Android OS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 3468 Posts

· Good at breaking things
711 Posts
not a bad idea. i've used bridged on my vm's for quite a few years as a standard practice. everything seems to work better that way (at least, in my experience it has).

quick "n00b" question: after syncing repo, where do i start making changes/tweaks to my liking? say i want to change up the systemui.apk, or framework, is there a place in the directory tree i can put my modified apk, then compile from there? or do people usually swap stuff out after compiling? same with build.prop edits, can those be done prior to compiling, or after?
Fellow n00b here, but I believe the "correct" way to implement those mods is to alter the various source and config files that control how the various apks and .prop files are built at compile time. I haven't found a good "so I compiled aokp from source, now what?" tutorial yet but I have done some poking around. I've started to study which files are modified in what way each time I cherry pick a commit, which has shown me a few places to look. So the best advice I can give a fellow n00b at this point is just to dig around a bit.

· Android Beginner
24 Posts
Fellow n00b here, but I believe the "correct" way to implement those mods is to alter the various source and config files that control how the various apks and .prop files are built at compile time. I haven't found a good "so I compiled aokp from source, now what?" tutorial yet but I have done some poking around. I've started to study which files are modified in what way each time I cherry pick a commit, which has shown me a few places to look. So the best advice I can give a fellow n00b at this point is just to dig around a bit.
That's what I've been doing. Pretty much the best way to learn things is by doing them, eh? Thanks for the advice! :)

· Registered
17 Posts
Size? If greater than 500GB, link? :)
It's a 128gb Samsung that was on sale. You're not going to see ssd's that large for that cheap for a long time. They were about $1 per gig for a while and just recently starting going lower, but spindle prices are still way off. Just get a 120gb or 240gb and use the drive as your OS drive, you'll enjoy the performance increases.

711 Posts
It's a 128gb Samsung that was on sale. You're not going to see ssd's that large for that cheap for a long time. They were about $1 per gig for a while and just recently starting going lower, but spindle prices are still way off. Just get a 120gb or 240gb and use the drive as your OS drive, you'll enjoy the performance increases.
I'd love to, but as I mentioned I only have a single drive bay and several OSes loaded on my laptop. I really can't get by with less than 500 GB. Oh well, I'll continue to wait.

BTW, I mentioned earlier that I've had pretty good results since enabling ccache. If anyone is curious, here's how I did it:
  1. Put the following in your .bashrc or equivalent ( .bashrc is a file in your user's home directory which is executed each time you start up a bash shell. It is used for setting environment variables, aliases, the format of your prompt, etc. Very handy file.)
    Code:
    export USE_CCACHE=1
    By default, the cache will be stored in ~/.ccache. The recommended size is 50-100GB, so if you need to put the ccache directory elsewhere you should also add the following to your .bashrc
    Code:
    export CCACHE_DIR=<path-to-your-cache-directory>
  2. Make sure those new variables get loaded into your shell with
    Code:
    source ~/.bashrc
  3. Initialize the ccache with the following command (executed from the top of your aokp_jb tree, ~/aokp_jb). Again, the recommended size is 50-100GB; that said, I'm using 30GB due to limited space available and it seems to work fine.
    Code:
    prebuilts/misc/linux-x86/ccache/ccache -M 50G
    This setting will be stored in your ccache directory and is persistent; you'll only have to set this up once.

Now go ahead and build something as usual. It may take a while, but subsequent rebuilds should be significantly quicker.

· Registered
386 Posts
I'm in no way building on a lightning fast machine but building seems to be taking a significantly longer time than it did on ICS. Is this normal or may there be some sort of an issue?

· Registered
386 Posts
I also noticed every time I sync the repo it syncs to my home folder rather than the AOKP JB folder that I made. I followed the steps in the OP to the am I missing something?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: DrDuncan

· Average Android
143 Posts
I also noticed every time I sync the repo it syncs to my home folder rather than the AOKP JB folder that I made. I followed the steps in the OP to the am I missing something?

Are you actually in your aokp_jb folder when you run the repo sync command? Does your prompt look like
Code:
<br />
~/aokp_jb $<br />

711 Posts
Yes

Did you confirm that you were in your ~/aokp_jb directory when you executed
Code:
repo init -u [URL=git://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git]git://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git[/URL] -b jb
?

· Registered
386 Posts
Did you confirm that you were in your ~/aokp_jb directory when you executed
Code:
repo init -u [URL=git://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git]git://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git[/URL] -b jb
?
Yes I performed the cd aokp_jb prior to initializing the repo sync. What was weird is it said repo initialized in my home directory still. So that's probably the issue but I'm not sure why since I was in the correct directory.

· Android Beginner
91 Posts
Yes I performed the cd aokp_jb prior to initializing the repo sync. What was weird is it said repo initialized in my home directory still. So that's probably the issue but I'm not sure why since I was in the correct directory.

Show hidden files and move the .repo folder into the folder you want it to sync to and then run repo sync again.

711 Posts
Thanks, got an error on the make clean too. Am going to do a full repo sync.
I managed to royally bork my stuff this morning too. I'm using the Helpdesk Excuse Generator app when my users come to me complaining that the Internet is slow while I resync!

121 - 140 of 3468 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.