Mod Type:: ROM

Difficulty:: Very Easy

Mod Status:: Stable

Apply In:: Alt. Recovery

Carrier:: T-Mobile

Requires Root:: Yes

Android Version:: 2.3.X (GB)

Source::
Tsugi Version 2011-12-31 (a 2.3.4 "Stock" Based ROM)
LAST ROM OF 2011!!!
---------
Tsugi is Japanese for Next. Thanks to a Tracfone leak, we received the gift of 2.3.4 not long ago. I have been working long and hard to improve upon it, and here is what I've got. A solid build with Wi-Fi Calling for you T-Mobile signal impaired people! I called this rom Tsugi because I believe it will be the Next "Best Official" Rom.

It was thought it couldn't be done. It was thought 2.3.3 was the "Best Official" firmware. JBoxer changed that. It was thought WiFi Calling wouldn't work. I fixed that. It was thought you couldn't Overclock 2.3.4.. wait, what? Yes, there's even an OC Kernel to try out.

THIS IS BASED ON LG CODE. AS SUCH, THERE ARE A FEW KNOWN ISSUES THAT CANNOT OR HAVE NOT YET BEEN RESOLVED. DO NOT POST ANY ISSUES UNLESS YOU HAVE READ POST #2 IN ITS ENTIRETY.
---------

LATEST NEWS 12-31-11
12-31: Happy 2012! Today's update fixes a couple of issues, updates some things, adds back a popular feature from my first attempts, and gives a new theme.

As before, this Rom uses a SMART UPDATER which is mostly smart but not 100%. If you're coming from another 2.3.4 Rom, it updates WITHOUT wiping. If you're coming from any other Rom, it wipes. If you want to force a wipe from another non-Tsugi 2.3.4 Rom (recommended) or force stock kernel install, use the G2X Scrubber available in the add-ons post.

NOTE: This Rom is Carrier-IQ FREE!

There are a number of addons that can be flashed after running the full install or the update. Not only can you flash to the P990 (LG) Camera, you can now restore the stock Android Music (instead of Google Music), set touchkey lights to be less bright, install the crashy but pretty LG Keyboard, overclock and undervolt, or just overclock without undervolting for more stability. All of this and more in Post #4.

Bloater is included in the Rom. If you select G2X (Lotherius) from the Bloater menu, you can add/remove a large number of items from the Rom.
---------

Features Overview
Based on 2.3.4 LG Code
Notification Panel buttons, Rom Manager support, International Locales Enabled, Updated Google Apps, WiFi Calling, Init Script Support, speed tweaks, lightly themed and MORE (See Full Changelog)

---------
FULL CHANGELOG:

12-31 Fixed Network Location Failure
12-31 Fixed Frozen Android on First Boot
12-31 Bundled Crash-Free LG Keyboard
12-31 Prettified GenieWidget
12-31 Sony Bravia Engine
12-31 Removed: Samsung Japanese IME
12-31 Removed: Adblock Hosts File (use AdFree)
12-7 Sent Intelligent Installer back to school. Fixed an install error.
12-6 Intelligent Installer
12-6 Reverted Reboot/Recovery Menu
12-6 Added Bloater, Rom Manager & 2xReboot
12-6 Fix (hopefully) for updating preloaded Flash.
12-6 New init.d scripts
- faster zipalign
- filesystem tweaks
- fix wled perms
12-1 Fixed 0% Shutdown Issue
12-1 Removed Shutdown Sound
11-28 Added Rom Manager Support
11-28 AOSP Camera installed by default. LG P990 Camera available in Addons.
11-28 Removed Flash Player from Base Build (bundling issues) - Install from Market
11-28 Bluetooth pairing should now work.
11-28 Fixes for Shutdown issues.
11-25 Browser Homepage now set to Blank.
11-25 Added locale support in Settings.APK for many locales.
11-25 Added Toggle2G Application (signed to match ROM)
11-25 Included Samsung Japanese IME.
11-25 Included Optimus 2x Cam - Has a couple of remaining KNOWN ISSUES (see post#2)
11-25 Swapped CarHome for CM7 CarHomeGoogle
11-25 Added Titanium Backup & Battery Calibration to default install.
11-25 Ringtones/Wallpapers restored to main ROM.
11-25 Fixed Haptic Feedback Issue
11-25 Fixed Display issue in Wifi Calling Settings
11-25 Fixed Market App Compatibility Issues
11-25 Changed Notification Pulldown Item Color
11-23 Wifi Calling Fixed (FOR REALZ)
11-23 quick panel ported from i9000 (dreamsforgotten)
11-23 Reboot/Recovery Menu (untermensch / sicopat)
11-23 Accurate Battery Mod
11-23 Removed LG Updater / Debug / what little bloat there was
11-23 Themed (status bar / ticker / CRT Off, ICS Animations, etc)
11-23 Startup/Shutdown anim/sound (looking for better anim, using a placeholder for now)
11-23 Roboto Font
11-23 Google Music (replaces stock Music.apk)
11-23 CM7 Torch & E-Mail
11-23 init.rc support
11-23 busybox / su / bash / nano / sysrw / sysro
11-23 Remove Battery Full & Battery Low Warnings
11-23 GPS Tweaks for USA.
11-23 Increased SD Read Ahead Cache to 3072
11-23 zipalign new apk's on bootup
11-23 Ported LG-L95G Leak
KNOWN ISSUES - BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN NO SURPRISES
Issues can be found here in Post #2.

DOWNLOAD
12-31 DOWNLOAD: Download Tsugi-2011-12-13-1400 (SmartInstaller)
No longer need separate wipe/no-wipe installer, as this one figures it all out on its own! If you need to wipe the Kernel, grab the G2X Scrubber in Post #4. (Themes and system addons may need to be reflashed)

NOTE!!! Any themes will need to be updated to 12-31 Compatibility or Settings will crash when using LG Keyboard!

UPDATES/ADDONS/MODS/KERNELS/THEMES
These all reside here in Post #4.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. BACK UP EVERYTHING JUST IN CASE!
2. Flash in CWM.
3. Enjoy.
4. Now, flash any addons (including updates, mods, apps, kernels) here in Post #4.

CREDITS:
CREDITS:
Exonix (original 2.3.4 system image)
JBoxer (lots of help back and forth)
RomanBB (Bloater)
WhiteHawkX (various posts)
lpy (Loopy Smoothness Tweak)
DarkyROM (Zipalign Script)
faux123 (providing great kernels)
topiggi (kernel boot time fix, omadmaclient removal)
dreamsforgotten (control panel porting)
nrvnqsrxk's (gps tweaks)
capez (ics anims)
nubecoder (edify script info)
Raziel23x (APK Multi Tool)
dsixda (dsixda Kitchen)
jesusfreke (smali tools)
teamwhiskey (Mod Version howto)
http://goo.gl/4QHBC (how to repack kernel)
http://goo.gl/pMxsP - (Smali Tutorials)
Sony (Bravia Engine - dunno who did it first)
LG (making Roms so bad I had to learn to hack Roms)
CM7 Team: Bits & Pieces
Thread Participants (Putting up with bugs!)
Donators!!! (Prompting me for the last TWO updates!)
Someone I Forgot (Something Important, msg me!)

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
FAQ / KNOWN ISSUES / TROUBLESHOOTING

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING THAT SOMETHING DOES NOT WORK AS EXPECTED!

I didn't want to put this at the top, but I guess I have to.

IF YOU ARE USING ONE OF THE ADDON OVERCLOCKING KERNELS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR PHONE MAY BECOME UNSTABLE, CRASH, REBOOT, OR TAKE OVER THE GALAXY AS OUR NEW ANDROID OVERLORD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- DOWNLOADER TRICKS--
1: I flashed this Rom and it won't boot/bootloops/loads but everything is messed up!
Make sure you actually downloaded the correct file. Only the CORE DOWNLOAD is a full Rom. You may not, cannot, and will regret, if you use an Updater on any other Rom. If you are still having trouble flashing, use the G2XScrubber Post #4 first. It will format your system, cache and data partitions pre-wipe to make sure there are no leftovers from an older Rom.

2: I flashed the Rom, and now my themes are gone!
By "No-Wipe" in this case, it *does* wipe the /system/ partition which is where your themes and boot animations are loaded. Your data partition, however, is safe. You will need to reinstall any themes or SYSTEM Add-Ons that you installed in CWM or with Root access.

-- BROKEN STUFF --
1: I get reboots when mounting/unmounting my SD Card.
This appears to be an issue in the underlying LG code which I have not found the cause for at this time. It does not affect all users, so it may have to do with individual SD Cards. If you are having this problem, try formatting both your internal and external SD Cards. I don't know if that will fix it, though, as I personally don't have the problem.

2: I get a SOD or Crash while using Bluetooth.
Again, it appears to be an underlying LG Issue. I've made a little progress, but still haven't solved the issue.

3: My phone randomly reboots.
Appears that there may still be some LG issues with that. My phone doesn't do it, but some do. If you're using the Under Volted kernel, then try the Stock Voltage one. Hope for a bug-free ICS release. See Broken Stuff #1 also. For best reliability, use the stock Kernel.

-- KNOWN ISSUES --
1: A popup says "radio was denied root permissions" when I boot my phone!!!!
Run the Toggle2G app. Approve root permissions. If you don't want the Toggle2G app, you can remove it using Bloater, which is pre-installed. You didn't uninstall Bloater, did you?

2: The Reboot and Recovery options are missing.
These 2 items have been temporarily removed from the Power Menu until I can further troubleshoot issues people were having getting the phone to actually, you know, shut off. For now, use the included 2XReboot app if you need to easily reboot into recovery. But really, with Rom Manager updates now, you shouldn't need to!

3: I got a force close from the Media process on first bootup!
This is due to a corrupt file or thumbnail on your memory card. It will only happen on the first bootup, but if it really bugs you you'll have to remove the corrupt file from your memory card. Most of the time it's a thumbnail. This bug also exists on stock LG Roms, it isn't a Tsugi issue.

4: I flashed Faux123 or DragonG2X or some other kernel and it doesn't work right! Y U NO MAKE IT WORK?
Actually... ..... download Oyasumi - the 2.3.4 overclocking Kernel from Post #4 - and you'll be all set. Oyasumi is essentially Faux123 1.3 recompiled and packed with init scripts for 2.3.4. So you should expect the same performance - and issues - of Faux123 v1.3. That said, I cannot and will not troubleshoot crash/freeze/reboot/SOD issues with any kernel other than the one that comes in the core ROM.

5: I don't want WiFi Calling.
Then delete /system/app/kineto.apk with root explorer. If you do you're going to get force closes immediately, but just pull battery and restart, and it will all be good. There is some debate over whether or not the libraries that support it use battery. I don't think they do, but Kineto.apk sure does. Soon you'll be able to remove it using the Bloater app.

6: My GPS is screwy. Again.
Lol, so is mine. But seriously, folks... This includes the best GPS fix I could find and it works for me and many others. It's still not where I'd say I'm "pleased" with it, but it has gotten me out of pinches. That said, it is tuned for the central USA. If you are in Europe or Uzbekistan or Atlantis, then you might need to redo your gps.conf with some local servers. That's something the factory normally does for you when it targets the market to sell a phone to.

7: I don't like the boot animation.
Instead of messaging me privately with your feelings about how the boot animation threatens your masculinity, learn to change it yourself. For those who don't feel threatened by it, it's actually a reference to a character named Kyuube from the anime Madoka Magica. And, once you get to know the character, he's the anti-cute.

---------------
What? Your issue isn't one of those above? Congratulations, you might have a reason to gripe/complain/compliment! Go for it!

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I was working on g2xtreme and I had the same haptic feedback problem... I also have a work around posted in the first post of the g2xtreme thread ... its a pain... but it makes haptic work... anyways check it out on xda and see if it helps

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Tsugi Addons & Packs

A collection of PACKS AND ADDONS for Tsugi 2.3.4. Some of these may work on other Roms, but they are specifically designed to work on the L95G 2.3.4 leak upon which Tsugi is based, and specifically on Tsugi itself.

G2X Scrubber
The G2X Scrubber is designed to format your system, data and cache partitions. It will also take them back to ext3 after having had them as ext4 partitions, so you can use an ext3 kernel. If you want to revert to the STOCK kernel on Tsugi after using Oyasumi, this is required. It is also useful to ensure a FULL WIPE with no traces of the old left behind. WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE YER PHONE. It won't be bootable after run this script, UNTIL you Flash a New Rom. Instructions: 1. Flash G2X Scrubber in CWM. 2. Flash ANY Rom of Your Choice.
Download: http://www.multiupload.com/Z4N25KMIUF

Stock Apps & Bloat
  • Stock (AOSP) Camera - Download - Restore fully functioning but less pretty camera.
  • P990 (LG) Camera Update - Download - Reverts FFC fixes to Fix Rear Cam Video. *sigh* Or just to restore P990 (LG) Camera after using Stock (AOSP) Camera.
  • Stock Music - Download - Restores Stock Android Music Player (with DTS)
  • Full Bloat - (LINK REMOVED: USE BLOATER TO INSTALL/REMOVE BLOAT)
Bonus Items
  • LG 2X Keyboard - Download - UNSTABLE - Will cause Language & Keyboard settings to force close. But people like it.
  • Dimmer Touch Buttons - Download - Adds a small script to turn down Touch Button brightness on bootup.
Kernels
Even though I provide these kernels matched to this ROM, I cannot and will not troubleshoot any freeze/crash/SOD issues due to these being known issues with the underlying kernel and I am not actually a kernel dev
That said, if you have issues running at any speed on the Undervolted Kernel, then use the Stock Voltage Kernel as it should prove more reliable.
  • Oyasumi 0.1 SV - Download - (Stock Voltage - Max 1408, Based on Faux123 1.3)
  • Oyasumi 0.1 UV - Download - (Undervolted - Max 1550, Based on Faux123 1.3)
Themes

Theme #1: COLD (Updated 12-31) - By Lotherius - Download -- Screenshots
This theme gives you a bright status bar, notification pulldown and popups. Shadows are chilled, and those warm oranges all over have been frozen to a cold blue. Even the normal black backgrounds in Android have taken on a slight chill. What you can't see in the screenshots is that nearly all of the framework & SystemUI effects have been recolored to have the blues. Not only the overscroll, but radio buttons, checkboxes, pressed item highlights, etc. (note: Wallpaper in the screenshots is available in the Wallpaper Gallery already). Download updated to V2 with fixes for bluetooth crashing and updater-script issue that may have prevented it actually working.

Theme #2: Colorized Androidian - By bmann_420 -- Download -- Screenshots in post.

Theme #3: Original Tsugi Theme -- Download -- The original theme from Tsugi 12-7 and older. Settings.apk still has color because I didn't feel like making a separate Settings file, and some fixes were made in the settings. But the rest of the theme is from the older Tsugi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey I've been having problems and was wondering if anyone could help. (None with this rom yet) great Tom BTW. But I was wondering if anybody could help me pull a couple system apks from whitehawkx minuit rom
Please remove this post I tried to edit but it created another

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey I've been having problems and was wondering if anyone could help. (None with this rom yet) great Tom BTW. But I was wondering if anybody could help me pull a couple system apks from whitehawkx miui rom to put on here. I want the file explorer and a couple other tools. But every time I open the rom>system>app>file explorer, in root explorer I can't get them to download manually. "App was not installed". I have 'unknown sources' checked and I don't know what else I can do. Unless I need to edit the file somehow. Somebody help me out please
thank you.
Great rom and kernel.

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey I've been having problems and was wondering if anyone could help. (None with this rom yet) great Tom BTW. But I was wondering if anybody could help me pull a couple system apks from whitehawkx miui rom to put on here. I want the file explorer and a couple other tools. But every time I open the rom>system>app>file explorer, in root explorer I can't get them to download manually. "App was not installed". I have 'unknown sources' checked and I don't know what else I can do. Unless I need to edit the file somehow. Somebody help me out please
thank you.
Great rom and kernel.
Most MIUI apps are pretty integrated into the MIUI framework and cannot be used on other Roms. File Explorer is one of those apps, so it won't be able to be run on any standard non-MIUI Rom.

Btw, I do have an update of this, just haven't posted it here yet. Still ironing out a couple of update issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lothinator said:
Most MIUI apps are pretty integrated into the MIUI framework and cannot be used on other Roms. File Explorer is one of those apps, so it won't be able to be run on any standard non-MIUI Rom.

Btw, I do have an update of this, just haven't posted it here yet. Still ironing out a couple of update issues.
Cool man I appreciate the response. The actual dev responded to me would you take a look at that. Ill be one of the first to try the update out. How do I donate? It wont be a lot but I don't want to use your rom without somehow showing my appreciation. And again thanks for the response.

Sidenote: I have to say that I will be using this site from now on instead of xda. Seems like over at xda they stare down their noses at you. Over here everybody is glad to help and I got and actual response from the dev. Just wanted to say that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@lothinator I have a odd problem. Its with the browser. For instance, if I go to craigslist and try to search an item on there, fill in the search box and click the search arrow, I get no response. Logging into places I get the same problem. Like house-mixes.com. if I fill in the login information and click "sign in", it just sits not doing anything. I try to close the browser out and restart it and it gives the same problem. Haven't yet figured out a workaround. And Honestly that's the only problem I've had with this rom. GPS lock is fine, wifi lock is fine.
I'd like to be able to help with anything you need if possible. I just got a new computer, provably not dev status but its definitely not a low-end PC. (Gateway nv53 2ghz 4gb of ram 500gb memory). So If you think of a way I can help let me know. I'm a noob but I'm interested in getting acquainted with development. Its interesting to me. So Just let me know.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
s88m88h said:
@lothinator I have a odd problem. Its with the browser. For instance, if I go to craigslist and try to search an item on there, fill in the search box and click the search arrow, I get no response. Logging into places I get the same problem. Like house-mixes.com. if I fill in the login information and click "sign in", it just sits not doing anything. I try to close the browser out and restart it and it gives the same problem. Haven't yet figured out a workaround. And Honestly that's the only problem I've had with this rom. GPS lock is fine, wifi lock is fine.
I'd like to be able to help with anything you need if possible. I just got a new computer, provably not dev status but its definitely not a low-end PC. (Gateway nv53 2ghz 4gb of ram 500gb memory). So If you think of a way I can help let me know. I'm a noob but I'm interested in getting acquainted with development. Its interesting to me. So Just let me know.
Thanks again
[EDIT] its the little bars that you click that don't work. Anytime a link is highlighted it works. (Google search results, download links etc) But its the bars (login bars, search bars, submit bars) that wont respond. Its almost like I'm clicking regular text. Even when I long-press the bars it highlights the text (tried to see if I could get the pop-up menu to come up so I could open it in a new page or copy page URL) but it wont recognize it as a link for some odd reason. Only reason I even say anything is because I thought you would like to know and. very solid rom though. Everything is fine with me.
Thanks again
[EDIT]Jesus I'm having such a hard time with this "edit" concept

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP / Known Issues / Addons - Updated with new version and lots of info.

@s88m88h: I'm not quite sure what is up with your browser... maybe I'm not looking at the right thing? Anyway, the Browser is stock as it comes from LG. Maybe it has to do with which keyboard you're using?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lothinator said:
OP / Known Issues / Addons - Updated with new version and lots of info.

@s88m88h: I'm not quite sure what is up with your browser... maybe I'm not looking at the right thing? Anyway, the Browser is stock as it comes from LG. Maybe it has to do with which keyboard you're using?
@lothinator Awesome I will try it tomorrow maybe that will take care of the link issue (one tiny insignificant problem for a nice tushy rom). Thanks a lot. Like I said man if you want to recruit a helper I got plenty of time and a new computer so let me know if you could use any help.

[EDIT] ^ TUSHY!!! LOL

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Update coming in a few moments for a very small issue with the updater. If you already downloaded 12-06 and are able to install it fine, then no need to download 12-07 when it is posted. Apparently the "Smart Updater" in 12-06 breaks if you've formatted /system yourself and there is no build.prop to check for compatibility. So it's just an installer fix on the 12-07 version.MINOR UPDATE

Updated to 12-07.

If you installed 12-06 without issue, then you do not need this update.

This update fixes the previously reported issue where the installer fails to install if you have no files in the /system partition (ie, you formatted it or used the scrubber).

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have 1 issue so far, i installed the rom but it won't let me get past the sign in screen? i cant push the android to continue the process. it also says something about radio permissions. any ideas??

*******EDIT******
**Fixed it. Had to use G2X Scrubber*

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do the OC Kernels have Voodoo Sound also or is it strictly just an OC kernel

Sent from my LG-P999 using RootzWiki
Same features as Faux 1.3 kernel (gb), as I simply made the necessary modifications to that source to get it to work on 2.3.4.

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP Updated new version and with full changes - be warned that if using a Theme, you'll need to use an updated version for 12-31 compatibility to avoid any issues when using LG Keyboard (changes are actually in Settings.apk). If using an older theme that hasn't been updated, use the Settings.apk from this release and you should be fine.

Barring any major issues, this may be the last update to Tsugi for a while. I'm actually using MIUI at the moment (my personal build here: http://altername.net/g2x/M2XbyLoth-12-30.zip - ported with extended settings), but I do believe this is a good version of Tsugi.

The G2X just has me frustrated. No matter where you turn there are "issues"... I still like the speed and reliability of 2.3.4 over 2.3.3, but there are a couple of features that have me on MIUI at the moment.

I do appreciate everyone's support and fully intend to remain active here in the community, but just not much more on either Rom.

·
Veteran of the G1 Era
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New version: altername.net/Tsugi-2012-1-4-1653.zip

BETA for the moment, once has had a little more testing I will add to OP.

Fixes issue preventing market purchases. MAY NEED TO WIPE BEFORE FLASHING FOR THIS FIX!

Also adds back Google Backup Transport.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the various themes, I am assuming I install them in the CM recovery, "install from zip." is that correct? And once installed, how would I go back to the original theme (Tsugi 12-31-2011 release) if I decide I want to go back? Sorry for the noob questions. By the way, Tsugi is by far the best rom out there! Very clean and fast! Great work!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.