Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -- Like many others, I have a bricked touchpad that shows up as Qualcomm QDLoader device. I've tried everything and read hundreds of threads, no love at all.

Today I stumbled upon some qualcomm software -- QPST. It's made for reading/writing to phones.

QPST sees my touchpad in download mode and it looks like it would let me flash the device's boot and system image memory areas......if I had the dumps.

Is there any way someone with a working touchpad would consider booting your TP into QDLoader mode (power + volume down) and doing the dumps with the "Software Download" module from QPST? There is a "backup" tab that creates a QCN file that it looks like I can restore to my touchpad and bring it back to life.

Anyone tried this already? If not -- would someone be onboard to help?

I downloaded the most recent build of QPST i could find from this thread on PPCGeeks and it recognizes my touchpad:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/windows-mobile-software/46873-updated-06-14-2011-qpst-qxdm.html

This is a direct link to the QPST version i'm using:
http://conflipper.com/Software/QPST_2.7_366.rar

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Man, I have not idea what you are talking about, and from the lack of replies, no one else does either. You need to Google WebOS Doctor, download the file, get version 3.0.5, and read up on how to use it. That's how you fix a bricked TouchPad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know all about WebOS Doctor and I've tried it dozens of times on multiple machines. My touchpad (and many other peope's as well) is stuck in "download mode". My google-fu is strong....VERY strong...and so are my troubleshooting and analysis skills. I've literally read hundreds of threads and chased down every option I've found during the past two weeks since my touchpad decided to off itself. I've even replaced the battery and accurately charged the original battery to refrence voltage levels outside of the touchpad using variable power supply....with no change to touchpad behavior

All someone needs to do is take a functional touchpad.......boot it by pressing power+volume down (DOWNLOAD MODE) -- install the QDLoader drivers that are availabe here on the RW forums...........install the QPST program that I posted.......use QPST to pull a qualcomm-formatted backup of the device....and post it up or send it to me. If restoring the qualcomm backup works, TONS of people with "stuck in download mode" touchpads will be able to recover their devices.

If you are going to do the backup to help me out --- I'd suggest doing a full backup of your touchpad and current config ---- WIPING DATA AND CACHE....then doing the qualcomm QPST backup....this way your personal information doesn't come with the QPST-formatted image you send me. After you're done with QPST --- you can restore the original backup that you created and get alll settings/data back with no fuss.

So -- no disrespect meant -- if you have any NEW ideas on how to fix a bricked touchpad other than webos doctor and/or pressing this or that button to make it reset......i'm all ears. If you're still with me -- how about firing up QPST and getting me a backup :)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
So -- no disrespect meant -- if you have any NEW ideas on how to fix a bricked touchpad other than webos doctor and/or pressing this or that button to make it reset......i'm all ears. If you're still with me -- how about firing up QPST and getting me a backup :)
Sorry, not a chance pal. And good luck trying to find someone willing to risk bricking their TouchPad to try what you suggest.

·
Android Beginner
27 Posts
so your saying people can backup the touchpad with this and re install the backup this makes ?

you saying this make a complete backup of the volume ?

or the internal drive

this make image of it right ?

just wondering

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so your saying people can backup the touchpad with this and re install the backup this makes ?
you saying this make a complete backup of the volume ?
or the internal drive
this make image of it right ?
just wondering
I'm not positive, but I'm figuring that the QPST utility will backup the entire flash in a qualcomm-proprietary format.

to reiterate, here's what I would do if I had access to a functional touchpad

1) backup with rom-manager/clockworkmod or whatever
2) wipe data/cache
3) boot touchpad in Loader mode (pwr+volume down)
4) connect touchpad to computer, run SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD module of QPST -- click backup tab -- do the backup
5) back into clockworkmod -- restore the backup from step 1.

Anything you send or post would be a qualcomm-formatted dump with zero personal information or data.

thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
to reiterate, here's what I would do if I had access to a functional touchpad

1) backup with rom-manager/clockworkmod or whatever
2) wipe data/cache
3) boot touchpad in Loader mode (pwr+volume down)
4) connect touchpad to computer, run SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD module of QPST -- click backup tab -- do the backup
5) back into clockworkmod -- restore the backup from step 1.

Anything you send or post would be a qualcomm-formatted dump with zero personal information or data.

thanks for reading.
I tried to create the backup following your instructions, however when I click on start under the Backup tab I get a message saying
"Port does not contain a Phone in Diagnostic Mode" at the top of the QPST screen it indicates the port is in Download Mode.

