Android OS Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Android Fanatic
1,821 Posts
I don't know if anyone loves my Cobalt theme but I'll always do my best to keep it up to date with the latest CNA. Haven't missed a CNA Version yet and I don't plan to.

http://rootzwiki.com.../-(RootzBoat-8)
I think you're theme is noce but we're just talking that there are only 2 themes out for that rom. Were as AOKP has like 12 and Gummy has 3-4 and things like that. I can change a few images here and there but to make a full theme, I haven't attempted yet.

·
Themer
1,078 Posts
I make themes for the rom I am running, because there is a lot of testing involved. Plus, there are certain elements of a theme that require you to build an apk from source. In order to make it for multiple roms, you would need to build apks for each rom from their source. With new versions being release almost daily, that's a lot of work to update a theme.

Your seeing so many themes for AOKP because it is an awesome rom, and team kang put in a lot of hard work to make it that way. They don't use other peoples stuff, and built it from scratch. Don't get me wrong, I don't think its wrong to use someone elses stuff, if you have permission, but knowing you built it yourself gains more respect from me.

·
Android Developer
451 Posts
everyone uses other people stuff, they use tons of code already implemented other places and change it slightly. i've reviewed alot of there code just for shits and giggles. its GPL open source, 99% of code used has been already coded somewhere else, changing a few lines is not inventing it from scratch.

key word... team KANG. The reason IMO CNA doesnt have as many themes as it gets its framework updated frequently which is a pain for themers, and there are not alot of requests to themers to port. they dont need to run the rom, just need to modfiy some apps and framework. and package it up.

Lets not have this thread turn into (you stole my work and i stole yours) its GPL. myself and many devs left XDA becuase of this kinda behavior. eeryone has there opinion and choice what they want to run, most roms have the same features as others becuase there just good features... period. 80% of the features people have including AOKP have originated from a Dev that coded it for CyanogenMOD. you can look at the mods and look bakc at CM froyo branches for those mods.

bottom line, if you want a theme for a rom, ask a themer, being a recognized themer i would assume that they are commited to sharing there theme to the community accross the board and wouldnt mind porting it to other roms. If thats not the case, i would then reccomend that themer designate that he/she only creates thems for said ROM, to loose confusion.

BTW a new theme chooser is being engineered for ICS, so this will all become null when that happens

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.