Android OS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I v0id warran7ies
94 Posts
DISCLAIMER
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE AND THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND ALSO WIPE ALL YOUR DATA TO FACTORY SETTINGS.

CREDITS
TO ALL THE VARIOUS WEBSITES WHERE I READ ALL THE INFORMATION MENTIONED BELOW. NONE OF THE BELOW IS MY WORK AND I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR IT.

HATS OFF
To all the developers who made this possible. superboot is work of Paul from Modaco, clockworkmod is work of Koush.

Step - 001
Install Android SDK from here.

Step - 002
Connect your phone to the PC using the data cable provided. If the drivers are installed successfully well and good, else download the one's from here and point windows to the folder where you extract the above drivers.

Step - 003
Open
Code:
settings - about
Step - 004
Download Superboot from here depending on the build number noted above.Extract the archive to a folder.

Step - 005
Turn off the phone, boot into bootloader mode [press track ball and after that press the power button]
The phone will go into download mode. Connect USB Cable.
Navigate to the folder of superboot above using Windows command prompt.

Issue the following command
Code:
Code:
fastboot-windows devices
If this line does not return anything, do not continue: Your computer does not detect your Nexus.

Unlocking the Bootloader(this will void the warranty and also do a factory reset)

Code:
Code:
fastboot-windows oem unlock
The phone will display a warning, use the volume up down button to toggle between yes and no, we need to select yes, once yes is selected press the power button to confirm your decision.

The phone will reboot.

if you get the following error
FAILED <command write failed <Too many links>> error

ignore it and try giving the oem unlock command again and it should say bootloader already unlocked. Do not proceed until your bootloader has been unlocked.

Rooting
Boot the phone into bootloader mode. naviagte to the "superboot" folder in windows explorer. Double click the file "install-superboot-windows.bat" and viola you are rooted.

Installing recovery (I used clockworkmod, you can also use AmonRA)
Download the latest CWM from here, download the .img file and once downloaded check the md5 with the one on the link above. (passion is the name for Nexus One).

Put the above downloaded .img file in the 'superboot' folder and rename it to a simple name say "cwm.zip" (without the quotes)
Boot the phone into bootloader mode again.
Navigate to the superboot folder from Windows command prompt.
Issue the following command

Code:
Code:
fastboot-windows flash recovery cwm.img
You are now rooted and have installed ClockworkMod recovery.

I would advice you to flash a new custom ROM right away, do not boot into the stock ROM as it would end up breaking CWM. In case you want to be on stock ROM and still have recovery you need to do the following.

Boot into the stock ROM.
Connect USB.
Navigate to the superboot folder.
Give the following commands.

Code:
Code:
adb-windows shell <br />
su <br />
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system <br />
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh <br />
rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p <br />
reboot recovery
Now flash CWM again as described in the step above.

How to boot into CWM when phone is switched off.
press the volume power down button and while it is pressed press the power button.

The phone will boot into a white screen, wait for some time (7-8) seconds, some checks will take place, once those checks are complete use the volume buttons to go to recovery option and use the power button to select and you are into ClockworkMod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts