Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface: I'm a noob

I decided that I wanted to try building a ROM, but I've been having a lot of trouble with getting source code...

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10, and I followed this CyanogenMod guide exactly, but something's going wrong... I made a bin directory in my home folder, as well as the android/system, then made the repo with this:
Code:
curl [URL=https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo]https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo[/URL] > ~/bin/repo
which worked successfully, then ran this and then rebooted:
Code:
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

I cd'ed into the android/system dir and ran this:
Code:
repo init -u [URL=git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git]git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git[/URL] -b gingerbread

I don't know if this did what it should have done, because I got this output "repo initialized in /home/patrick" instead of what I was expecting, which was something along these lines: "repo initialized in /home/patrick/android/system." I made sure that I my working directory was still right, and it was still android/system. I don't know if that was right or not, but I assumed it was since I had literally copied and pasted the lines from the wiki.

After that was all done, I typed
Code:
<br />
repo sync -j16<br />
It did a bunch of stuff that looked right, and took FOREVER to be done. Well, really I don't think it really ever finished. I let it go for a few hours but when I came back it was stuck like this.

I gave it some time to work, hoping it would start up again, but nothing happened so I closed the terminal.

I checked my home folder and it was cluttered with all of the folders and files from the attempted download of the source, instead of them being in /android/system where they should have been. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated now, because after deleting all of the extra stuff I decided to try redoing the whole process, but now it just fetches projects and syncs the work tree but doesn't download anything new.

Any help is much appreciated, I just want to start by building my own nightly kang for now, but I can't until I have CM source

ALSO: Bonus points if someone can help me sync the ICS branch for CM9, I tried that too but got the same-ish errors, I don't know if you CAN sync it yet but I think it would be pretty cool to try building my own nightlies of that for the Incredible too!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, what is the difference between "repo sync" and "repo sync -j16"? CyanogenMod says to use the latter, but I saw the former in a tutorial.

EDIT: Never mind about the -j16 part, I was told it specifies how many jobs to work on at a time. Still need help with everything else though!

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
it may not be lagging some of these repos are +gigabyte size

but if it is lagging ^z (control z) then just repo sync again this time drop down from j16 and just try j8 till you get the majority of the code local

repo can get confused if you give it too many jobs and the system may not be truly able to handle it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it was still trying to download anything, I kind of cut it off in the picture, but underneath the last line was a blank line, and there was no progress update or percentage or anything, just a blinking cursor...

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Bottom line if repo lags ...try again.

Could be the jobs, could be an uncaught error, could be gerrit code reviewer is pushing right then, could be git related or github could be having problems

But it you don't get an error and it is frozen just drop the process and sync again

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to install 64 bit Ubuntu instead of 32 bit, I don't know why I chose 32 in the first place but I read that you need 64 for building the source anyways. I'm currently still just downloading the SDK, but tomorrow I am going to try the getting the source again and hopefully it will work this time. Maybe all I needed was a clean slate, but I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes, fingers crossed!

·
Android Themer
544 Posts
I'll be keeping eyes on this thread. I cant help much but im planning on taking the leap soon. I like to learn from any resource possible... and ut looks like this may be a good one. Keep us posted!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grrr...

I have all the source and everything, but every time I try to compile, I have tried several times, I get this error!

I don't know what's happening, but when I go to android/system/out/target/product/inc, the only stuff that's there is this...

I'm still following the CyanogenMod wiki guide, so I used ". build/envsetup.sh" and then "brunch inc" to attempt to build the source code...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try repo sync again Or repo sync --local-only
I deleted everything and repo synced again, but still got the same error.

Also, as a side note, when I was trying to install the build packages for building CM on a 64-bit machine

Code:
<br />
g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib<br />
It can't find the gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib, which was apparently expected and no longer necessary, but it ALSO can't find this: lib32readline5-dev. I Googled around and couldn't really find anything about it, someone somewhere said it should still build fine, but I'm starting to get suspicious of that package... Do you know anything about it?

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
seems like your missing build dependancies try

sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils

notice the incompatible version lines

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have all of those things except for:
lib32readline5-dev: No installation candidate - The available lib32readline packages are "lib32readline5 lib32readline6 lib32readline6-dev and lib32readline-gplv2-dev

lib32z-dev: It tells me that it's installing lib32z1-dev instead, and installs that

I was missing mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown and libxml2-utils but they all installed just fine.

I guess the problem is with the lib32readline whatever package, which one(s) should I install?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And now JBird, one more question...

I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus tomorrow FOR SURE, and I'm going to want to play around with ROMs and stuff there too. I know that the most recent AOSP source listed on the website is 4.0.1r1.2, but I read that 4.0.2 was just released for the LTE Nexus. When I sync CM, I can just use the repo init command for the ics branch, is there an equivalent for the AOSP source, or do I have to just know the most recent version to sync it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts