Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
I believe you are applying a warning to everyone that really only applies to a small percentage of the total TouchPads out there. I have been turning off, shutting down and unplugging my two TouchPads for a year and a half and have never experienced a bricking. I know over a dozen folks personally who own one or more TouchPads and know of only one who ended up with a bricked tablet. From the posts I have read since this issue came to light, the majority seem to have been caused by folks letting their tablet drain down to zero one time too many. I would also suspect that your particular issue, the cookie error, puts you into an even smaller grouping of TouchPad owners.
Was you device actually bricked before? This applies to people who experianced problems to power on.
I actually appealed to people in the first post to test this theory but there were no takers :) and I don't blame them.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
I wouldn't dare to shut it down as well, since many times it ends in "dead" device for some time before it decides to work again.
Restart is always working but shutdown is lottery.

Was you device actually bricked before? This applies to people who experianced problems to power on.
I actually appealed to people in the first post to test this theory but there were no takers :) and I don't blame them.
I did dare myself today to try to turn it off and I succeeded to "brick" on the first try

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
That sounds like a hardware issue with the battery or voltage regulator, since it keeps on coming up and then starts working.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki
I do have replacement battery but I doubt that this is the problem, since battery monitoring utility shows ( after it will boot again ) that the battery is discharged at the same speed as if it was powered on the whole time when playing dead.
I did try the debrick procedure with this result that it got stuck on Requesting Softwareversion for 10 min.

UPDATE:
and just now 30 minutes later it booted like nothing happened :) - it still sucks tho ...

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
A friend of mine had his stop charging and it refused to come back to life no matter what was tried. Unfortunately, this happened before J.C. Sullins started the debricking thread. And what you are saying reinforces exactly what I said to "bikehike", the folks that are having this problem are a small community of Touchpad users who have the unfortunate lot in life that their tablet behaves badly. This does not apply to the majority of TouchPad owners.
10 reboots no problem, 2nd power off and it wouldn't boot again, took me about 45min to replace the battery, wouldn't boot so it's on charger now.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
10 reboots no problem, 2nd power off and it wouldn't boot again, took me about 45min to replace the battery, wouldn't boot so it's on charger now.
And once again it booted fine this morning, not in the mood to shut it down to test if it cured the problem

Is there explanation what causes if debrick stops at this point ?

Setting up android-tools-fastboot (4.1.1+git20120801-1ubuntu2+2~webupd8~precise3) ...
checking doc files ...
extracting doc files ...
Requesting SoftwareVersion...

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
I had some free time so after the new battery finished charging, I have installed CM10 ( working great with the 4.2 modified gaaps)
however still can't turn TP off as it will not boot again... so battery is not the problem neither.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
And once again it booted fine this morning, not in the mood to shut it down to test if it cured the problem

Setting up android-tools-fastboot (4.1.1+git20120801-1ubuntu2+2~webupd8~precise3) ...
checking doc files ...
extracting doc files ...
Bump

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts

checking doc files ...
extracting doc files ...
Anyone?

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts

checking doc files ...
extracting doc files ...
Bump, anyone?

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
My touchpad is acting very flaky and hopefully as long as its not a hardware issue, hopefully its a good candidate to try uthe unbrick method. The first issue is with turning it on. My tp acts like its dead everytime i try turning it on by pressing power nothing happens. same thing with power+home or charging for an indefinite amount of time with 4 different known good hp rapid chargers and cables and it the menu button never lights up to indicate that its charging. To power it on, with the battery at any charge level, i have to keep plugging it into the charger and back to the pc every couple seconds and holding the power button then switch to power+home. eventually after several minutes,it will power on. If i shut it down and leave it off for about 5 minutes, i have to repeat the process to "revive" it. Once i finally get it to turn on, It also appears to be locked in read only mode. Secure erase does nothing, all modifications are gone after restarting. As long as its not hardware and it sounds like a big "if", has anyone with the ready only issue been able to write to the emmc again after going through the debrick process? I found a few people who asked the question earlier in the thread but i never saw a response unless i missed it, which i could have. Also, has anyone had the same weird power on issues that i am having. Thanks.
Yeah, several people with the same problem, reboot works every time but to power it off and back on is like a lottery.
I did not find 100% reliable way to power it back on but connecting to charger and playing with the power button ccertainlyhelps.
When it decides to boot it will work like a Swiss watch.

Did you try to run debrick when it plays dead?
I did but ended with Checking for software version.. it did not finish

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
i would venture to guess your battery is going. Any thoughts, Grimm?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using RootzWiki
I don't believe battery replacement will fix it since I have the same problem
reboot works fine but powering down and back on doesn't. Battery swap did not fix it.
I just make sure to put it bac on charger after use.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
Since the bricking phase of its life, no I haven't ever tried booting WebOS to see if it works any better. But multiple people posted that "the problem" afflicts WebOS too. Unfortunately it sounds like there's not just 1 problem going on here. My TP seemed to be rock solid for approx a year, regardless of whether it was WebOS or CM9. There was another poster who was adept at opening up his touchpad and reviving it via battery removal and external charging; he experimented and found that like 3 out of 4 times that he shut it down, it would not come back.
I have tried in webos but same problem, shutdown will temporary brick it.
Reboot works every time.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
i too had the 'multi prob' and based on some recommendations on this thread left my TP unplugged for a couple of weeks. yesterday, plugged it in and immediately saw flashing lights. ~15 minutes later, TP was booting.

it's worth a shot.
Did you try to shutdown and boot again since then? (Not rebooting)
Thanks

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
recently found my tp wouldn't boot & i've tried just about everything. gave this a run & it seems to hang looking for the device @ 'Requesting SoftwareVersion...'

I guess I'll unplug it & keep it off the touchstone for a week or so & give it another shot.

Thanks,

any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
I get the same thing when my TP plays dead if I shutdown (reboot works fine)
It will eventually boot again but I still didn't find what causes that problem.
(I did replace battery but it did not help)
How did yours get bricked?

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
out of curiosity, tried booting now after prior shutdown. no issues, booted into setup no problems.
Thanks for the test :)
On mine if I boot back on imediatelly after shutdown it will work as well but if I let it off for some time then it will not boot.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
More to that same odd de-brick...

For the folks who are talking about powering it off re-creating the brick condition, are they also TPs that have the "open multi failed" message when you try to use the debrick tool?

I ask because the unit I have here charged up,..............
No, in my case I get stuck at checking software version, the debrick process never finished for me.
Asked numerous times but never got answer what it means.

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
I believe it was the power off too. I never let the device run low, and it was fully charged before giving it the command to power off. Can't remember the last time I powered it down.

I still have Palm PDA's that continue to work fine due my treating them like a pet - daily feeding!

I tried every button combination, varying mA chargers, touchstones, connection to my laptop, and cables over a 4 day period, each night connecting it to a different charging method. Using tpdebrick may have been an incredible coincidence in revival, but I tend to believe otherwise.

WyreNut
There is probably much more people with this problem then we think. I have about 11Touchpads between friends and family and two suffer with this bricking problem when turned OFF (otherwise they work great)

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
OMG!!!!! It's alive, it's alive!!!!

TP is now 100% fully charged after a few days of charging & is running like nothing ever happened...it's like "Eh, where you been? I've got some updates to install woman!"

Since I got the much hoped for "ALL DONE", I've been charging TP using stock charger for about 1.5 days, then TP USB on PC for about another 1.5 days, then TP USB on Samsung tablet charger for a day, then finally back to HP charger around 8 last night but changing to an outlet in my room & placing TP beside heat vent -- yes, heat still on here in Canada! I was grasping at this point...I remember seeing in typescript something about battery temp being 0 as well & thought maybe the poor thing was cold.

Over the past few days I tried many button combos to see if it would turn on. This morning around 4 was the same except this time I held power button down while plugging and unplugging mini USB from TP. After about 10 tries I'd say, (not sure exactly how many), I finally got the left to right blinking home button which is the FIRST sign of life since last August!! I left it charging and around 5 this evening I finally got it to turn on & battery was at 14%. Left it to continue charging, went shopping, and came home around 8 & it was at 100%.

Honestly, other than following JC's debrick process to the letter this last time -- by that I mean this time I made an Ubuntu 32 bit live CD, I don't know what exactly did the trick to get past the open multi unknown fail. I did also install the ADB & Fastboot utilities as suggested on pg 1 of thread. Since first starting on this project a few weeks ago, I went to sooooo many threads on different sites finding out what tweaks worked for others & trying all. I did get same multi open fail this last round of trials too but kept running sudo command. At one point, I think after I got a fail of some kind or aborted msg, I unplugged the USB from PC then plugged it back in & did the 3 button combo for like a second (this was suggested in this thread I think by another member. FYI, I had previously tried this but it didn't work). After that, it took off copying files. I was expecting it to stop at some point & every time it seemed to pause to "think" or load something I waited with bated breath!

Persistence is key I think as well so don't give up! The process will work. I probably ran it about 10-15 times & each time I think it kept progressing somewhat.

JC, I thank you again for developing this fix and am gratefully sending a donation your way...love ya!

To the brick afflicted: if I can do this, you can too! I'm normally a mild mannered mortgage underwriter by day with zero programming skills. Anything I didn't understand I just googled!

Hang in there all!!

FYI, my TP only ever had webOS on it.
Good for you :)
Now instal Android and don't look back

·
Android Beginner
138 Posts
Running a battery down until it shuts down (or maybe 10%) tells the OS the current battery capacity and should be done occasionally. If you have a current rom, it should power off when the battery is at 3% (even tho the rom will report 0%). Of course there are risks with this on the TP (although I've never had issues the couple times it happened to me on 3 different TPs).
Avoid doing this if your TP likes to brick it self on power down

1 - 20 of 25 Posts