.arm9board.net/wiki/index.php?title=Flash_using_OpenOCD_and_DNW
another DNW example: http://www.boardset.com/products/mv6410.php
ODroid dev center: http://dev.odroid.com/projects/uboot/wiki/#s-7.2
drivers and utilities
This will be an ever expanding list
Linux Automated UnBricker:http://code.google.com/p/hummingbird-hibl/downloads/list
Windows Drivers http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=678937&d=1312590673
Windows Download Tool DNW: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=678938&d=1312590673
Windows Command Line tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17202523&postcount=27
Linux DNW Utility: http://dev.odroid.com/projects/uboot/wiki/#s-7.2
Linux ModeDetect tool: http://code.google.com/p/hummingbird-hibl/downloads/list
Bootloader Hello World by Rebellos http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=698077&d=1314105521
UnBrick tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1242466[/adiv][/adiv][/adiv][/adiv][/adiv]