Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Android Lover
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Verizon's guidelines are a bit nebulous as to who actually gets throttled. Does anyone have concrete experience with being throttled? And can illuminate the "rules" as per experience. I average more than 5 gigs per month. Anyone else?

·
troll
152 Posts
I average 5-7 a month and have not been throttled that I know of while on a custom rom (which I believe has the components tired to throttling removed) However, about a week ago I went back to stock for a few days and noticed much slower speeds on the same modem. I have read and been told many times that 5gig seems to be the magic number but I can't say for sure. This is just my experience

·
Android Apprentice
113 Posts
Jesus.. I know some people have been "grandfathered" in with the unlimited.. but how does that work when you have to re-up? don't they only offer the pay per use now on new contracts?
I could have gotten unlimited when I had my blackberry, but now that i'm on my fassy the only option I had was 2/5/10gb and so on.. but I don't tether or anything.. It's pretty hard for me to use 2GB a month..

·
Android Beginner
12 Posts
I use between 5gb-7gb a month. I got my Droid Charge just a week before they cancelled unlimited data plans so I could be grandfathered in. I can see using 10gb even 15-20gb but any more than that a month and I have too much time on my hands. Cool though to see people using so much data and no signs of throttling. Hoping in 2 years there will be some revelation amongst mobile carriers and data plans will make sense again.

·
I am the Stig
223 Posts
Jesus.. I know some people have been "grandfathered" in with the unlimited.. but how does that work when you have to re-up? don't they only offer the pay per use now on new contracts?
I could have gotten unlimited when I had my blackberry, but now that i'm on my fassy the only option I had was 2/5/10gb and so on.. but I don't tether or anything.. It's pretty hard for me to use 2GB a month..
Users who are currently grandfathered with remain grandfathered to unlimited unless they remove it from their plan for any reason (like going to a "dumbphone" then back to a smartphone) or cancelling their plan. It will remain unlimited even after a contract renewal.

·
The Shadow within Android
562 Posts
I use probably from maybe a gig per month to at most 5 GB. I also have unlimited data, and I haven't seen much throttling from what I've noticed. I don't do much streaming, maybe occasional YouTube or something, or AudioGalaxy for music (not sure if that uses data actually, probably does). Other than that, I don't use my DX for much.

·
Android Beginner
87 Posts
5-10gb a month for me, I don't feel like I'm a heavy user. It's just difficult to not use that much data on 4g. The speeds encourage you to use your phone as you want to...the downside is that the battery doesn't encourage you :-( Can't wait to kick this TBolt to the curb.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts