Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
su
2,292 Posts
Is there any way to 'tell' or find out if you're being throttled? Shortly after I read about the announcement I noticed that my 3G seemed to have slowed.

For instance, while using the Browser, the request will be sent, the loading bar will process until about 80% and then stick for 10-15 seconds, after which it will FINALLY bring up the page.

To add, Tapatalk has also been super slow, especially while loading images. I thought that possibly the recent update/s may have something to do with that, but I haven't looked into it too much.

Just ran some speed tests which were all close to the 1.2mb mark. (Normal for me with the 5 bars in my room.) Also checked my data usage, nearing about 2gb for this month already. Any of you think this could put me into that 5% VZW mentioned? Or am I just being paranoid/impatient?

OT: Was drocap removed from the market?

·
su
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just took a look at VZWs website, they've added more info. According to the FAQ generally the top 5% is 2gb+. I'm at about 1.9gb atm, so I believe I may be throttled.. already.

L2Google first, thread later. Ha.

·
Android Lover
1,260 Posts
If you signed up before February and have not yet renewed, you should not be throttled. That's when they changed the customer agreement.

·
su
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snow02 said:
And again, until you renew, if you signed up before they changed the agreement (unless they snuck in an opt-out somewhere I haven't seen), you should not be included.

But I could be wrong.
Hmm. Yeah I looked for something of that sort but couldn't find anything. My speed tests are the same as they've always been, but browsing definitely feels slower..

·
Android Lover
439 Posts
Try opera Mobile or boat browser, seriously. Boat is superfast, and opera has the best fit to screen text zooming out there, if you do a lot of reading online

·
433 Posts
blaineevans said:
Just took a look at VZWs website, they've added more info. According to the FAQ generally the top 5% is 2gb+. I'm at about 1.9gb atm, so I believe I may be throttled.. already.

L2Google first, thread later. Ha.
Id most definitely say you are not in the top 5% at 1.9GB usage.

·
su
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jordan8 said:
Id most definitely say you are not in the top 5% at 1.9GB usage.
That's what I first thought too until I read that info VZW posted. Guess I could always just call and ask, lawl.

·
Android Apprentice
66 Posts
jonwgee said:
Try opera Mobile or boat browser, seriously. Boat is superfast, and opera has the best fit to screen text zooming out there, if you do a lot of reading online
Thanks for the Boat Browser suggestion. Now using it on my Acer A100 pad works great.

·
Supporting Member
38 Posts
What do you think the top 5% starts at? I have 2 DX on my plan, using 4+gb a month each. Was thinking to upgrade everyone to a 4g phone if throttle is in affect.

·
su
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bmcgov said:
What do you think the top 5% starts at? I have 2 DX on my plan, using 4+gb a month each. Was thinking to upgrade everyone to a 4g phone if throttle is in affect.
According to VZW if you are above 2GB you are most likely within that 5%. That just seems really low to me though.

·
433 Posts
blaineevans said:
That's what I first thought too until I read that info VZW posted. Guess I could always just call and ask, lawl.
Ah, suppose I should of read the page first. I'm not to sure either now, I assumed the top 5% would be at least like 10GB...

This seems like a terrible idea(for us anyways), if the people who are in the top 5% get throttled for the remaining billing cycle + the next, they aren't going to use much data in that time. So over time, the top 5% is going to get lower & lower. Suppose this is how VZW plans to get us off of unlimited data :/

·
su
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jordan8 said:
Ah, suppose I should of read the page first. I'm not to sure either now, I assumed the top 5% would be at least like 10GB...

This seems like a terrible idea(for us anyways), if the people who are in the top 5% get throttled for the remaining billing cycle + the next, they aren't going to use much data in that time. So over time, the top 5% is going to get lower & lower. Suppose this is how VZW plans to get us off of unlimited data :/
Valid, although..

I'm above 2GB now. And I can bet I will be close to the same spot next month (throttled or not). Which in the long term could mean I'll be throttled indefinitely.

That's what I'm worried about. Really wanted to wait for the Prime before going 4G.. but right now a non-throttled Bionic sounds nice.. lol.

·
I solve problems
1,213 Posts
I go nowhere near the 2gb ususally, but since the announcement all I have had is a 1x connection. Doesn't matter what rom, what tweaks, or anything. The verizon store near me said that everyone has been having problems in our area since they announced it :/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts