Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make my first Ubuntu image for the D2G (Should work for d2) later today, when/if all goes well I will post it here.

Note: This will NOT install directly over your android install, this basically makes the phone to use your kernel with loop back fs essentially for ubuntu. So you can run a script and boot ubuntu inside your terminal in android.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First I gotta find my Ubuntu live boot disc lol... it's around here somewhere. I'm out of DVD's. Won't be too hard to make really... It's more of a matter of if moto let's us run loop back fs's on our kernel.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
aceoyame said:
It's more of a matter of if moto let's us run loop back fs's on our kernel.
Rev's had gentoo on his d2 so I cant see why it wouldnt..... Think that was with the froyo kernel but still...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is gonna be released tomorrow. My disc is apparently gone lol.... I will go to the store tomorrow and reburn ubuntu. But at least we know from 13th it will work (I doubt moto would have removed that considering they just patched froyo's kernel from the looks of it)

·
Android Apprentice
53 Posts
We can just use the n1 image from that blog. What we REALLY need is dual-booting like the galaxy tab, I hated all that vnc bs on my og droid.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pushing this to the backburner for a bit. GSM with our D2G is really frustrating me since most of my MIUI users are over seas and they will need it so I am trying to get that working properly again.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
swirly said:
When is this coming :p ??
Probably next week. I'm giving up on 1%, I got what I could get for the developers who know more and the disassemblers. The rest is out of my league lol.

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
Cool project! Cant wait to see another custom setup. In the mean time if any body wants to use a different image from the internet, these phones require different setup than the nexus one script you find all over the place.

The main problem: loop devices are found in /dev/block instead of /dev

I dont really have time right now to put together some links and scripts but to get started...

1.) Go find an image to use ,download and extract it(as root) to your second partition. There are a few Ubuntu ones that I've seen. Personally I'm using an arch linux rootfs(the one labeled oxnas as opposed to omap. cant figure out why the omap one doesnt work, but hey.) found at www.archlinuxarm.org/os/ but we'll get to that in a minute. For the sake of writing this down we'll call it linux.img

I havent been able to get this to work as a .img on the sdcard and the only way I've found is to partition the sdcard. I know quite a few people are adverse to that idea but I haven't fount a way around it yet. If you do, just make sure back up everything on your sd first as everything will be lost when you partition and make it fat32 with no label, and the second one(for linux) is ext2 or ext3( 2 gigs should be plenty).

The rest is an the terminal:

2.) mkdir /data/linux
3.) mknod /dev/block/loop8 b 7 8
4.) losetup /dev/block/loop8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
5.) mount -t ext3 -o loop /dev/block/loop8 /data/linux <--- if that doesnt work try ext2 instead of ext3
6.) cd /data/linux
7.) mount -o bind /dev/ /data/linux/dev
8.) chroot . /bin/bash

now you're running linux. go ahead and mount proc and sysfs
9.) mount -t proc proc /proc
10.) mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

That should do it. Now you can setup VNC and play around with it.

For arch linux a couple more steps are required. Mount the partition as above with no .img extracted to it.(up to step 6)

Then you need to download the rootfs onto the partition.
1.) wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-oxnas-latest.tar.gz
2.) tar -xzvf ArchLinuxArm-oxnas-latest.tar.gz
3.) rm ArchLinuxArm-oxnas-latest.tar.gz
Now you can follow steps 7-10 but type 'source /etc/profile' in between steps 8 and 9.
So now you have arch linux on your phone. Type 'pacman -Syu' to upgrade everything

*NOTE* I didnt really figure any of this out. I just pieced it together from various sources online so a big thanks goes to archlinuxarm.org where most of the commands came from. And a big thanks to c1phers blog about getting gentoo to run on a droidx for being the only place online to explain about where the loopfs' can be found on these motorolas.

That's about it. Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread but since you said yu were putting your project on the backburner so i thought i'd get the info out since there seems to be some confusion out there about how to do this with our droids.

On that note, again cant wait to see your custom mobile version whenever you get time to put it out.

·
Android Apprentice
29 Posts
Trying to install archlinux with dbrowns steps...
When I try to run "mke2fs -f alarm.img" it just tells me "invalid fragment size - alarm.img".
Any suggestions?

·
Android Apprentice
29 Posts
When I use a capital I get the following error:
mke2fs 1.41.10 (10-Feb-2009)
mke2fs: No such file or directory while trying to determine filesystem size

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
oh sorry bro, i kinda copied and pasted some of the commands and forgot to change alarm.img to linux.img for the purposes of the writeup. and also make sure you have at least 750mb free on the sd

·
Android Apprentice
29 Posts
Alrighty thanks for that. Now all of the commands run flawlessly until step 5. When I try with ext3 I get an "invalid argument error", and when I try ext2, I get a "No such device" error.

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
Damn. Yeah i'm running into the same error...
I've got it working on a separate partition but it looks like its not recognizing an img on the sdcard as its own device.
I've gotta get up to go to work in a couple hours but I'll definately try to figure out a work-around tomorrow. Maybe this was one of the issues aceoyame ran into.
I guess ill have to flex my meager(if any...) amature dev muscule on this one.
:tongue3:
Anyways I'll keep you posted...

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
Are you guys trying to mount these img files as loopback devices? If not, do try ;)

P.s. I'm not familiar with this install.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is as a loopback device, I havent had too much time to put into this. especially with my computer down for a bit and now developing on a turd of a computer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts