Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Jittery Gentleman
1,760 Posts
Hey all.

Just wanted to post this up for the masses. This is a theme chooser template that can be integrated into any rom that is being compiled from source. It is based off of AOSP and will successfully compile but may require additional editing of redirections, xmls and adding/subtracting images to fully work with some roms.

Source:
https://github.com/mrh3llman/android_vendor_tmobile
https://github.com/m...hemes_common.mk

Instructions:

1. Clone the "android_vendor_tmobile" repository into the vendor directory of your source.
Code:
<br />
git clone [email protected]:mrh3llman/android_vendor_tmobile.git<br />
2. Switch over to the config folder in whatever teams vendor you are using at the moment.
Code:
<br />
cd ~/source/vendor/****/config<br />
3. Create a new text file called "themes_common.mk" and copy+paste the following (you will need to edit for your local directories):
Code:
<br />
# T-Mobile theme engine<br />
PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \<br />
	   ThemeManager \<br />
	   ThemeChooser \<br />
	   com.tmobile.themes \<br />
	   NexusPlus<br />
PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \<br />
	   vendor/****/config/permissions/com.tmobile.software.themes.xml:system/etc/permissions/com.tmobile.software.themes.xml<br />
4. Change to root of source tree:
Code:
<br />
cd ~/android<br />
5. Set up build environment:
Code:
<br />
. build/envsetup.sh<br />
6. Lunch time:
Code:
<br />
lunch<br />
7. Choose device

8. Build NexusPlus:
Code:
<br />
make NexusPlus -jx<br />
9. .......

10. Profit

This is not a perfect system and will require your editing to be perfect for whatever teams work you are building for but is a great building block. Please also note that you can edit the manifest and values xmls to reflect whatever your own themes name is. Enjoy and please let me know if you have any questions!

Huge thanks to JayRThemer for providing the awesome skeleton directory that I integrated into the T-Mobile vendor directory!

·
The Jittery Gentleman
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this is only for ROM's? not to build to make it compatiable to be used on different resolutions and not get the aset eros when switchign to theme?
It can be either actually. With this setup you can integrate it to be built into the rom OR you can build it individually via the 'make NexusPlus' command.

·
The Jittery Gentleman
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call me dense. So this makes the theme.apk file to be flashed...
Yes sir! I couldn't find any "templates" that would play well with AOSP based Roms as opposed to CM/AOKP so I wanted to post this up for that purpose. All the necessary make files are present as well as a proper manifest that only needs to be edited to reflect your individual package name and style.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes sir! I couldn't find any "templates" that would play well with AOSP based Roms as opposed to CM/AOKP so I wanted to post this up for that purpose. All the necessary make files are present as well as a proper manifest that only needs to be edited to reflect your individual package name and style.
I've been searching forever for a way to build a themechooser theme from source, and while it seems that's what this is for, I can't for the life of me get it to work...

Any help?

I've tried decompiling other themes into source, I've tried making one from scratch using other themes as examples for the manifest, and I've tried your stuff here... In the first two examples it just crashes systemUI constantly, and you cannot use the phone until you ADB in and uninstall via command. In the case of your nexusplus theme source, it actually bootlooped the phone and I had to remove the APK manually through the file browser in recovery.

Do I need to do the entire build environment thing? Will I ever be able to just build a theme from source as is?

The reason I ask, is I want to be able to set up a theme project in the new Android Studio, and use the Gradle build thingie to easily make color variants from the same project.

Thanks!

EDIT: And sorry to dig up an old post >.<

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.