Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Hey Guys. I am one of those lucky folks who was able to rescue their Touchpad with the awesome TP Debrick v 004. Very excited about that. My question now is. does anyone know of a program or an app I can install to prevent this battery drainage again? I know CM 10 should help but if it is experimental I like waiting for a while till all the kinks are worked out because I am not that tech savvy. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give.
J.C. Sullins included a patch in his latest rom dated 12162013 that shuts down the TouchPad at 3%. There are also two apps on the Play Store, AutomateIt and Llama that are user configurable for any percent you want. You can also set up rules to warn you verbally when your TouchPad reaches a predetermined level, like 20%. I have AutomateIt set up on my TP running CM9 and it works like a charm. I had trouble setting it up on my CM10 TP, so I tried and was able to setup Llama on that one. It is amazing the variety of rules one can set up using these apps.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I'm pretty sure that shutting down *is* what causes the problem. My latest bricking (today) occurred when I unplugged the charger. The battery was at 100% but there must've been an ill-configured power app or similar that decided that without a charger that it should shut down. A message appeared for about 5s and then it goes black. The first time I got bricked (2 months ago), I did a shutdown on purpose via the power button. So if you ask me and a few others on this forum, always keep it turned on and charged. Until today I could always unplug it for a few days; just had to make sure I replugged in before battery got run down. A restart seems to always work for me fine but shutdown is big no-no. This is running CM9. Ugh. And I'm one of the group who gets the cookie error (now known as "open multi failed" error.) [email protected]#$%^&*( touchpad
I believe you are applying a warning to everyone that really only applies to a small percentage of the total TouchPads out there. I have been turning off, shutting down and unplugging my two TouchPads for a year and a half and have never experienced a bricking. I know over a dozen folks personally who own one or more TouchPads and know of only one who ended up with a bricked tablet. From the posts I have read since this issue came to light, the majority seem to have been caused by folks letting their tablet drain down to zero one time too many. I would also suspect that your particular issue, the cookie error, puts you into an even smaller grouping of TouchPad owners.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Was you device actually bricked before? This applies to people who experianced problems to power on.
I actually appealed to people in the first post to test this theory but there were no takers :) and I don't blame them.
A friend of mine had his stop charging and it refused to come back to life no matter what was tried. Unfortunately, this happened before J.C. Sullins started the debricking thread. And what you are saying reinforces exactly what I said to "bikehike", the folks that are having this problem are a small community of Touchpad users who have the unfortunate lot in life that their tablet behaves badly. This does not apply to the majority of TouchPad owners.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Using USB pass through via a virtual machine with windows as a host is going to fail, I've tried this myself many times.
On another note,
I am passing on thanks from 3 serving marines who borough their TP to me to fix, I could have just sat down and fixed my myself but they showed interest in how it's done so we went through the steps by hand using JC's current V004 guide,
All 3 fixed and running in less than a hour.
3 very happy marines.
Semper Fi
I've given them JC's details for Beer pong donations.

I've made a cash offer for one unit so that I can continue my dev work with a real device and not running on theory all the time.

Oh non had any further issues after the debrick, no QOD or qdload errors.

sent from the Darkspr1te's lair
Please pass on to them our thanks for their service to our country. I am a Vietnam vet who had to endure the less than grateful American public and want to make sure these guys do not suffer the same shameful ingratitude. One thing I am grateful for is that I did not have to endure the repeated deployments like this generation of servicemen has had to. Sorry for the patriotic rant.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Just created an account to say THANK YOU to jcsullins! I just debricked my 32GB TouchPad that has been dead for a couple of months after the battery died(while plugged in) and would not boot back up or charge. I bought a replacement battery, and when I changed it out, it came up with the battery icon with a question mark inside of it. I figured I needed a new USB board, but the person I contacted pointed me to TPDebrick. I finally got around to doing this, and my TouchPad is alive again! The best part(aside from it now working again) is all of my settings and files are still in place as if nothing happened. Thanks for your hard work on this, jcsullins!
Just a friendly reminder that you guys should go to extra lengths to protect your TouchPads from becoming "bricked" again by installing AutomateIt or Llama and setting a rule to shut your TouchPad down at 10 or 15%. I know that J.C. added a built in shutdown at 3% in the 1216 CM10 rom, so if you are running that, you may not want to set a rule for that. I also set a rule on mine to verbally remind me at 20% that "Warning, The battery is at 20%". It's amazing how that gets your attention. Scared the crap the first time mine reached 20%.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but I'm not running Android on my TP. I've been happy running just WebOS on it so far. If there's something similar for WebOS, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Far as I know, there is nothing available or needed for WebOS. It does battery management very nicely compared to Android.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
awesome, but it's been close to 12 hours since the symbol appeared. Will the device boot itself after enough charge is (re)stored or should I try to power it on manually?
Did you switch it over to a known good HP TouchPad wall charger and usb cable as suggested? If not, do so now and wait. Do not try turning it on. When the battery has charged sufficently, it should boot up.

BTW, it has not been established how you got into this situation. Did you just recently install CM10? If so, did you make sure that MTP was checked in settings/storage/ three dots upper right corner, usb computer connection and put a check next to MTP? If this is the case, when your TouchPad boots to Android without the check by MTP, it is just going to discharge and die again unless you catch it booting up and boot it to WebOS and let it charge up. If you have CM9 installed, then you should be OK.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
After successfully performing TPDEBRICK-V004, my touchpad is not recognized by my computer when I attach the TP via a USB cable. I get an error that says the device has malfunctioned and is not recognized. I get this error when I boot to both WebOS and CM9. Any suggestions?
Besides trying a different cable, have you tried to mount usb via cwm?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
This brought my Touchpad back, and donation sent. Now if only we could prevent the low/dead battery from causing this in the first place.
Install AutomateIt or Llama. If you had read through this thread you would have known that. Reading through the entire thread is highly recommended.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Right I understand that, but with WebOS that didn't make the TP turn into a brick, with my other devices they revive. It appears this one if it gets that low and starts trying to write something and corrupts itself? I'm not sure there, but something must be possible to prevent it as it's the only device I have where I fear it's battery dying aside from my ancient Palm V which runs on Ram basically.
When a TouchPad is turned off, it's just another electronic device with a battery keeping it ready to be turned on. The fact that Android has been installed on it doesn't make it prone to this problem. In the case of the HP TouchPad, it's been pretty well proven that certain ones appear to be prone to bricking if the battery is allowed to drain to zero. So your task my friend it to be a responsible adult and pull it out of the drawer once in a while and charge it up. You might want to try Googling the care and maintenance of lithium batteries and learn what it takes to care of one.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Is the Goo link not working for anyone else? I am trying to get the tpdebrick-v004.zip and it says it was not found. I have a Tp that is not turning on at all and will not show the USB connection image. I do get a battery with a ? but that is it. I have let it change via the wall plug for several days but nothing.
Yes, Goo.im appears to be misbehaving right now.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Thanks to jcsullins, gradular and gkwiki - have TP up and running now. I followed the liveusb route as follows:

- downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32 bit) from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop - actually this downloads ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso
- used LinuxLive USB Creator 2.8.19 to create LiveUSB on 2GB stick
- booted Windows 7 desktop with liveUSB, having changed boot order to USB-HDD first.

The first problem when running tpdebrick-v004 was as reported above ("fastboot" and "dfu-util" not installed).
Used advice on http://www.webupd8.o...roid-tools.html and ran in Linux "terminal" the following:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
Rebooted, and followed OP procedure without a hitch. Have 21% on battery already and booted up previously bricked TP. One happy wife!

Donation on its way to jcsullins - I can only admire his expertise in solving this unfortunate characteristic with the TPs.

Thanks again.
Did you install Llama or AutomateIt to protect your investment in time and money, not to mention keeping the wife happy?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
That's similar to my 2nd bricking: when I disconnected it from the charger (battery at 100%) it immediately put a message up that it was shutting down. Resulting in immediate brick. With my TP a shutdown is the recipe to brick it. (restart works fine, though.) I'm wondering if it could be a recent (1 to 2 months ago) change to CM9 to automatically shut itself down at some battery level that was the "culprit". i.e. a buggy determination that it needs to shutdown because the battery is in danger of getting too low. The other possible culprit I'll check if it ever revives is a buggy battery app that initiated the shutdwon. If it ever rivives, my plan is to just disable/uninstall the battery app and drop back to a Dec2012 CM9 version.
Have you ever tested it in WebOS? How does it behave?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I have tried in webos but same problem, shutdown will temporary brick it.
Reboot works every time.
The point of my asking was in your previous post you were pointing at it being a CM9 cause. Where as if it happens in both operating systems, then that tends to point at a hardware issue, ie., J.C. process to reflash the A6 controller. That's firmware, not operating system software.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I get the same thing when my TP plays dead if I shutdown (reboot works fine)
It will eventually boot again but I still didn't find what causes that problem.
(I did replace battery but it did not help)
How did yours get bricked?
Don't remember, did anyone suggest that you completely uninstall Android and see how your TouchPad behaves just running WebOS? If so, did you try that?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Thank you jscullens for your dedication and effort.

I stumbled upon this site last night and thought there might be some hope for my bricked tp. Tried the fix however I'm one of the unlucky ones getting the open multi error result.

My tp up and shut itself off one day in August just after it was off warranty. Tried whatever I could find on the wb to get it running but no go.

I was really hoping this would work. My tp wasn't drained when it shut itself off...don't know why it died. I had just gotten it back too from hp for a cracked case issue. It seems that right after the last update it died.

I hope someone can fix the open multi issue.

Thanks.
You probably have corrupted A6 controller firmware which means that your battery is fine, just the controller can't talk to the TP to start it up. If you have not read all the way through this thread, you need to do so. You also need to find the IRC where J.C. hangs out. He has talked more than one desperate sole through the process. This process of debricking has been around for months and has been updated and fine tuned many times by J.C. There still may be a way to get yours going again.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Hi there "nevertells". Thanks for the reply and advice. Do you really think there's hope?? My TP was never able to charge back since it died. Tried various USB's, chargers, outlets, button combos, not to mention the fix on pg 1 of this thread last night but nothing. I did read all 46 pgs of the thread last night but you'll have to forgive me, I'm a bit of a techno-tard, so I may have missed something that was pertinent to my issue but because of my ignorance didn't realize it's importance. : ) Can you point me in the right direction pleeeeease??? Thank you!
Here is the deal Angileque, the expert here is J.C. Sullins. If you don't understand what is being discussed here, then you should not be attempting it. I previously suggested you contact J.C. and see what he can do for you. That is the direction I am pointing you in. Fortunately for me, I have never experienced a bricked TouchPad, so I have never had to attempt the debricking process. I occasionally offer up suggestions or ideas which is what I did with you. Maybe one of the other participants here can offer their help or help you contact J.C. on IRC. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Success! My touchdroid is back, happily moving its live wallpaper at me!

I too ran into the multi-error, but tried again several times. Never saw the hoped for "All Done".

After reading all the educated guesses that the emm chip was dead, I was very dejected and began to shut down my laptop and roll up the cables.

Seeing the victim lying next to the OEM charging cable and transformer, I thought "what the heck?" Plugged it in, and saw the battery symbol appear!! First sign of life in 4 days... I took this device to the HP Social Support Summit as a rep for webOS/Touchpads and the thing died when I powered it down for the takeoff on the plane.

My hat is off to jcsullins, and I'll be linking to this thread from the HP support forum.

WyreNut

PS-> Tried to create an account with the tenderloin, not possible to put the puzzle together.

J. C. Sullins is the expert on this, but from my reading, I don't think you revived your TouchPad with the debrick process. The fact that you never saw the "All Done", but did get the multi-error tells me that the process never successfully completed. There have been many folks report over the last several months before debricking came about that they finally succeeded after numerous attempts at all kinds of suggestions over days and sometimes months. Then one day, they just noticed that it started working and they were not sure which suggestion it was that worked. Glad you are back up and running. Now keep that battery charged up and don't tempt fate by letting your TP drain down too low. A happy lithium battery is a well charged one. They don't like being drained down low like Nimh and Nicad batteries.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
In the for what it is worth department, [background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I have become suspicious of constantly using the power button to wake up my TouchPads. I have switched to using the "home" button for that function and I'll tell you why. Have you ever forgotten whether your TP is turned off or just asleep. I can regularly duplicate the following: if my TP is turned off and I'm thinking it is asleep, if I tap the power button to wake it up and it does not, I then have to press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds, instead of the normal 4 to 5 seconds, to get it to turn on. I don't like the fact of this happening, so now I use the "Home" button to wake up the TP. If I don't get any response, then obviously it's turned off and I can press the power button for the normal 4 to 5 seconds to turn it on.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]My thinking is that the "tap" of the power button sends a momentary spike of voltage to those circuits that control the the turning on of the TP and they don't like it. Who knows, this may even be part of the cause of the "bricking" syndrome that has been plaguing so many people. Long and the short of it, I'm not taking any chances at having an event that requires running the "Debricking" process or any other battery anomaly that others have been reporting. You might want to make this a habit yourself.[/background]

1 - 20 of 194 Posts