Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1,227 Posts
OK Guys, here's where you enter the Rootz Shaped Box Giveaway. Remember to Follow these Instructions when submitting your entry, or else you will be disqualified.
  • You must be a dev/themer with content currently available on RootzWiki
  • The picture of your box MUST have your dev/themer name in it, no exceptions
  • Include the specs of your current rig
  • You can't have won any RootzWiki prizes before
  • Your current box can run ANY OS, we don't care.
Computer cooling Circuit component Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Electrical wiring
Circuit component Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Font Audio equipment
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware Gadget

Brown Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas
Brown Rectangle Wood Gas Font
Netbook Electronic instrument Computer hardware Font Gadget

Alright, have at it! Remeber, the contest winner will be chosen on February 14, 2012. Best luck to All!

Attachments

·
kangarang
23 Posts
'Tis a Dell Inspiron 15 and a Google cr48
The Dell has:
2.0GHz dual core
4GB RAM
300GB HDD
Win7 Ultimate
The monitor in the middle is attached to the Dell

The cr48 has:
1.6GHz Intel Atom
No idea how much RAM
16GB SDD
Linux Mint 12

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Here is my poor lappy that I SSH into @poitee's buildbox on.
I dont even have a buildbox of my own! Would love to get my own box at home to build with!
Current Specs:
Asus P50IJ-x1
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.1 ghz
4g DDR2 ram
320gb hard drive
Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit / Windows 7 dual booted
everything past that is nothing even worth mentioning on this machine lol

·
Your trusted friend in science
620 Posts
Wow.

I was thinking about shooting some pictures of my crappy 2.3GHz Core2Duo desktop in its 10 year old case and 15 year old CRT monitor. Since it I cannot win it this would have been just for fun and to show that one can develop also on machines that would be called outdated today.

But I must say that to my surprise I really have nothing to complain. Some of the hardware shown in this thread is that terrible I would not consider developing on it if it was the last bit of technology stranded with me on a deserted island - not even if a bunch of cannibals would threaten to eat me alive I if do not write them a custom kernel.

Poor guys.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I think i wanna know how many of these pictures are taken from a Galaxy Nexus LOL
Me too.

Dell Latitude D830

specs:
core 2 duo t7700 @ 2.4 ghz
intel 965pm chipset w/ nvidia quadro nvs 140m
2gb ddr2 667mhz ram

Havent tried building ICS on it, gave up after the Satellite M305-s4822 it replaced took 3 and a half hours to build.

Should also probably note that I don't even own this. Its being borrowed from someone indefinitely since said Satellite died.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Anyone who has followed my tweets recently you will know that I have just spent my savings on building my own mega box, named The Beast. I don't wish to win anything, just joining in the fun
For the record, my old machine was a Sony Vaio from about 6 years ago (second hand from my uncle) with a Core Duo proc, 2GB RAM and a 160GB 5400rpm HDD with some basic NVIDIA graphics card.

As you may be able to tell from some of the screens shown, the specs are as follows (it's very similar to the RootzBox):
Intel Core i7 2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo
Corsair TX-650 650W PSU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB
16 GB GEIL 1600/1700mhz performance RAM
120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
1 TB Seagate SATA3 HDD
LiteOn DVD reader
Fractal Design Define R3 Black case

Dell 23" LED Monitor
Logitec speakers
Mac OS X Lion (Hackintosh!)
Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard

Please don't hate because I went the hackintosh route, I wanted a challenge and also I have nothing against Apple in the desktop space (mobile is a different story on the other hand). This machine is as fast as hell, and with specs very similar to the RootzBox I have no doubt in saying whoever is lucky enough to get it will have one beast of a machine on their hands!

Cheers guys, and happy Australia Day!

·
Supporting Member
113 Posts
This started off as my school laptop and I used it to get my B.S. in Networking. It was during that time I discovered Photoshop and gfxs, I've been running with this laptop for almost 2 years now. It's not top notch but it has gotten me through a ton of wallpapers and icons and my Aeris theme.

Dell Studio 15
Core i3
Basic GFXs card - this needs some upgrading
8GB RAM - just upgraded cause I could barely run C4D and Photoshop together.
500GB SATA HD
Windows 7 Pro
Nothing else special, I went as cheap as I could.

would love to win this rootz box, I've had several machines come and go, but it's safe to say they had nothing even close to the specs on that rootz box!
Thanks for the chance to win!

EDIT: I just noticed my wife spelled my name wrong!!
DOH! LMAO...I called and asked her to send me a pic and she spells my name wrong *facepalm*

Reactions: b16

·
Pseudo-dev
31 Posts
HP 210 Netbook is my "Devbook" as I call it.

Intel Atom 1.66 ghz, 1 GB ram, 250GB HD, Ubuntu 10.11. It's good enough for kernels, and for the occasional build (when I compiled the CM7 Kang for Infuse myself) of Gingerbread.... if you want to take 8 hours to build it with. It works, but is REALLY sad for anything more than just kernel work.

