Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tyranny of Motorola must be stopped. Please support us at http://www.change.org/petitions/motorola-mobility-inc-unlock-all-smartphone-bootloaders-2

Motorola is blocking consumers and developers of a feature the device is capable of doing, running custom kernels. Consumers and developers who bought Motorola smartphones are being cheated out of their freedom to modify their personal property. Motorola has unlocked some smartphone's bootloaders, but many are still locked. Through allowing people the opportunity to unlock their bootloaders, Motorola will encourage developers to use Motorola phones to develop on rather than other devices. It is time that Motorola unlocks all of their smartphone's bootloaders and gives people the right to modify their own personal property, a right that is inherent on millions of other smartphones produced by other companies.

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
Chubbs said:
The tyranny of Motorola must be stopped. Please support us at http://www.change.org/petitions/motorola-mobility-inc-unlock-all-smartphone-bootloaders-2

Motorola is blocking consumers and developers of a feature the device is capable of doing, running custom kernels. Consumers and developers who bought Motorola smartphones are being cheated out of their freedom to modify their personal property. Motorola has unlocked some smartphone's bootloaders, but many are still locked. Through allowing people the opportunity to unlock their bootloaders, Motorola will encourage developers to use Motorola phones to develop on rather than other devices. It is time that Motorola unlocks all of their smartphone's bootloaders and gives people the right to modify their own personal property, a right that is inherent on millions of other smartphones produced by other companies.
The tyranny of Verizon must be stopped.

Edit: good luck getting the vendors of proprietary bits to agree as well. Pessimist out.

·
CELL TECH
1,173 Posts
We need to keep on those mofo's. I wrote angry emails to at&t about how they locked down their androids back In the day. We can try and we should never stop. We need to get on Verizon for not listening or attempting to even consider a compromise, just lying about it. They say it's a network security issue but how many unlocked og droids did it take to harm the network? Oh the networks fine? Well that means they lied to us! I feel so cheated.
But look how far the other petition got, thousands of signatures and nothing but lies from moto and big red. We tried and didn't accomplish anything but we can't give up.
I'm down to keep on them, we need to let them know that we haven't forgotten about their "end of the year solution" promise. Let me know what I can do to help but we need to petition Verizon. I doubt its gonna help but we need some kind of hope.

·
Android Lover
411 Posts
This is a two part problem, actually. We could petition Moto to stop encrypting their bootloaders when they lock them (making them uncrackable), or we could petition Verizon to stop making them lock them up.

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
ro6666lt said:
hit em where it hurts. only buy unlocked devices / devices that can be unlocked. They'll change their tune if it messes with the bottom line.
+ 1

·
Banned
133 Posts
You do realize Motorola was bought by Google back in Feb right?

·
Android Lover
411 Posts
That deal hasn't gone through completely yet. They literally just got stockholder approval like 2 weeks ago, now they have to go through the DOJ and stuff

·
CELL TECH
1,173 Posts
-TSON- said:
That deal hasn't gone through completely yet. They literally just got stockholder approval like 2 weeks they have to go through the DOJ and stuff
This will always be a hot topic with us, we've tried petitions, groubals, smapmming, threatening emails, reasonable dialog and they simply are too cat to stand up for us, or dony care in the least. im not Holding my breath.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using RootzWiki Forums

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want my bootloader unlocked!

·
Plays Well with Others. Mostly.
367 Posts
I was just thinking about this...

New thought: stop talking about their devices on twitter, Facebook, etc. . Here is fine, but in the "wild" these comments may not be beneficial.

I can see how they may fool themselves into thinking this unlock talk is a win win right now. Normal users may conclude their canned responses about security are accurate. It increases their publicity. And we always include that their hardware is tops (though I feel that may be less true if only by a little now).

Start saying "companies with locked loaders" instead. Stop recommending their phones to casual users. Maybe that will have more of an effect?

________
Sent from here to everywhere

·
The Truth
525 Posts
I dont mean to rain on everyones parade BUT...the only and last unlocked device moto will ever do is the original Droid that i still have. They will constantly tell you that its the carriers wish to keep them locked down but in fact its their wish also, if they really wanted to unlock them as they say that they are they would just do it i mean look at HTC they have said they are goin to unlock bootloaders and what have they done the program is up and running online and im sure Verizon has told them the same thing as moto. It seems no matter how much everyone complains and petitions, and tweets to them about this situation it will fall upon deaf ears. I dont own an HTC nor moto i have went for a true open device the nexus not saying its the greatest phone ever BUT it is as android intended an open, dev friendly device, and i would have bought it on any carrier just for that fact. I highly doubt moto will ever make a nexus either. This i just me 2 cents and personal opinion just thought id share with yous. Good day all

·
Android Freak
1,406 Posts
They can ignore us. Doesn't mean I'm gonna leave them alone

Sent from my Touchpad using RootzWiki

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
The tyranny of Motorola must be stopped. Please support us at http://www.change.or...e-bootloaders-2

What is the Big Deal not Unlocking Bootloader?...If the customers are giving an Option to have a choice whether to Lock/Unlock... whats the harm with any Carrier to do so....

Its Bubba

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
What is the Big Deal not Unlocking Bootloader?...If the customers are giving an Option to have a choice whether to Lock/Unlock... whats the harm with any Carrier to do so....

Its Bubba
Motorola: Hey we want to unlock our bootloaders.
Verizon: IF YOU DO THAT WE WILL NEVER SELL ANY OF YOUR PHONES AGAIN HAHA!
Motorola: *hides in corner*

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think its a brick wall. I seriously doubt it will ever happen, what's the benefit for them? Its obviously not hurting them whatsoever. On the other hand, I don't really see the point in keeping it locked in the first place. Id like to hear the number 1 reason for why they do this. They gotta know by now, its been tunneled through long ago lolol..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts