Android OS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
trsohmers said:
We would get sued by Oracle for not having a DalvikVM license in about 3 seconds after we release it for a couple million dollars... so I doubt we would be able to release anything like that. As for the 64GB touchpad, I havent heard anyone getting it, but if it is for sale I would consider buying it (collectors item?)
I don't think you'd get sued if you used Alien Dalvik from Myriad. it's being used alot on all sorts of devices to run android apps on non android devices like the Nokia N900... you should look into it. If you guys aren't interested in trying it then I'll strike up a new development thread to work on its port to WebOS because there seem to be alot of people that would like to keep the functionality of WebOS just with the app selection of Android

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Just an update to my previous post, Qt was ported to WebOS in Preware. Qt is the development platform used to make Alien Dalvik so in theory finding a way to port over Alien Dalvik to WebOS or simply writing your own version should be entirely possible.

·
I just shoot lasers here
183 Posts
Valnomien said:
what I would like to see is if there is a way to just have access to the android market like the Blackberry Playbook is doing it? This way the other flavor would be to keep WebOS and just have some sort of Android Player like the Playbook.
With the android OS comes all of that, just be patient

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Brandroid said:
whats the webOS sdk package repository for Ubuntu 11.04?
Use the Lucid packages on https://developer.palm.com/content/resources/develop/sdk_pdk_download.html

They work fine on my Natty distro at home. :)

--

In an unrelated matter, could we start by taking a fairly similar device with a wide android community (e.g., the barnes and noble nook), which would have a well-documented and revised kernel (e.g. cyanogenmod), and be able to tweak and edit it to fit the touchpad? It would definitely give us a leg up if this were to work...

(However, I don't have huge experiences in hardware programming, I might be barking up the wrong tree?)

·
Android Genius
56 Posts
Hey guys need a hand. I installed the 3.0.2 sdk in Ubuntu. I'm assuming it's supposed to output an img somewhere to open in VirtualBox. After installing the SDK where is the img to open in VBox? Thanks

·
Android Apprentice
21 Posts
alittlelove said:
Will updating the OS on my TP affect my ability to enjoy android or other OS at a later time.
Didn't know who else to ask.
Thanks
No. Dev mode access is the same regardless of version. Update to 3.0.2 (if you can - easiest way with all the newbies is to use the webOS doctor).

·
Android Beginner
21 Posts
praveen133t said:
Hi This is my first post.. I have been an iphone dev and hacker.. Just a question... do we have any firmware package for Webos that we can install on the device if something goes wrong? (Like .ipsw file for iphone) Also, Are there any bootloader signature checks done on this device? I haven't looked at this device much.. just received it yesterday,
From what I understand, it is a lot like the iOS products in that if something goes wrong, you can just resync with WebOS doctor and fix things. This article talks a bit about it:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

Hope that helps.

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
I bought an HP touchpad on Sunday morning from a best buy in oklahoma city. To my surprise, when I turned it on yesterday it was running Android 2.2.1. I think this was a testing device from the qualcomm factory because when I turn it on after the hp logo, there is a logo that shows up that states qualcomm innovation center. It is running android currently without a market. It has some production applications on it, but I am not able to run them. I don't know what kind of help I can be but if anyone needs any information from my device I will be able to help. I am not as technically savy as most people on this website, because I am not a developer, just a tech enthusiast. Please let me know if I can be of anyhelp.

Here are some pictures showing information from the touchpad:
View attachment 1314

Attachments

·
1337 h4x0r / Developer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
jiwanish said:
I bought an HP touchpad on Sunday morning from a best buy in oklahoma city. To my surprise, when I turned it on yesterday it was running Android 2.2.1. I think this was a testing device from the qualcomm factory because when I turn it on after the hp logo, there is a logo that shows up that states qualcomm innovation center. It is running android currently without a market. It has some production applications on it, but I am not able to run them. I don't know what kind of help I can be but if anyone needs any information from my device I will be able to help. I am not as technically savy as most people on this website, because I am not a developer, just a tech enthusiast. Please let me know if I can be of anyhelp.

Here are some pictures showing information from the touchpad:
View attachment 2016 View attachment 2015
Please email me... [email protected] or talk to me on freenode IRC... trsohmers

Thanks

·
THAT guy...
146 Posts
huntken said:
Alright guys...we're all excited that everyone got this tablet for dirt cheap. But the op has CLEARLY stated that this is a development thread. If you can lend to development in more ways than "Hey, I can test!" or "I got mine cheap!" then by all means post. Till then, I'll be keeping this thread clean. Please feel free to discuss where you bought yours or that'd you would like to test in another thread. Not trying to be a mean guy, but we need to respect these developers and let them do what they do best. Good luck fellas.
NEW PEOPLE, READ THIS ^^^^ Rules apply to you as well :) Thanks again!

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Yeah, mod is deleting a lot of replies. Deleted mine of me offering my services (I am currently an Android Kernel Engineer at Texas Instruments)

I didn't really mind too much though since I don't have the HW yet and if I am going to contribute I will be into contact directly with the dev team.

Anyway, just saying yours wasn't the only one.

·
1337 h4x0r / Developer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Updating webOS will NOT cause any issues with installing Android... HP and Palm have been very open to development and hackers with all of their products.

·
Android Apprentice
145 Posts
To the people who are criticizing the development team, just remember a few things:

1. They are volunteers and not getting paid for their efforts

2. They are not obligated to help you or anyone get Android on their Touchpad. They WANT to help.

3. Criticizing them is not going to motivate them.

4. If you are not a developer and have no clue how to do it, then quit playing armchair quarterback and be thankful that these guys are doing this at all.

5. If you don't like how long it is taking this volunteer team, learn how to be a developer and push this out yourself.

It's crazy to me that people are getting mad at people who have no obligation to anyone and only want to help the community. I'm not a dev and I'm just gonna sit back and thank them when they finally put this out.

·
THAT guy...
146 Posts
Thread locked until some development is achieved. To the #touchdroid crew: please contact me via pm when you're ready or over twitter (sorry for locking this but it's kinda out of control :money: ). To everyone else: feel free to offer up assistance in any way with another thread, thanks!

21 - 40 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.