I've used QPST in the past but I'm not overly familiar with it. If you have any ideas on how to put the TP in Diagnostic Mode I would be willing to try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@TunG19 -- thanks much for your efforts!

Not sure if this is going to work. I Got my hands on another touchpad and booted it into loader mode to try this --- when i went to do the download, QPST said the device was in "download" mode rather than "diagnostics" mode and wouldn't pull the image, same as your experience

My touchpad might be dead and out for the count. Frustrating.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
@TunG19 -- thanks much for your efforts!

Not sure if this is going to work. I Got my hands on another touchpad and booted it into loader mode to try this --- when i went to do the download, QPST said the device was in "download" mode rather than "diagnostics" mode and wouldn't pull the image, same as your experience

My touchpad might be dead and out for the count. Frustrating.
Have you thought of contacting HP Tech support?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, that was one of the first things I did. Since my touchpad is a refurb, it only had 60 days warranty. For the low price of $239 they will examine it and repair it if possible. Bleh! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Mattv, did you find any solution to your bricked HPtouch pad. I am also facing the Same issue.
I am able to install the QPST tools and able to see the device in "Download"mode, I am unable to reset this.
Please let me know if you have solution for this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

I've got a Pre3 stuck in QDL (Qualcomm Download Mode) probably due to a BootLoader corruption.
The CPU of the Pre3 is the same in the TouchPad (in fact not really but both use the same CPU TYPE) MSM7x30 so we are in the same boat !

After a lot research i found that it can be one of the BootLoader parts that can be the cause of the loop in QDL.
I found the files needed in the webosdoctor jar for my phone : partition.mbn, dbl.mbn, amss.mbn and osbl.mbn.
In QPST you need a BootLoader for the MSM7x30 (this one to be able to flash the files) the Pre3/TouchPad are an eMMC device so it must be called EMPRG7x30.HEX
(E for Emergency when device is in QDL, M for MMC, PRG is common and our CPU TYPE is 7x30)
I found that file (MPRG7x30.HEX is the same file as EMPRG7x30.HEX) on the web in a firmware package for another phone ... but ... in QPST i probably doing something wrong it give me an error :

QPST 2.7-366 Software Download
1. In Software Download tab if choose my EMPRG7x30.HEX
2. In Multi-image tab i choose the folder with my *.mbn files, i select Sec Boot 2.0 as Boot System, i check Use Emerg. Host D/L
3. I press start ... and QPST answer Could not open flash programming file

·
Registered
138 Posts
Perhaps jcsullins' tool for unbricking touchpads would help. He wrote it with the help of hp engineers while developing moboot. It repartions you sdcard into a more useable format. The link is: http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/tools/uImage.tptoolbox_0.0.1
I've never used this tool and I think I have only read about it on irc. As I recall, you flash it in with novacom, just like acmeinstaller3:
novacom boot mem:// < uImage.tptoolbox_0.0.1
I really don't know more about it than this. It is supposed to be a last ditch effort to bring touchpad partitions back to life. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Perhaps jcsullins' tool for unbricking touchpads would help. He wrote it with the help of hp engineers while developing moboot. It repartions you sdcard into a more useable format. The link is: http://goo.im/devs/j...tptoolbox_0.0.1
I've never used this tool and I think I have only read about it on irc. As I recall, you flash it in with novacom, just like acmeinstaller3:
novacom boot mem:// < uImage.tptoolbox_0.0.1
I really don't know more about it than this. It is supposed to be a last ditch effort to bring touchpad partitions back to life. Hope this helps.
My device isn't read by novacom when it's in qdloader mode I think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you asked on the HowardForums board about how to put a PalmPre cellphone into Dev Mode? As someone else mentioned, the Pre and the Touchpad are pretty similar in this regard. The folks over at HowardForums are THE cellphone gurus.

www.howardforums.com

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Have you asked on the HowardForums board about how to put a PalmPre cellphone into Dev Mode? As someone else mentioned, the Pre and the Touchpad are pretty similar in this regard. The folks over at HowardForums are THE cellphone gurus.

www.howardforums.com
To enter the Developer Mode on the tablet which is the equivalent of rooting the device, this is much simpler on WebOS than other platforms as proven by the method below.

In the Just Type search box at the top of any launcher screen, type in the following phrase:
  1. webos20090606
  2. Hit the Developer Mode icon that appears. DO NOT enter the requested developer mode password.
  3. That's it, you're ready to install anything on your TouchPad.
Or watch this video:

1 - 20 of 228 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.