Brown Computer Laptop Personal computer Input device

Brown Rectangle Food Font Baked goods

Though as you can see, I have swagged it out with stickers.

If I win, I'll pass along this device onto someone else... (passing it forward. :) )

Edit: Had to include the pic, instead of the link. (D'OH!)

Attachments

Reactions: b16

·
Dev-in-Progress
607 Posts
I know I'm not a recognized Dev, but I can't exactly buiold too much on my mom's old computer. I do have a project in Tbolt forum. Tried to build CM7 and this would barely even do that. It took two hours to compile then it just errored constantly. And after paying for school I have no money to upgrade to newer system. Hopefully somehow I can get this so I can spend nearly every moment I can developing for the Tbolt and whatever else device I can pick up along the way from friends.

Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz
RAM: 1.0 GB DDR II SDRAM
Hard Drive : 80 GB
Ubuntu 11.04 (Won't run anything higher) Handwriting Gas Computer hardware Electronic device Machine

Attachments

·
Developer
22 Posts
Removing myself from the contest, I have decent enough system now that I can build stuff with, goodluck to whoever wins!.

Dude its a Dell.

Here is mah PC COMPUTA

I guess an upgrade would probably be good for my theme-makin and devvin life.

But hey it runs MS Paint and thats all that matters <3
http://db.pra.sh/pccomputa.jpg
(It must be a decade old by now, barely runs more than 2 programs at a time, and yes thats a Sony CDR drive sticking out of it, cus its gangasta like that)

Specs include AMD Athelon 600mhz processor (Athelon was the first to come out with 1Ghz processors, but this was RIGHT before that)
Windows 98 SE
Photoshop 7 (cus it doesn't go any higher with these specs)
512mb RAM

Hand built in like 2000 as Gradumation present to myself. Used to run the internet on AOL so fast (!)

Reactions: RoLa

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hello,
I am in DIRE need of a development machine

Sadly, there is no way I would be able to afford one anytime soon as my job pays just enough to pay rent and cover food for my daughter, pregnant girlfriend, and myself. I'm praying that this contest will work out for me

My current development machine:
Acer AX1700-U3700A

Specifications:
Intel Dual Core E2220 2.4gHz
4 GB DDR2
640GB SATA HDD
56k modem (replaced with WiFi card in it's ONLY PCI-E slot)
Gentoo Linux compiled from scratch (which takes two days to fully rebuild on this machine)

This computer has NO room for expansion. You cannot add hard drives, cdroms, or extra RAM. It has absolutely 0 PCI slots and only one PCI-E slot which I use for the WiFi card that I had to purchase separately. I bought the computer third-hand from a friend as it was an upgrade from the laptop that I was developing on.

I develop Crossbones ROM, and building ICS on it takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours, depending on whether or not Java crashes because it runs out of memory (which may happen multiple times during a single build). Even compiling one app in the ROM (like Settings for example) will take 10 minutes without using make clean! That makes it a real PITA when you are making small source changes and need to recompile to test while coding new features for my ROM.

Pictures: (click to enlarge)
Gadget Packaging and labeling Material property Font Audio equipment

Side view (I cleaned the dust off the side about a week ago)
Gadget Gas Machine Font Audio equipment

Front/Side

The tower itself is an extremely odd sized form factor. The DVDRW sits vertical. Half of the USB ports on the front of the machine do not function at all.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to enter this contest. I'm crossing my fingers hoping I will win this dev machine. It will definitely allow me to build better ROMs for the community. I work very hard on my ROMs and am extremely proud of my work. Having this dev box would greatly benefit both myself and the community as a whole

Attachments

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Hello,
I am in DIRE need of a development machine

Sadly, there is no way I would be able to afford one anytime soon as my job pays just enough to pay rent and cover food for my daughter, pregnant girlfriend, and myself. I'm praying that this contest will work out for me

My current development machine:
Acer AX1700-U3700A

Specifications:
Intel Dual Core E2220 2.4gHz
4 GB DDR2
640GB SATA HDD
56k modem (replaced with WiFi card in it's ONLY PCI-E slot)
Gentoo Linux compiled from scratch (which takes two days to fully rebuild on this machine)

This computer has NO room for expansion. You cannot add hard drives, cdroms, or extra RAM. It has absolutely 0 PCI slots and only one PCI-E slot which I use for the WiFi card that I had to purchase separately. I bought the computer third-hand from a friend as it was an upgrade from the laptop that I was developing on.

I develop Crossbones ROM, and building ICS on it takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours, depending on whether or not Java crashes because it runs out of memory (which may happen multiple times during a single build). Even compiling one app in the ROM (like Settings for example) will take 10 minutes without using make clean! That makes it a real PITA when you are making small source changes and need to recompile to test while coding new features for my ROM.
yes im getting tired of complaints on builds crashing, compiling, etc. in short mwielgosz deserves this and more importantly NEEDS this. if you would like to know why, i suggest taking a look at his github and the true quality of his work. In addition be sure to peek in to his current development Crossbones Crespo4g, Crespo, and Toro.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts