Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Themer
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start to learn how to dev and I figured that theming was an easy place to start. I was wondering if someone could write up a quick tutorial on how to create an update.zip and sign .apks and all that. Or simply link me to a credible one that is already in place. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Developer
161 Posts
I wouldn't suggest jumping right into signing apks. Just stick with basic themeing for now. You really only need to sing apks for market apps anyways, and they can be a hassle to theme.

This is an update.zip I made that just does the basics. It just replaces the apks in "/system/app" and "system/framework", with whatever you place in their respective folders.

Download

You should be able to figure out what you need to edit to make the .zip do what you want, if not send me a PM.

·
Themer
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm great with PS and would love to contribute. I'll check it out.

Sent from DroidX

·
Themer
110 Posts
I have also started recently with theming. I have found a ton of information. I have PS but am just ok with it. Maybe we can share at some point.

·
Call Me Bert
188 Posts
Namyar said:
I have also started recently with theming. I have found a ton of information. I have PS but am just ok with it. Maybe we can share at some point.
In the future, I plan on beginning graphics tutorials in collaboration with other devs. Hang tight for a few weeks and we'll get started

via Tapatalk

·
Themer
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe one of you can help me. I can only get the update.zip to flash framework-res.apk, not SystemUI.apk. Really sucks because I have a decent little 3G/signal/battery theme I am working on and I'd like to share it. Only have the battery right now but I think it looks pretty slick.

Sent from DroidX

·
Themer
110 Posts
AndroidSims said:
Maybe one of you can help me. I can only get the update.zip to flash framework-res.apk, not SystemUI.apk. Really sucks because I have a decent little 3G/signal/battery theme I am working on and I'd like to share it. Only have the battery right now but I think it looks pretty slick.

Sent from DroidX
Where are you putting the systemui.apk want to make sure that it goes in the app folder inside the zip. I am sure you are doing that but want to check. I am gonna try this zip that webst3r set up and see what it does for me.

·
Themer
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Namyar said:
Where are you putting the systemui.apk want to make sure that it goes in the app folder inside the zip. I am sure you are doing that but want to check. I am gonna try this zip that webst3r set up and see what it does for me.
Yeah I am putting it in /app. I've even used like 3 different update.zips and edited them and the outcome is the same. It gets stuck on the boot logo or will boot and the status bar is missing. Lol

Sent from DroidX

·
Themer
110 Posts
OK well not sure on that, wanna share your APK and I can look to see. On my end I cant get past the droid eye, I used the zip set up here and get a boot loop. I have used other zips and scripts but then gets stuck. So if someone will help I can post it up.

·
Themer
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have only themed my battery so far, I'll theme the other icons and shoot you the .zip tomorrow if it's ready and maybe you can tell me what's wrong with it.

Sent from DroidX

·
Themer
110 Posts
I am learning too and would be more than happy to help and share what I have learned.

·
Themer
192 Posts
If it takes and it turns on but there's no status bar, then you might have a corrupt png, or an image might be the wrong size. This will cause boot loops or a missing stat/notification bar.

·
Themer
110 Posts
OK so how would I find that file?? or image?? I used beyond compare and the file size of the new frame work is smaller than the original one weird.

·
Themer
192 Posts
Trying putting the stock images back, create the update zip, flash it, and if it doesn't boot loop or cause issues, then you know its the icons not the zip format. So then ensure the pngs are the right size and the exact same file name when adding to the framework.

·
Developer
161 Posts
AndroidSims said:
I have only themed my battery so far, I'll theme the other icons and shoot you the .zip tomorrow if it's ready and maybe you can tell me what's wrong with it.

Sent from DroidX
What I suggest for now, is just using ADB, it's alot easier than putting an update.zip on your phone every time you want to apply something to your theme. ADB is best for "debugging" your theme. It's just quicker.

·
Themer
110 Posts
Webst3r said:
What I suggest for now, is just using ADB, it's alot easier than putting an update.zip on your phone every time you want to apply something to your theme. ADB is best for "debugging" your theme. It's just quicker.
Never used ADB and would have to learn that too.

·
Themer
110 Posts
Droid-Xer said:
Trying putting the stock images back, create the update zip, flash it, and if it doesn't boot loop or cause issues, then you know its the icons not the zip format. So then ensure the pngs are the right size and the exact same file name when adding to the framework.
I will do that thank you, will take a little to do but may be the only way thanks

·
Themer
192 Posts
No prob. I gan guarantee you its a small oversight. And starting fresh should fix it rather than pulling out your hair trying to pick and choose.

·
Themer
110 Posts
Started fresh and that worked it installed this time with one issue, there is no status bar at all now - I get a systemUI.apk has force closed. but the phone works no boot loop. I think I know what it might be so I am going to try this again. Will let you know thank you for the help Droid-Xer.

·
Themer
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Namyar said:
Started fresh and that worked it installed this time with one issue, there is no status bar at all now - I get a systemUI.apk has force closed. but the phone works no boot loop. I think I know what it might be so I am going to try this again. Will let you know thank you for the help Droid-Xer.
I had problems with that .zip too, I ended up modifying one from a different update and it's worked fine for me ever since.

Sent from DroidX

1 - 20 of 23 Posts