Android OS Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Average Android
289 Posts
other than the geek-factor, what use is there putting ubuntu on the d2g? Maybe this has an obvious answer, but I don't see what functionality it will add...

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
Well for me, I love having gcc and every intepreter out there so I can write and test code while away from home, which is most of the time. That pretty much all I use it for.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Realized I never brought this over from XDA, but I actually had a whole setup that allows choosing between loop and ext2 modes, with a special mode just for the Droid 2.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1221850

Might provide some help in how to get everything up and running and work as an alternative.

Blunderbuss said:
other than the geek-factor, what use is there putting ubuntu on the d2g? Maybe this has an obvious answer, but I don't see what functionality it will add...
I use mine to do script beautifier, batch upload to dropbox, and run a lot of stuff just not available for Android yet. I even use Eclipse to fix apps when I can't get back to the computer and I need something ASAP.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I will have to look at that, this has been dead for awhile and if anyone wants to take over they can... I've been too busy with Life,MIUI and that MS2 rom (which is being a major pita)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
aceoyame said:
I will have to look at that, this has been dead for awhile and if anyone wants to take over they can... I've been too busy with Life,MIUI and that MS2 rom (which is being a major pita)
Well the link isn't a work in progress, it is a complete working project with all necessary components and additional instructions on how to customize or alter it. It was released as a stable, completed project a few months ago.

Edit: everything was documented, and you wouldn't have to fix what was already done before being able to change it. It is very generalized, though, so a device-specific install is usually a better option.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well you beat me to it then lol. I will update OP and give you credit then
I just meant if you want to use it as a base it is there. the Droid 2 support is included, but not a focus. It would at least give you all the images, and a general layout for the run script and the install. The method used for the Droid 2 uses the internal "card" as a fake ext2 to prevent issues with loop devices and kernel compatibility. By stable, I meant that nothing needed to be updated for it to run in its current state. I didn't intend to prevent you from making one, just point out a lot of info and references are there to save a lot of work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Can't try this till mid next week but I just wanted to say thanks for all the effort y'all have put forth.

I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, i just created a new account on this site to ask about this thread, always have been impressed with the work you devs have done...

Anyways im very confused as how this works. I noticed that there is a link going to xda about unbuntu on android but are those the instructions i need to follow? Thanks for the help even though this is a developer thread

·
Android Apprentice
160 Posts
I am going to make my first Ubuntu image for the D2G (Should work for d2) later today, when/if all goes well I will post it here.

Note: This will NOT install directly over your android install, this basically makes the phone to use your kernel with loop back fs essentially for ubuntu. So you can run a script and boot ubuntu inside your terminal in android.
so I can use backtrack/aircrack on it?

Sent from D2G Rocked by ApeX RC4 using TapaTaLk

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
juv3 said:
so I can use backtrack/aircrack on it?

Sent from D2G Rocked by ApeX RC4 using TapaTaLk
If backtrack has an arm port. Aircrack can if the card supports monitor (?) Mode.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts