Android OS Forum banner
1681 - 1700 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I'm referring to v001.

My touchpad is stuck in qsdload, it's seem that It can be fix with QPST software.

thx
Why aren't you trying to fix your TP with his v.004 debrick? That is what the link in the OP downloads. And there is a v.005 out too. Or am I misunderstanding your answer? I asked what version you are currently using and what version you are referring to. Your answer is kind of ambiguous.

I also found the following link. It is a bit old and if it works, I would then use TouchPad Toolbox to remove WebOS and install Android.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/320485-how-completely-fix-bricked-touch-pad.html

NT

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're misunderstanding my answer. I'm a user of TB debrick and TP toolbox, my Tp is stuck in QSSDLoad. I tried v004 for my TP and I will check v005 if you provide the link.

I founded an old post using for device in QSDLoad mode, maybe my Tp will come back to life with QPST software, then TP toolbox to go trough Android setup. To understand the steps described, I need 8660_msimage.mbn and EMMCBLD.HEX from TP Debrick v001.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're misunderstanding my answer. I'm a user of TB debrick and TP toolbox, my Tp is stuck in QSSDLoad. I tried v004 for my TP and I will check v005 if you provide the link.

I founded an old post using for device in QSDLoad mode, maybe my Tp will come back to life with QPST software, then TP toolbox to go trough Android setup. To understand the steps described, I need 8660_msimage.mbn and EMMCBLD.HEX from TP Debrick v001.
Try Googling for 8660_msimage.mbn and EMMCBLD.HEX - there are numerous results.

Not certain if they were part of the DeBrick Utility...

I just went and dug through my files and I didn't have a v001. All I've got is v004 and v005.

You can DL v004 and v005 from JCSs Codefire section.

http://downloads.codefi.re/jcsullins/tpdebrick/

I've had better results running this utility under *Nix instead of Windoze.

_Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have the white battery of death on my TP. I tried to follow the instructions on page 1 but I couldn't even get to that because I couldn't get my usb drive to act as a boot device to run unbuntu. Can someone help me set up the flash drive so it can be bootable? The instructions seem simple enough with TPdebrick but I need to get unbuntu running first.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I too have the white battery of death on my TP. I tried to follow the instructions on page 1 but I couldn't even get to that because I couldn't get my usb drive to act as a boot device to run unbuntu. Can someone help me set up the flash drive so it can be bootable? The instructions seem simple enough with TPdebrick but I need to get unbuntu running first.

Thank you
Search Google for this, install ubuntu on usb

NT

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI

I am new to this thread and I am new to trying to fix my TP. I followed the instructions on the first page using TPdebrick and I too am getting the fastboot error message. It runs through all the steps fairly quickly and at the end it says "E: Unable to locate package android-tools-fastboot". Then it says "install fastboot failed"

Then it says "aborted"

When I read the replies to fix the problem, it says to use unbuntu 12.04 32 bit which I did and I still get the same result. I also tried the newest version of unbuntu and still the same.

Can someone out there help a newbie and a novice to unbuntu to add these missing files?

Also during the steps on page one, I too hold down the 3 button combo and the pad does not respond. Is that normal or is the pad expected to do somehitng?

Thank you

PS I am running tpdebrick v005

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are referring to my post, no I did not read through all 170 pages but I followed the instructions on page one to the letter. I used the software versions exactly and followed every step exactly. I still get the error messages I posted previously. In fact I read the next couple of posts on page one which asked the same questions I have but I do not know how to add the missing software to my bootable usb drive. I tried using more up to date versions of unbuntu and tpdebrick to see if they would help only after using the ones specified without success. I do no know the first thing about unbuntu but I am trying. I am just asking for a little guidance to try to bring my TP back to life.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
If you are referring to my post, no I did not read through all 170 pages but I followed the instructions on page one to the letter. I used the software versions exactly and followed every step exactly. I still get the error messages I posted previously. In fact I read the next couple of posts on page one which asked the same questions I have but I do not know how to add the missing software to my bootable usb drive. I tried using more up to date versions of unbuntu and tpdebrick to see if they would help only after using the ones specified without success. I do no know the first thing about unbuntu but I am trying. I am just asking for a little guidance to try to bring my TP back to life.
The point of my asking you if you had read the thread is all the questions you are asking have been asked, discussed and most answered. The author of the thread is the expert and only if he decides to answer will you get the best help. Short of that, reading the thread is your next best avenue. If you are not willing to read and educate yourself about how to debrick a TouchPad, then it's time to retire your five year old tablet.

You will also find out by reading the thread that it is not the slightest bit as busy was it was years ago. So your chance of someone besides Sullins providing you an answer is slim. You are going to have to help yourself if you want a chance of resurrecting your TouchPad.

Good luck, NT

·
Android Beginner
365 Posts

Try Googling for 8660_msimage.mbn and EMMCBLD.HEX - there are numerous results.

Not certain if they were part of the DeBrick Utility...

I just went and dug through my files and I didn't have a v001. All I've got is v004 and v005.

You can DL v004 and v005 from JCSs Codefire section.

http://downloads.codefi.re/jcsullins/tpdebrick/

I've had better results running this utility under *Nix instead of Windoze.

_Dan
You do not need that. There is only one TP I have not fixed using this and that because the emmc is corrupt and does not allow -rw. I have the tpdebrick v001 if needed but it is not like the others. It is a uImage that needs novacom to run it. Which I have those as well. The webos sdk and the novacore sdk. I would go the route below. If you need help with the linux here is some usual info.

1. I couldn't get ubuntu 11.4 to boot my two PCs (one won't boot and one have no wifi driver)

2. I ended up using ubuntu 16.4 (12.04 is probably a better choice)
3. I had to do "chmod 755 tpdebrick" before run it with sudo (probably unnecessary with 12. X)
4. I had to sear and run "Siftware & Update" and check all repository source (for next step)
5. I installed dfu-util and fastbook with
sudo apt-get install dfu-util
sudo apt-get install fastboot
6. I have to add a legacy option -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 to all scp and ssh commands in tpdebrick

and

If you get the following message:

[email protected]:~/Downloads/tpdebrick-v004$ script
Script started, file is typescript
[email protected]:~/Downloads/tpdebrick-v004$ sudo ./tpdebrick 16
dfu-util not installed
fastboot not installed
Aborted.
[email protected]:~/Downloads/tpdebrick-v004$

On the Ubuntu desktop screen:

Click system settings (on the left hand side) then click software & Updates

Then on the Ubuntu Software tab tick community maintained free ..... (universe)

Then go back to terminal and run (just copy and paste everything between the " " below and press enter)

"sudo apt-get update"

"sudo apt-get install dfu-util"

"sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot"

"sudo apt-get install android-tools-fsutil"

Once these have been installed go back to the tpdebrick-v004 instructions and try again

It should now state Connect touchpad and Hold Power+Home+VolDown buttons on Touchpad for 30 seconds

Also note, when i did this it would not work so i pressed Power+Home+VolUP the touchpad then said now release buttons and away it went :grin:

All done it rebooted back into cyanogenmod boot screen and fired up as if nothing was ever wrong with it = Beauty! :grin:

Go to here and download everything stated below.

Quote:
jcsullins, on 30 Jan 2013 - 8:21 PM, said:
tpdebrick v004 by jcsullins
===========================
TPDebrick is a suite of programs and files used to "debrick"
HP Touchpads. This process should allow the revival of Touchpads
that cannot boot due to corrupted raw partitions, corrupted bootloaders
or corrupted A6 firmware. Note that this should allow you to get
into bootie (webOS) recovery mode. Additional steps may be needed
after to restore the bootie configuration or OS (i.e. webOS doctor).

NOTE: If you can hold Power+Home+VolUP for 30 seconds and see a big USB symbol,
then you SHOULD NOT do the following.

NOTE: Before attempting the following,
you should make sure that the failure to boot isn't due to
a faulty USB cable or charger.

NOTE: The following should be considered a LAST RESORT.
If the Touchpad isn't already "bricked",
then the following may very well "brick" it.

NOTE: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

TPDebrick has been designed and tested to work with an
Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit livecd (or liveusb). The instructions that follow
assume that you are booting an Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit livecd (or liveusb).

1. Click "Try Ubuntu"
2. Click the Wifi icon in top right of screen
3. Click on your Wifi AP name to establish network connection
4. Enter wifi password, if needed
5. Click Firefox icon on left of screen
6. Download the webOS 3.0.5 doctor from the URL:
http://downloads.codefi.re/jcsullins...5hstnhwifi.jar
7. Select "Save File"
8. Click OK
9. Download tpdebrick-v004 from the URL:
http://downloads.codefi.re/jcsullins...brick-v004.zip
10. Select "Save File"
11. Click OK
12. Wait for downloads to complete
13. Click "Dash Home" (icon in top left corner of screen)
14. Type in "Terminal"
15. Click on the "Terminal" icon
16. Click in the "Terminal" window
17. Run "cd Downloads"
18. Run "unzip tpdebrick-v004"
19. Run "cd tpdebrick-v004"
20. Connect touchpad
21. Hold Power+Home+VolDown buttons on Touchpad for 30 seconds
22. Run "script" (this will capture the output of the tpdebrick process)
23. Run "sudo ./tpdebrick XX" (where XX is the size of the TP: 16, 32 or 64)

The tpdebrick process can take from 5 to 10 minutes (or even more
if you have very slow network connection). It should end with "ALL DONE."
If the process hangs for more than 5 minutes, you can abort the process
by pressing Ctrl-\ (Ctrl key and key with '|' above '\').

24. Run "exit" (this will stop the output capture started with 'script')

25. If the 'tpdebrick' process did not end with "ALL DONE." you should
upload the "typescript" file (the output capture) so that the cause
of failure can be diagnosed. Regardless, it's a good idea to save
this file somewhere for future analysis, if needed.

26. Click icon in far right corner of screen
27. Select "shutdown"
28. Select "shutdown" or "reboot"

29. Connect Touchpad to stock HP AC charger and allow to charge for
several hours

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help me please. After
21. Hold Power+Home+VolDown buttons on Touchpad for 30 seconds
22. Run "script" (this will capture the output of the tpdebrick process)
23. Run "sudo ./tpdebrick XX" (where XX is the size of the TP: 16, 32 or 64)

the process is started.
But after some time interrupted.
And he writes:
QDL second stage mode not found

http://cdn.pbrd.co/images/o7dbv9Mfj.png

Also, the sound is heard at the same time

By using Oracle VM VirtualBox....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think my problem is abd and fastboot aren't installed and/or functional.

I get:

E: Unable to locate package android-tools-fastboot

Install fastboot failed

Aborted.

I've googled and tried some random repositories and then tried the command here:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

*EDIT*

Looks like I need to find another Ubuntu live boot USB to use (other than 12.04) or some other way to get ADB and Fastboot installed:

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/webupd8/precise/main/base/android-tools-fastboot

*EDIT SOLUTION*

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

I'm sure the tools will eventually disappear from that repository also, but I don't know a manual way to get the tools. If this thread still has any life to it, it would be nice of one of you gurus can add steps to manually download and reference the ADB and FASTBOOT tools. I tried myself and also adding to PATH, but I'm no Ubuntu guy. I just know a bit about Linux from managing VMware stuff.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
As you can see, this thread is virtually dead. Your's is the first post in 2+ months. I'm not a TouchPad Debrick guru but can offer some insight. First off, have you read through the entire thread? Just about any situation you can imagine has been discussed and most times solutions found. Did you followed the instructions in the OP to the letter including Mr. Sullin's comment that you have to use Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit livecd (or liveusb), otherwise you are on your own. This has been discussed and reinforced numerous times through out the thread.

As far as your other comments about ADB and Fastboot, if that was required in addition to his Debrick script, I'm sure he would have mentioned it in his OP. But again, that is why you need to read through the entire thread. You do not explain much about what you have tried and how you tried it with using his Debrick script. With what little information you provided, not much help can be provided in return. But again, reading through the thread will probably answer most of your questions.

NT

·
Registered
4 Posts
As you can see, this thread is virtually dead. Your's is the first post in 2+ months. I'm not a TouchPad Debrick guru but can offer some insight. First off, have you read through the entire thread? Just about any situation you can imagine has been discussed and most times solutions found. Did you followed the instructions in the OP to the letter including Mr. Sullin's comment that you have to use Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit livecd (or liveusb), otherwise you are on your own. This has been discussed and reinforced numerous times through out the thread.

As far as your other comments about ADB and Fastboot, if that was required in addition to his Debrick script, I'm sure he would have mentioned it in his OP. But again, that is why you need to read through the entire thread. You do not explain much about what you have tried and how you tried it with using his Debrick script. With what little information you provided, not much help can be provided in return. But again, reading through the thread will probably answer most of your questions.

NT
I read through a decent amount... was just overwhelming, but his steps are perfect. The only problem is that ADB and Fastboot are no longer in the repository that the debrick references to. I had to take steps to install it separately because they wouldn't install. I figured that if anyone wanted to update the OP or the like, that they could use my information about the repos not including it. The repo that I was able to grab adb and fastboot from is ppa:phablet-team/tool

And yes I know it's dead. I edited my post (originally stated I know it's dead, but then when I got the solution I removed it in hopes of my post not being too long). I'm actually surprised I got any response at all in the same day!

My HP TP boots now, but still corrupt... can't even wipe factory defaults with clockword mod. Cyanogen doesn't boot. I'll figure it out I guess... may have to redo the whole mod on my HP TP if I can rattle my brain from 5 years ago.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to use TPTB for something that it not needed. One of the first things Mr. Sullins says in his OP is:

From what you say, you are able to get to the Moboot menu and start CWM. If that it the case, you don't need TouchPad Debrick.

Maybe you need to use his TouchPad Toolbox utility and do a complete data reset and start from scratch.

NT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to use TPTB for something that it not needed. One of the first things Mr. Sullins says in his OP is:

From what you say, you are able to get to the Moboot menu and start CWM. If that it the case, you don't need TouchPad Debrick.

Maybe you need to use his TouchPad Toolbox utility and do a complete data reset and start from scratch.

NT
No, I did need it. Power+Home+ anything would do nothing. The debrick totally got the device to a semi-functional state. Before, either I had the battery symbol, or nothing. Now, I get to the boot menu. I can get into clockwork mod, but when I run a full wipe/factory reset, it sits at the second step (after successfully wiping cache). TP toolbox... I'll have to look into that. Not sure I've used that before. Thanks.

Currently, when trying to boot into cyanogen, it's just a boot loop back to the boot menu.

1681 - 1700 of 1722 Posts