Android OS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think my problem is abd and fastboot aren't installed and/or functional.

I get:

E: Unable to locate package android-tools-fastboot

Install fastboot failed

Aborted.

I've googled and tried some random repositories and then tried the command here:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

*EDIT*

Looks like I need to find another Ubuntu live boot USB to use (other than 12.04) or some other way to get ADB and Fastboot installed:

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/webupd8/precise/main/base/android-tools-fastboot

*EDIT SOLUTION*

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

I'm sure the tools will eventually disappear from that repository also, but I don't know a manual way to get the tools. If this thread still has any life to it, it would be nice of one of you gurus can add steps to manually download and reference the ADB and FASTBOOT tools. I tried myself and also adding to PATH, but I'm no Ubuntu guy. I just know a bit about Linux from managing VMware stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As you can see, this thread is virtually dead. Your's is the first post in 2+ months. I'm not a TouchPad Debrick guru but can offer some insight. First off, have you read through the entire thread? Just about any situation you can imagine has been discussed and most times solutions found. Did you followed the instructions in the OP to the letter including Mr. Sullin's comment that you have to use Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit livecd (or liveusb), otherwise you are on your own. This has been discussed and reinforced numerous times through out the thread.

As far as your other comments about ADB and Fastboot, if that was required in addition to his Debrick script, I'm sure he would have mentioned it in his OP. But again, that is why you need to read through the entire thread. You do not explain much about what you have tried and how you tried it with using his Debrick script. With what little information you provided, not much help can be provided in return. But again, reading through the thread will probably answer most of your questions.

NT
I read through a decent amount... was just overwhelming, but his steps are perfect. The only problem is that ADB and Fastboot are no longer in the repository that the debrick references to. I had to take steps to install it separately because they wouldn't install. I figured that if anyone wanted to update the OP or the like, that they could use my information about the repos not including it. The repo that I was able to grab adb and fastboot from is ppa:phablet-team/tool

And yes I know it's dead. I edited my post (originally stated I know it's dead, but then when I got the solution I removed it in hopes of my post not being too long). I'm actually surprised I got any response at all in the same day!

My HP TP boots now, but still corrupt... can't even wipe factory defaults with clockword mod. Cyanogen doesn't boot. I'll figure it out I guess... may have to redo the whole mod on my HP TP if I can rattle my brain from 5 years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to use TPTB for something that it not needed. One of the first things Mr. Sullins says in his OP is:

NOTE: If you can hold Power+Home+VolUP for 30 seconds and see a big USB symbol,
then you SHOULD NOT do the following.

From what you say, you are able to get to the Moboot menu and start CWM. If that it the case, you don't need TouchPad Debrick.

Maybe you need to use his TouchPad Toolbox utility and do a complete data reset and start from scratch.

NT
No, I did need it. Power+Home+ anything would do nothing. The debrick totally got the device to a semi-functional state. Before, either I had the battery symbol, or nothing. Now, I get to the boot menu. I can get into clockwork mod, but when I run a full wipe/factory reset, it sits at the second step (after successfully wiping cache). TP toolbox... I'll have to look into that. Not sure I've used that before. Thanks.

Currently, when trying to boot into cyanogen, it's just a boot loop back to the boot menu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So Debrick got you to the point that your TP is semi-usable. So now is when TouchPad Toolbox should get you to a good place. If you use the complete data reset, that removes WebOS and dedicates all available memory to Android. Here is a link to the TPTB thread and a thread that goes in to great detail on how to use it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2756314

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-touchpad/help/rom-guide-how-to-install-android-4-4-x-t2912820

NT
Just saw this post, but your previous post already pointed me towards the TP toolbox and got me going!

Wow, the toolbox is way simpler than previous methods from years ago. Thanks for the links anyway, but again your previous post was already helpful enough!!

My HP TP is back to life now, with CM11. Last I had on it was CM9. I basically keep my HP TP around so I can play with android whenever needed. I'm a systems engineer and used to be a desktop guy back in the day, so I like to keep multiple operating systems around for mobile, desktop, and servers. =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts