Android OS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!

I recently purchased an ASUS UX31 Zenbook. It's an awesome laptop. However I use Linux. I would reduce this new machine into nothing but a tty before I use windows on it again.

That being said, the Linux experience is somewhat lacking on this computer. The number one issue for me is that the touchpad is not recognized as a touchpad but a mouse. Horizontal and vertical scrolling do not work. They do work in Windows. I would like to help fix this. I have asked for help on the Ubuntu forums (I am currently using Ubuntu). I have asked for help on various Linux forums and I even attempted contact with @ASUS on Twitter (no response).

I have researched this extensively. The touchpad is made by Sentelic. It appears that some functionality was removed from the Linux driver due to copyright concerns. Unless it's a dozen pages into the search results Google doesn't have an answer for this one.

So I know there are some developers out there in Rootzwiki that can help. Yes we love shiny new unsupported devices and we make them work. I am willing to send logs a dmesgs and anything else someone might need make this thing work.

Lastly, I'm not using Rootzwiki as a "last-ditch effort". I'm kind of like an award winning mathematician bringing Matt Damon to talk with Robin Williams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on buying a Zenbook soon too and putting Linux (Ubuntu) on it. I'm glad I found your thread because I've been wondering about how well Ubuntu would be supported on this hardware. Sounds like if the only significant problem with it is that you don't get vertical/horizontal scrolling, it's pretty solid?

I'm interested in helping you out, but I'm just a web dev, so I'm not sure how effective I would be. Could you link to your other posts on Ubuntu forums (and elsewhere) so I can stay in the loop?

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you using? I was planning on using 10.10, because 11.x is way too painful for a developer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I have one. I put ubuntu 11.10 on it and linux performance is disappointing.

The sentellic mousepad isn't the only problem. Actually I've gotten over that issue by installing pentadactyl on it. This has made me cut down my mouse use by about 90% when I'm using firefox.

There are other serious problems. One problem is the power management. One battery it runs full blast and the battery dies in about an hour.

Another problem is sleep. If you close the top, forget it, it doesn't wake up again.

I've tried just about everything I can find online, but to no avail.
I'm really sad, because I don't want to boot into windows, but I have to when I'e out and about. Can only use linux when I'm plugged in.
I love this machine. It's beautiful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I have one. I put ubuntu 11.10 on it and linux performance is disappointing.

The sentellic mousepad isn't the only problem. Actually I've gotten over that issue by installing pentadactyl on it. This has made me cut down my mouse use by about 90% when I'm using firefox.

There are other serious problems. One problem is the power management. One battery it runs full blast and the battery dies in about an hour.

Another problem is sleep. If you close the top, forget it, it doesn't wake up again.

I've tried just about everything I can find online, but to no avail.
I'm really sad, because I don't want to boot into windows, but I have to when I'e out and about. Can only use linux when I'm plugged in.
I love this machine. It's beautiful.
Ok, there have been some posts on the ubuntu forum. Everything is pretty much solved except for the touchpad problems.

Turns out there are two versions of the zenbook with identical model numbers. One version has the patent emcumbered problematic sentellic touchpad, the other has an elan tech touchpad that works perfectly well under ubuntu including multi-touch.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP!

I have updated my ubuntu to the latest version and updated latest patches yesterday as the system prompted. Post the update I restarted the laptop, selected the ubuntu grub entry, the system blanked out near the time it loads the desktop. I had to force shut down and tried to power up again and now it no longer loads the ASUS flash screen or get to the Grub - the screen is blank and there is no response.

My laptop is UX31 Asus ultrabook and had Precise Pangolion updated to the latest patch has a dual boot to win 7.

I have not let my laptop in suspend or hibernate mode ever due to the issues highlighted on the ubuntu site - the problem occured on a normal boot

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP!

I have updated my ubuntu to the latest version and updated latest patches yesterday as the system prompted. Post the update I restarted the laptop, selected the ubuntu grub entry, the system blanked out near the time it loads the desktop. I had to force shut down and tried to power up again and now it no longer loads the ASUS flash screen or get to the Grub - the screen is blank and there is no response.

My laptop is UX31 Asus ultrabook and had Precise Pangolion updated to the latest patch has a dual boot to win 7.

I have not let my laptop in suspend or hibernate mode ever due to the issues highlighted on the ubuntu site - the problem occured on a normal boot

Any help will be appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.