Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Bionic owners,

There's a chance we can unlock the bootloader on this device with a simple method that led to the unlocked bootloader on the international Motorola Atrix and Sprint Motorola Photon 4G. Not sure if anyone's started the effort here. So, if you'd like to help the unlock process, follow the "Project Cheesecake" instructions below, or contribute in another way.

Ways to uncover unlockable bootloader:
  1. Motorola, Verizon SBF files for Motorola Droid Bionic
  2. Project Cheesecake - finding update versions on Motorola servers

1. SBF files
If you or someone you know can provide SBF files that are tailored by Motorola for the Droid Bionic, you can help! Post them on RootzWiki or another source to help the effort. If you wish to remain anonymous or keep the SBF file unreleased, shoot me an email ([email protected]). Your file can be checked for an unlocked bootloader without compromising anonymity or file release.

2. Cheesecake
This project involves scanning Motorola's update servers for potentially helpful build files. You'll need to carefully follow the directions below to obtain files and then send those files to be checked out further. You can send me a PM or email ([email protected]).Alternatively, post the files on RootzWiki or another source and I will check them.

Instructions:
List of servers:
Code:
master-lab.blurdev.com <br />
master-demo.blurdev.com <br />
master-dev.blurdev.com <br />
master-qa1.blurdev.com <br />
master-qa2.blurdev.com <br />
master-qa3.blurdev.com <br />
master-qa4.blurdev.com <br />
master-staging1.blurdev.com <br />
master-sdc1.svcmot.com <br />
master-blur.svcmot.com <br />
master-homer.blurdev.com <br />
master-bart.blurdev.com <br />
master-lisa.blurdev.com <br />
master-maggie.blurdev.com <br />
master-marge.blurdev.com <br />
master-bqa1.blurdev.com <br />
master-bqa2.blurdev.com <br />
testcloud01-sdc1.blurdev.com
  1. Root the device
  2. Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.service.blur/ in a root file explorer [ie. Root Explorer]
  3. Edit data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso. Replace "data_wifi_only_feat_avail=1" with "data_wifi_only_feat_avail=0"
  4. Edit defaults.xml. Replace the entire file contents with:
    Code:
    <map><string name='blur.service.ws.useApnProxy'>0</string><string name='blur.service.ws.masterCloud'>master-lab.blurdev.com</string></map>
  5. Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup in a root file explorer
  6. Edit defaults.xml. Replace the entire file contents with:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><br />
    <map><br />
    <boolean name='AllowActiveSync' value='true'/><br />
    <boolean name='ShowSkipSetupMenu' value='true'/><br />
    <boolean name='ShowConnectionChooser' value='true'/><br />
    <boolean name='ShowDataSaverInSetup' value='true'/><br />
    <boolean name='WifiPreference' value='true'/><br />
    <boolean name='loc_consent_unchecked' value='false'/><br />
    <boolean name='CloudPreference' value='true'/></map><br />
  7. Wipe data and cache
  8. Navigate to Settings > About Phone > System Updates
  9. If it says "Update Available," let the update download. Do not install the update, because it could potentially brick your device.
  10. Pull the update.zip file from /cache [Root Explorer or ADB] and upload/post the file for developer interest
  11. Continue to test the next server. Navigate to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.service.blur
  12. Mount the folder as read/write
  13. Edit defaults.xml. Remove "master-lab.blurdev.com" and put in the URL for the next server.
  14. Repeat the steps from "Wipe data and cache" every time.
Credits
- eval- for his initial discovery on the Atrix 4G
- Navalynt for scanning servers
- SamCripp, the2dcour - working on "Project Cheesecake" and "Pudding" unlock projects

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
I'll have mine one week from today. Bookmarking this thread as I will be back to assist in any way possible.

·
Electronics Junkie
31 Posts
Are the folder locations a direct copy from the atrix? I poked around in the /etc/motorola/ folder and didnt find /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup folder nor data_wifi_only_settings.mkitso.

Edit: Images added

View attachment 2215

Attachments

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
Got mine yesterday, I'll be jumping in this as soon as I can.

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
"ombracol said:
Oh I would donate a significant amount for HTC sense 3.0 on Bionic...Is it even possible?
Yes but its difficult alot of issues and most devs want open source not a different skin.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using RootzWiki Forums

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
Under /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.services.blur, when I ls, there is nothing but defaults.xml. Unless OP can clarify, I'm going to hold off on doing this because I don't want to chance anything, especially with no SBF or means of restoring bricks out in the public yet.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
I'm on it. Welcome back to moto. And monitor eyes. Rabble rabble rabble. Who wants to start a pool? I got a weeks time at most

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
so I'm interested in helping perform Project Cheesecake, but I'll need some updated directions:

/system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.setup doesn't exist. In /system/etc/motorola:

tcmd
12m
/com.motorola.blur.home, which contains a default.xml
/com.motorola.blur.conversations, which contains a default.xml
/com.motorola.blur.services.blur, which contains a default.xml
/com.motorola.android.dm.service, which contains /databases, which contains dmAccounts.xml

therefore, I can't do step 3, 5, or 6. My guess is because this is a newer version of Blur than the Atrix has, so the file structure is different. Anyone have more correct directions? The defaults.xml files that I read through didn't seem even remotely familiar to the ones in the directions so I don't want to mess with them.

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
I believe I see the file in /data/data I used total commander and I believe I saw the file your looking for. Its under com.Motorola..........

·
Android Apprentice
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the file structure is different. I've been told that you should just create the folders and files if they don't exist. One Droid X user got it working that way. Try that and report back, if you can!

·
Android Lover
455 Posts
Look in /data/data before making them im pretty sure it's there.

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
I noticed that in there, but the structure of the files is different so I don't want to mess around too much until we have an SBF file just in case. I'll be doing some more testing with that list of servers later.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts