Android OS Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 1842 Posts

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,821 ·
Now that is what I call top notch service. This theme is crazy. By far my favorite.

With the gmail is there anything I can do to make it solid black? I'm familiar with compiling and decompiling and such. Is it an easy fix or not?

Once again thanks. Your the man.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using RootzWiki
The easiest way would be to delete the whole Gmail.xml in the xml folder but then you lose all aspects of the themed Gmail. If you wanted to keep the themed buttons and stuff you'd need to go in and delete the list images. The tricky part is that they are actually the same images I use for the Gtalk app. So you'd need to delete the list images for talk in the drawable-xhdpi folder.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The easiest way would be to delete the whole Gmail.xml in the xml folder but then you lose all aspects of the themed Gmail. If you wanted to keep the themed buttons and stuff you'd need to go in and delete the list images. The tricky part is that they are actually the same images I use for the Gtalk app. So you'd need to delete the list images for talk in the drawable-xhdpi folder.
Found the files, but when I delete them my gmail force closes on me; I tried editing them, and that messed it up because they are .9 files.

Any advice?

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,823 ·
Found the files, but when I delete them my gmail force closes on me; I tried editing them, and that messed it up because they are .9 files.

Any advice?

If you decompile the apk, delete the list images completely, then recompile/sign you should be fine. Is that what you're doing when you get Force Closes?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you decompile the apk, delete the list images completely, then recompile/sign you should be fine. Is that what you're doing when you get Force Closes?
That did it. I ran into a ton of problems along the way; but now it looks sick.

It was a real pain in the ass though, especially if I want to do it to all your themes. I have all of your themes installed on my phone and I switch between them. Can you think of any way I can make a flash able zip, or installable apk that will automatically change it, so the gmail looks right when inverted?

Thanks for the help.

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,825 ·
That did it. I ran into a ton of problems along the way; but now it looks sick.

It was a real pain in the ass though, especially if I want to do it to all your themes. I have all of your themes installed on my phone and I switch between them. Can you think of any way I can make a flash able zip, or installable apk that will automatically change it, so the gmail looks right when inverted?

Thanks for the help.

The only way to avoid that problem is to have Gmail be unthemed. Or build a separate version of each theme without having it themed. I want to have it themed and I definitely don't want to support 27 Themes. That's the reason why I make it WORK for inverted Gmail. It may not look as good but least it still works. In a situation like this I feel like I have to build for the majority of my users and I think those using inverted Gmail is a small portion of people.

I feel your pain because I also prefer inverted Gmail and will always work to get back to that. At this point it's no longer possible to do that with the Theme Chooser since Google's last Gmail update. But with every update they push I will dig back though it and see if I can invert it again.

Sorry man, wish there was more I could do or an easy fix but there's really not.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The only way to avoid that problem is to have Gmail be unthemed. Or build a separate version of each theme without having it themed. I want to have it themed and I definitely don't want to support 27 Themes. That's the reason why I make it WORK for inverted Gmail. It may not look as good but least it still works. In a situation like this I feel like I have to build for the majority of my users and I think those using inverted Gmail is a small portion of people.

I feel your pain because I also prefer inverted Gmail and will always work to get back to that. At this point it's no longer possible to do that with the Theme Chooser since Google's last Gmail update. But with every update they push I will dig back though it and see if I can invert it again.

Sorry man, wish there was more I could do or an easy fix but there's really not.
Thanks again. I can just do it the long way. I have a question though for my own curiosity. What is the point of the two gray back ground list images? If they weren't there regular gmail would still be be themed with the buttons, and when new mail arrives, it will highlight whatever color the theme is based on the other list images. Then the inverted gmail and regular gmail would both work.

I'm just not seeing the reasoning behind the two gray background list images that ruin the inverted gmail?

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,827 ·
Thanks again. I can just do it the long way. I have a question though for my own curiosity. What is the point of the two gray back ground list images? If they weren't there regular gmail would still be be themed with the buttons, and when new mail arrives, it will highlight whatever color the theme is based on the other list images. Then the inverted gmail and regular gmail would both work.

I'm just not seeing the reasoning behind the two gray background list images that ruin the inverted gmail?

Not sure I understand what you mean. The Gmail xml only calls for 1 image for read and 1 image unread. I pointed the xml to the Talk Images when Google pushed their last update. I'm actually not using the Gmail list images at all, they're there just in case Google changes things and I'm able to go back to inverted.

The list images aren't actually gray, they're a glossy white image. The only reason they show up gray for you is because they are a little transparent so you can see the black background behind it. When you're not on inverted you can't tell they're transparent at all because it's on a white background.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Enjoy the stay! If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback feel free to PM myself, b16, or birdman.
Regards,
The Management :grin3:
So what if the images weren't there at all? Like I did with the mod for inverted. I can still tell what is unread and what is read. Wouldn't it work the same with regular gmail?

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,829 ·
So what if the images weren't there at all? Like I did with the mod for inverted. I can still tell what is unread and what is read. Wouldn't it work the same with regular gmail?

Yes you would be able to tell because unread would be a flat white color and read would would be a light gray color. It actually uses an xml to determine the color in the stock Gmail. In the theme xml I point that color to an image instead (a separate image for read and unread).

You're right that if I removed those images all the buttons would still be themed. Everything would look the same except for the Read/Unread lists.

I choose to add those list images because I feel like the stock gray/white lists for read/Unread are boring. In my personal opinion the Gmail list images look better than stock (if you're on the stock Gmail app).

If a large portion of Cobalt Theme users had inverted Gmail I might consider it but as it sits I believe that inverted users make up a very minor portion of the total user base.

The fact that Cobalt has over 100K downloads boggles my mind but it does limit some things I can do. Like I said previously I prefer inverted Gmail as well but I build for the masses. Trust me when I say I know there's no pleasing everyone but I try to do my best.

Updates are stressful when I change the look of something because I know when I wake up the following morning my inbox will be full of complaints. With this last update I "refreshed" Plume and I think it looks better but I woke up to a dozen emails letting me know that I'm an idiot for thinking that. At this point I think taking Gmail back to a mostly stock look would not only disappoint myself but I think it would disappoint a large portion of Cobalt users.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes you would be able to tell because unread would be a flat white color and read would would be a light gray color. It actually uses an xml to determine the color in the stock Gmail. In the theme xml I point that color to an image instead (a separate image for read and unread).

You're right that if I removed those images all the buttons would still be themed. Everything would look the same except for the Read/Unread lists.

I choose to add those list images because I feel like the stock gray/white lists for read/Unread are boring. In my personal opinion the Gmail list images look better than stock (if you're on the stock Gmail app).

If a large portion of Cobalt Theme users had inverted Gmail I might consider it but as it sits I believe that inverted users make up a very minor portion of the total user base.

The fact that Cobalt has over 100K downloads boggles my mind but it does limit some things I can do. Like I said previously I prefer inverted Gmail as well but I build for the masses. Trust me when I say I know there's no pleasing everyone but I try to do my best.

Updates are stressful when I change the look of something because I know when I wake up the following morning my inbox will be full of complaints. With this last update I "refreshed" Plume and I think it looks better but I woke up to a dozen emails letting me know that I'm an idiot for thinking that. At this point I think taking Gmail back to a mostly stock look would not only disappoint myself but I think it would disappoint a large portion of Cobalt users.
Thanks man. I love the theme. If you get another update beta of the hulk theme send it this way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I love the new themes the Cyan Orange theme has to be the best theme I have ever seen, keep up the amazing work!

Oh on your new themes/updares, the recent app button for AOKP isnt themed, thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,833 ·
I love the new themes the Cyan Orange theme has to be the best theme I have ever seen, keep up the amazing work!

Oh on your new themes/updares, the recent app button for AOKP isnt themed, thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

Do you have a screenshot? How new are you taking because I'm running a version built 2 days ago and it's themed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have a screenshot? How new are you taking because I'm running a version built 2 days ago and it's themed.
Its not the recents button but previous app button that you need to add to the navbar yourself as an additional button. It switches you back and forth between your last two apps. The icon is a square made of two arrows, look at the 4th button below.

Font Screenshot Technology Software Space

Attachments

·
Android Fanboy
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,835 ·
Its not the recents button but previous app button that you need to add to the navbar yourself as an additional button. It switches you back and forth between your last two apps. The icon is a square made of two arrows, look at the 4th button below.

View attachment 37041

Okay I see, I'll get it added for the next release. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm looking into this but I don't know where it's coming from ... all that was added to SystemUI was a couple of images. Have you recently updated your ROM?
Updated about a week ago, but this only started happening on your most recent update; with inverted play store and stuff.

1821 - 1840 of 1842 Posts