Android OS Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got grandfathered in. Got the Thunderbolt a couple days after it's release. Only use 2-4GB per month. I was in Tampa, FL for a bit with LTE and I got over 10GB. 3G has too high of a chance for errors when downloading for me. Hoping to get the Nexus and keeping my grandpa status.

Does anyone know what happens when your contract expires? Can you pay month-to-month without commitment and still keep unlimited?
No, you stay grandfathered until you cancel your data plan and get it again, or the very rare chance Verizon just hates you.

·
Dirtbag and a jerk!
262 Posts
Well if I have been throttled yet, don't think you guys will :)

That's 69.24013 gigs for August and 83.47177 gigs for September

View attachment 3551
God you both are fudgeing dicks... You need to stop tethering so much. You're the reason that the phone companies are doing shit like this... just buy real internet.

·
I am the Stig
223 Posts
God you both are fudgeing dicks... You need to stop tethering so much. You're the reason that the phone companies are doing shit like this... just buy real internet.
Actually before unlimited went away I always stayed under 10GBs. No where in my post does it say that I use it for tethering. Truth be told, I do a fair amount of travel and I have downloaded movies in the airport terminals etc.

On a side note, if you want to flame, take it back to XDA. Doesn't fly here.

·
Android Beginner
779 Posts
Verizon does "network optimization"
u will only be throttled when on a crowded tower if u are in top 5% of users.

and the "throttling" will only happen for the amount of time the tower use is congested.

most people wont even notice the "throttling" because of this.

and by the way...Verizon considers over 2gb of data/month to be the top 5%((as of this post) ) anyone else think that's a bit off? hmm..
they explain this on their site somewhere ...maybe in the FAQ's....

I have definitely noticed a drop in speeds for certain times of the day when im at my house. I believe its because the tower im connected to is crowded (near a city) and so I am a victim of "network optimization" at those times.
I use anywhere from 4-12gb a month depending on movies out and such...

·
Registered
92 Posts
You pretty much will keep the unlimited data even with contract renawals as long as you keep a smartphone on that line. I've been through 4 different phones, and 1 had a new contract and I kept the unlimited data to his very day 8).

·
Member Title
112 Posts
I'm thinking of getting my next phone(using my current line) thru amazon wireless. Has anybody done this and was able to keep their grandfathered unlimited data plan?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm thinking of getting my next phone(using my current line) thru amazon wireless. Has anybody done this and was able to keep their grandfathered unlimited data plan?
I upgrade the 2nd device on my plan through wirefly. I've been grandfathered in and was a little worried that would some how screw it up on my plan. I actually had the upgrade for my primary line, bought a new phone with the upgrade, activated the new phone on my primary line, then switched the new phone to my 2nd line, and re-activated my old phone on the primary line. Through all of that, I still have unlimited, so I think you would be fine going through amazon.

If I remember correctly, I had an option to use current plan when I upgraded through wirefly.

·
ROM Hacker
228 Posts
I average 35-100GB/mo and can say that I don't notice throttling from that, I notice it due to time of day (aka network traffic used by others). I run custom AOSP ROMs on all my phones, so I can't say how they throttle.

·
Androidlicious!
51 Posts
I am on unlimited plan. I called about this throttling rumor. Verizon does not and never has throttled. If you have unlimited it is unlimited....

I fly a lot and all I do is stream and download HD movies. I use over 100 GB a month and they have never throttled me.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts