Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Touchpad Tool-kit - Android automated installer.

This is a complete tool-kit to get android on the HP Touchpad.

The pack is designed for easy installation of Cyanogenmod 9 (ICS 4.0.4) or Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.1.2).

What does the pack do?
  • Step by step guided installation wizard, fully configures the users PC.
  • Installs Novacom (32bit or 64bit)
  • Copies the following files to the "Palm, Inc" folder, ACMEInstaller3, ACMEUninstaller, uImage.ClockworkMod
  • Runs the ACMEInstaller3 install command to install android
  • Works with CM9 or CM10 (most likely CM7 too, although this is untested)
  • Runs on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8
  • Advanced section for experienced users to only access what they need
  • Runs the ACMEUninstaller to remove android (advanced section)
  • Does NOT require java to be installed on your PC
Download:
http://d-h.st/bNH

How do I use it? (Full guide to follow shortly)
  • Download and extract the "touchpad-xcd.zip" zip file, using the password "xcdtouch" (without quotes).
  • Connect your touchpad to your PC the same as normal to transfer files.
  • Copy the included cminstall folder to the main directory of your touchpad.
  • Decide if you want CM9 or 10, get one or the other NOT both.
  • If you want CM9 then download the newest files from the following links
  • If you want CM10 then download the newest files from the following links
  • Copy the android and google apps you just downloaded into the cminstall folder on the touchpad
  • Rename the two files so the file names start with "update-" (no quotes), so your cminstall folder looks similar to the following screenshot.
  • Run the "run-me.bat" file (Windows Vista, 7 & 8, right click and run as Admin)
  • Select standard user and follow the step by step guide in the batch file

Notes
  • *IMPORTANT* If you run CM10 then as soon as possible go into settings > Storage > three dots in top right > USB Computer connection, and tick "Media Device (MTP)"
  • Will not work if run from a directory containing spaces in the name, Windows 7 "C:\Users\[username]\Downloads\" will work, Windows XP "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\" will fail. Windows XP users I advice you extract the "touchpad-xcd.zip" folder to your C:\ drive and not my documents.
  • Files will fail to copy if not run as administrator on Windows Vista/7/8
  • Tested extensively on Windows XP & 7 by users of various abilities with 100% success.
Changelog
  • Version 1 - 22/12/2012 - Initial pack released for limited testing
  • Version 2 - 20/2/2013 - Updated pack, moboot 037 replaced by 038, batch file tweaked based on user suggestions, rolled out to wider audience.
  • Version 3.1 - 21/02/2013 - Batch file updated to improve use and readability, password removed. 'uImage.ClockworkMod' is now only copied when doing an advanced memboot install, and not by default.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you want CM10 then download the newest files from the following links
  • Copy the android and google apps you just downloaded into the cminstall folder on the touchpad
  • Rename the two files so the file names start with "update-" (no quotes), so your cminstall folder looks similar to the following screenshot.
Can CWM be replaced with TWRP?

Reactions: gizmo bond

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow thanks. This is great, and a smart way for keeping the android install clean and orginized which i am sure will be of huge help to anyone installing for the first time.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Can CWM be replaced with TWRP?
TeamWin recommends and the accepted practice is to install GooManager from the Play Store and use it to install TWRP. Using xcd's script to install TWRP would require a TWRP.zip file which is no longer provided by TeamWin. Your only other option to install TWRP is to download the .img file on their website, change the name of it to uImage.twrp and copy it to the /boot folder.

If you initially install cwm with xcd's script or the traditional way which most everyone is used to doing, when TWRP is installed by Goomanager, cwm is removed.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Some great work you have done here. Gradular has been working on something similar, glad to see it fully working. I will test this with Win8 and let you know if it works fine. Would you mind if I add this to my Easy way install guide? I have been planning to make a new CyanogenMod easy way install guide video, It would be nice to add this to the guide and video. However I do wonder if its necessary to password protect the zip files, that makes it seem a little suspicious.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Tested and working with windows 8. I completed a full install of the Novacom software and files then uninstalled/reinstalled CM10. Users will note that the batch file must be run with administrator permissions. Its a great easy interface to use, thanks for making it. I wish I heard about this sooner, can you link me to your OP for these files. I can't believe we haven't heard of this, its a really good idea.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Couple of questions..
- why is uimage.clockworkmod going in the palm,inc folder?

- Since there is debate on Moboot 3.5 vs 3.8 (not by me), is there a way for this to work with the 'cminstall' packs from RolandDeschain's Cm10 How-to thread vs having moboot & cwm6 included (they have to get files anyway for it to work, right)?

- I'm curious about the pw/encrypted zip file too, I couldn't open it with EsFileExplorer ("the encryption algorythm is not supported") to view on my TP/Evo3d, had to use stock Archive viewer (not default app).

Sent from my "Up all night, Sleep all day" EVO3D!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Uploaded v3.1, mostly the same, just tweaked the batch file to clear the screen after each operation, this makes it much easier to follow for new users as instead of a long scrollable window of commands it just shows the current one, also removed the password based on user request. Next update (apart from small changes if suggested), will include a pdf guide. 'uImage.ClockworkMod' is now only copied when doing an advanced memboot install and not by default.

V3 uploaded, Chrome reports as suspicious, presume this is just because it contains a batch file, nothings changed from the other packs, happy for people to confirm it's clean.

Right, to address a few questions.

@Everybody, re-uploading without the password, just a habit I have to include one, just helps to deter plagerism as if the link is posted elsewhere they have to find the original source to get the password, you guys don't like it so will remove it now.
The script can also be used for novices to easily update any part of their install.

@garux I don't use TWRP sorry, essentially this is just ACMEInstaller with a pretty wrapper and the same limiations, so I'd follow 'nevertells' instructions for TWRP

@RolandDeschain79, I'm happy for you to use it in a video and guide. Would of course like credit to be given and a link to this thread included somewhere please.
I will PM you the link to my original post from december (to avoid a traffic surge to them), password removed. Run as admin is needed to be able to copy the files into the program files, rest should work without admin (easier to tell novice users to always run as admin)

@Mpgrimm2,
1) uimage.clockworkmod is put in that folder as it is used for an advanced install that I came up with that bypasses the need to setup webos just to copy the cminstall folder to the touchpad, guide for that will follow in a week (if you're an advanced user and want to play before hand), select advanced install in my bat file and option 5 (Memboot to Clockworkmod Recovery (advanced install without WebOS)). What this does it boots cwm in the touchpads ram without installing it, whilst you're still running WebOS, this lets you mount the touchpad from cwm and copy the cminstall folder. For people who like me who have no intention of using WebOS so don't want to bother setting it all up. 'uImage.ClockworkMod' is now only copied when doing an advanced memboot install, and not by default.
2) Moboot 038 can be replaced if the user chooses. I included it because it and cwm aren't updated often so it halves the number of files needed to be downloaded, simplying it for new users, and meaning they have the latest files.
3)Password now removed, see the update at the top.

·
Registered
460 Posts
@Mpgrimm2,
1) uimage.clockworkmod is put in that folder as it is used for an advanced install that I came up with that bypasses the need to setup webos just to copy the cminstall folder to the touchpad, guide for that will follow in a week (if you're an advanced user and one to play before hand), select advanced install in my bat file and option 5 (Memboot to Clockworkmod Recovery (advanced install without WebOS)). What this does it boots cwm in the touchpads ram without installing it, whilst you're still running WebOS, this lets you mount the touchpad from cwm and copy the cminstall folder. For people who like me who have no intention of using WebOS so don't want to bother setting it all up.
I'm personally not familiar with "memboot", its functions or commands (webos related?), but it sounds like what I'm used to with adb & fastboot commands on my HTC Evo3D to temp boot recovery from memory ( fastboot boot clockworkmod.img ).

Sent from my "Up all night, sleep all day" HP CM9 Touchpad

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm personally not familiar with "memboot", its functions or commands (webos related?), but it sounds like what I'm used to with adb & fastboot commands on my HTC Evo3D to temp boot recovery from memory ( fastboot boot clockworkmod.img ).

Sent from my "Up all night, sleep all day" HP CM9 Touchpad
I think it is webos related, it's just something I came up with when messing around. I found a webos recovery guide which involved membooting 'nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage' as part of the process, I was curious if you could memboot cwm instead so you could access files if webos/android were unbootable and it worked.
I then went from there and figured on a WebOS only touchpad you can use this method to copy the cminstall folder and bypass the need to run the webos setup wizard (and make an account), just to be able to copy one file.

There's some more info here (I've simplified things by including needed files, so java/sdk etc aren't needed):
http://www.webos-int...rg/wiki/Memboot

Edited the batch file so 'uImage.ClockworkMod' is now only copied when doing an advanced memboot install, and not by default.

·
Registered
164 Posts
@garux I don't use TWRP sorry, essentially this is just ACMEInstaller with a pretty wrapper and the same limiations, so I'd follow 'nevertells' instructions for TWRP
Thank you and also Nevertells.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently at 300+ downloads would appreciate some more feedback on whether anything needs tweaking. I'm taking the silence to mean that everything works great as it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! I'm a complete noob, so I'll make a few additional questions before trying it, if you don't mind.

1) If I install CM10 using this script on my TP, how is my partition table gonna look like?
2) How much free space will I have with both webOs and Android installed?
3) Will I be able to access data in the webOs partition from the Android system and viceversa?

As you can see, I'm concerned about the distribution of disk space, since my TP is only 16gb in size.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! I'm a complete noob, so I'll make a few additional questions before trying it, if you don't mind.

1) If I install CM10 using this script on my TP, how is my partition table gonna look like?
2) How much free space will I have with both webOs and Android installed?
3) Will I be able to access data in the webOs partition from the Android system and viceversa?

As you can see, I'm concerned about the distribution of disk space, since my TP is only 16gb in size.

Thanks!
My Touchpad is 16GB.

All guides use the exact same partition layout as it is set by ACMEInstaller3 which the all use.

Your data partition will be about 10-11GB and is accessible from android and webos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks! So I'm guessing I'll have 3 partitions: 1 for webOS, 1 for Android and 1 for data?
Since you're being so patient, let me ask you something else. To update CM10 to a later version, all I have to do is start CWM and load the .zip, right? Should I wipe data/factory reset? I'm also guessing a Nandroid backup is recommended...

I'm reading that a new update for CM10 by jcsullins could be out soon. Maybe I'll wait until then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks! So I'm guessing I'll have 3 partitions: 1 for webOS, 1 for Android and 1 for data?
Since you're being so patient, let me ask you something else. To update CM10 to a later version, all I have to do is start CWM and load the .zip, right? Should I wipe data/factory reset? I'm also guessing a Nandroid backup is recommended...

I'm reading that a new update for CM10 by jcsullins could be out soon. Maybe I'll wait until then.
Do you have a link to where you read about a CM10 update please.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yes just flash with CWM or copy the update into the cminstall folder and run my script again. Don't need to factory reset, some recommend a cache wipe, I normally reflash gapps along with the updated rom as well.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Do you have a link to where you read about a CM10 update please.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
Let's not get the cart before the horse on when J.C. Sullins will release another version of CM10 if ever. If you haven't figured it out by now, J.C. works at his own pace. That means that we may not hear anything from him for months or he may pop up everyday with something new. Right now seems to be the former. Last time he added anything to the gerrit was Feb. 9th. when he added six different changes. Like I have stated previously, CM10 works amazingly well for something classified as nothing more than "experimental". Let's all be happy with what we have and see what happens in the future or not.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.