Android OS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
just think, its marketing strategy, lock one phone, then buy higher phone, then lock again and buy new phone...... i am a moto user, rooted my Moto Defy Plus 2.3.6, ill never do OTA again NEVER!! i learned

·
Registered
130 Posts
At first I hated it, but after awhile, I could care less about this bootloader. Now if we couldn't flash a rom, thatd be a different story. But we have a slew of fully functional ics roms. As does my fiances fascinate, along with the gnex. I think were in a very small minority that really wants it unlocked. I don't think its locked to stop us from flashing stuff. I think its locked because in this minority, theres ALOT OF RETARDS breaking their phones. We could all stop buying their devices, and they'd stay in business. So they say- lock em so we stop replacing phones that they broke. Theres like 5x more people that really doesn't even know what the bootloader is. I'm not gonna hate moto cause I have a locked bootloader, but everybody has their opinions. I'm prob gonna keep buying them cause I have a BULLET PROOF phone with a locked bootloader. Not a little slab of plastic. So when I'm finally ready to lay this one to rest, I'm prob getting a razr. Ever since my d1, I've always loved em. And flashed the same roms on all of em. With android oc, you can set custom slots and vessrls. Much like that 'something test kernel' I was obsessed with with my d1.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
At first I hated it, but after awhile, I could care less about this bootloader. Now if we couldn't flash a rom, thatd be a different story. But we have a slew of fully functional ics roms. As does my fiances fascinate, along with the gnex. I think were in a very small minority that really wants it unlocked. I don't think its locked to stop us from flashing stuff. I think its locked because in this minority, theres ALOT OF RETARDS breaking their phones. We could all stop buying their devices, and they'd stay in business. So they say- lock em so we stop replacing phones that they broke. Theres like 5x more people that really doesn't even know what the bootloader is. I'm not gonna hate moto cause I have a locked bootloader, but everybody has their opinions. I'm prob gonna keep buying them cause I have a BULLET PROOF phone with a locked bootloader. Not a little slab of plastic. So when I'm finally ready to lay this one to rest, I'm prob getting a razr. Ever since my d1, I've always loved em. And flashed the same roms on all of em. With android oc, you can set custom slots and vessrls. Much like that 'something test kernel' I was obsessed with with my d1.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Man you don't know what it's like to have an unlocked bootloader. Put it this way:
On my HTC Incredible 2, I used to get 20-25hrs battery life AT THE MOST on stock kernel.
Then switched to CM7 with CM7 kernel, and got a bit more.
Then switched to Aeroevan's CM9 with his CM9 kernel... it's hard to drain my battery in less than 60 hours :)

I know you may argue that the razr maxx has a 3 billion or whatever it is milla-amp battery and you don't need custom kernels blah blah blah, but an unlocked bootloader opens up so many new opportunities for developers that they don't have with a locked bootloader.

·
<insert title>
79 Posts
Necro'd

Signed this last night and gathered some of my friends (Apple fanboys included) to sign - I really don't want to have to choose any other phone than a Moto for my next purchase

·
Registered
29 Posts
well it lookslike moto is goin to start unlocking bootladers starting with the photon q..too bad they wouldnt do it for my bionic :<

·
&lt;insert title&gt;
79 Posts
I know, by the looks of it (photon q), Motorola are gonna be providing optional bootloader unlocks on their new releases.

So it looks like I'm gonna have to hold off on that razr (and it was affordable too
)

Sent from my cm9 Defy via Tapatalk

·
The Shadow within Android
562 Posts
But the Photon Q is on Sprint. Whether or not it could be used on Verizon is another matter, and quite frankly, I'm not bothered by the locked bootloader. Usually it just provides challenges for people to get around them and such. I mean, look at the Droid X still kicking two years later.

I'd rather have a phone that will last me the two years I want, or more, than something that I'd have to replace in a couple months. Samsung hasn't been known for the best of quality, where-as Motorola arguably is. Not to mention their radios are also arguably better too. But that all depends on the region, and so far.. my DX is kicking just fine.

·
&lt;insert title&gt;
79 Posts
Yeah well the whole Sprint/Verizon issue doesn't concern me as I live in Australia, the way I see it is that the phones they may release from now on may be bootloader unlockable.

I just wish that they'd provide that option to some of the existing phones in the market.

The bootloader thing means different things to different people I guess - to me the whole freedom that android is meant to encompass shouldn't be tarnished by things like locked bootloaders.
I'll probably be looking to purchase the RAZR as its cheaper than the MAXX and we have a pretty primitive 4G network here so the battery thing shouldn't be too much of an issue.

But ima wait a few months until the next nexus unveiling (praying the rumours of a multi OEM nexus line becomes a reality).

Sent from my Nexus 7 via Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts