Android OS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have crated a working and booting version of the Ubuntu Phone OS for toro. It is basically a modded version of SlimBean ROM which you first install on the phone. You then flash a nodded version of Quantal, which does not wipe the phone. You then have a working Ubuntu phone, and it should be possible to sy link back into Android, I just have not figured out how to. I will post instructions and info later.

Stay tuned.

EDIT (with instructions):

This is the latest, with everything over on XDA just being for working out issues.

This is Ubuntu running on the Galaxy Nexus. It is a working port of the touch preview, which is flashed above a modded SlimBean ROM version. In doing so, Ubuntu and Android files are right next to one another, which could enable a simultaneous dual boot, with Android in one window and Ubuntu in Another. This is still a long way off though. For now, it is just Ubuntu showing, or Android should you decide not to install the Quantal-UI file.
So, let us get started: (note that screenshots may be a while in coming, as I do not know how to make screen shots in the Ubuntu Software, and it takes a long time to install the software.

Note: The usual-I take no responsibility for anything you do to your phone when installing or using this mod. Period. End of Story!

Instructions:
· Back up everything!!!!!
· Boot into Recovery
· Factory Wipe/Reset/Data Wipe
· Wipe /System in Advanced. Be careful, you can accidently wipe your sdcard, which screws up everything.
· Wipe Cache as extra precaution
· Flash the AndrevrootUbuntu-A1Rev3.2.4 file (soon to be RC1).
· If that's as far as you want to go right now, until later versions have better stability and more review, that's fine, you can now boot into the almost stock SlimBean OS (Renamed of course). Just be sure to not update to a new version of SlimBean, as you will lose the Ubuntu Config files that are necessary to boot up the Quantal file.
· Installation of Quantal-UI:
o No need to do a factory reset or wipe anything.​
o Continue from the last flashing step.​
o Make sure your battery is FULLY charged. If it is not, shutdown the phone (no restart please), and let it charge to full.​
o Go back into Recovery, find the other zip file you downloaded.​
o Flash it. This will take a very looooooooooooooong time. Hence, a fully charged battery prior makes a lot of sense and avoids bootloop/brick.​
o Once that is done, shutdown the phone and again let charge to full.​
o You can now boot up into Ubuntu Touch with Android still on the phone file system and without completely wiping the phone (you may accidentally wipe the phone squeaky clean if you are not careful).​
Other notes:
· Booting back into Android is troublesome, as there is no great way to symlink back into the Android Subsystem. This is why the ROM is in Dev/Alpha release.
· Work still needs to be done, but time is short, so updates may be a week in between.
· I welcome polite suggestions of changes. If you want to submit a change to the thread, just post a download link (Androidfilehost work extremely well, hint hint) and the changes will be added as edits into the OP, with thanks to contributors of course
Above all, have fun. If you like this, see my Website: https://sites.google...site/andrevroot Here, you can find periodic updates (though the website is new and unfinished as well. Also, I would appreciate donations through bitcoin to help make my work at least somewhat rewarded. The address is on the main page of the site).

Thank You in advance for your patience and have a great rest of your day!
AndrevrootUbuntu-A1Rev3.2.4: http://www.androidfi...334956548390937
Quantal: http://www.androidfi...334956548390922

·
Android Beginner
430 Posts
that seems like an odd way to install it to me, running one ROM and flashing a new OS on top in a way. Are you able to get working cell and data this way? What are the advantages of doing this instead of simply flashing the normal Ubuntu-Toro.zip + Quantal.zip?

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
that seems like an odd way to install it to me, running one ROM and flashing a new OS on top in a way. Are you able to get working cell and data this way? What are the advantages of doing this instead of simply flashing the normal Ubuntu-Toro.zip + Quantal.zip?
If you follow the OP's thread on XDA you'll see this is basically nothing more than an idea and nothing working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To what akellar stated, While it may seem like that, If you read the bottom posts of page 3, someone did get the software to work, booting into Ubuntu.

The goals were to make a workable port-if only *****ALPHA***** build that can run on Toro. If you READ the page I send you to, there is a piece that confirms the ROM will eventually boot. I struggled with folder issues, but it appears that now AndrevrootUbuntu-A1Rev3.2.4 actually can work. It just takes a loooooooooong time to flash.

I will edit with the particulars in a minute.

·
Kernel Hacker
2,456 Posts
Toro boots minus calls and data just with a simple edit to the updater-script. To get calls and sms working on toro it should just require the verizon specific binary libaries and other Verizon specific files. I think I see what AndrevRoot is trying to do. He's trying to take a full android install and modify it to boot ubuntu so that the data and phone calls will work. Am I right on that?

The thing is is that Ubuntu phone is already a slimmed down Android with Ubuntu files (not quite but a lot of the base, low level files are from Android). To me the logical thing would be pull the files from Android to port the maguro specific components over to Ubuntu. Also, since data is not working on maguro as of yet, it's possible the OS itself doesn't support mobile data.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Toro boots minus calls and data just with a simple edit to the updater-script. To get calls and sms working on toro it should just require the verizon specific binary libaries and other Verizon specific files. I think I see what AndrevRoot is trying to do. He's trying to take a full android install and modify it to boot ubuntu so that the data and phone calls will work. Am I right on that?

The thing is is that Ubuntu phone is already a slimmed down Android with Ubuntu files (not quite but a lot of the base, low level files are from Android). To me the logical thing would be pull the files from Android to port the maguro specific components over to Ubuntu. Also, since data is not working on maguro as of yet, it's possible the OS itself doesn't support mobile data.
You are right about what I am trying to do. Kind of weird right! However, I understand that it probably will not have Data right off the bat, but with the file-system as I put it out, it may be possible due to the way the structure is to have Data ported from within in a much easier way. Explanation: Due to full Android OS beneath, upon boot, I am hoping Android boots up first, initializes in background as Ubuntu starts itself.

As I said above, someone already got it to boot, which is a small feat in and of itself to get the Touch preview onto Toro. Well, now it is up to the people on this thread to help me finish what I was able to start, and get them working simultaneously in the same instance. Before this, we need to get an easy way to go back and forth between Android and Ubuntu. Oh well, so much to do, so little time.

As to your other comment, I am trying to pull the files, but keep having issues doing so, hence, life gets even more difficult, having to fix issues with this ROM and build another one.

·
Average Android
206 Posts
This guy is a quack. Can we get this thread closed as its just confusing to those of us looking for the ubuntu touch port. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.