Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Android Lover
1,260 Posts
yellowj704 said:
I may be wrong here, so correct me if I am, but devs have been using the BASE since the leak, whereas the kernel is proprietary to Htc.. So the kernels we have now are all custom linux based ones that individuals have made themselves. With the proper kernel released, real dev work based off of it can begin.

Devs- am i right or completely off base here (no pun intended)
Yeah, that's incorrect. They're waiting for source to be released.

·
Android Apprentice
48 Posts
That's crazy!! It's officially here, its all over android police.... Can't wait for devs to get a hold of the source and improve those kick a$$ roms we now have.... Thank you again!!!

·
Android Addict
1,497 Posts
fparedes070 said:
I'm sorry, I'm still a noob to all this, what is gpl and how is HTC violating it?
GPL is a license used by Google/Linux. Anyone who uses the Linux kernel (All Android ROM's) must release source code when they release their finished product. Until HTC releases source for their latest release (The GB OTA they just pushed) they are violating the GPL.

·
Android Addict
1,497 Posts
Mustang, just an FYI when I click on the PDF to download it, it just show's the update from May. I don't know if Verizon took it down or if I have it cached but just something I wanted to bring to your attention.

·
Android Apprentice
48 Posts
"miketoasty said:
GPL is a license used by Google/Linux. Anyone who uses the Linux kernel (All Android ROM's) must release source code when they release their finished product. Until HTC releases source for their latest release (The GB OTA they just pushed) they are violating the GPL.
Oh okay, thanks bro, well detailed

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
miketoasty said:
Is there someone to actually enforce this? I'm sorry but I would like to see HTC get slapped around a bit.

Second, I haz gingerbreadz OTA downloading now.

***Edit***
LOL, the download failed. I am assuming that their update servers are swamped now. Don't really know.

·
Android Addict
1,497 Posts
j35u5fr34k said:
Is there someone to actually enforce this? I'm sorry but I would like to see HTC get slapped around a bit.

Second, I haz gingerbreadz OTA downloading now.

***Edit***
LOL, the download failed. I am assuming that their update servers are swamped now. Don't really know.
Technically, Google would have to be the ones to enforce this, but they never do. When the phone was first released we had to wait 2 and a half weeks to get source and never heard a thing from Google..

·
Android Addict
1,497 Posts
jr4000watts90 said:
dumb question since i never really do OTA updates just wait for someone to turn it into a custom rom lol, but downloading the OTA will make me loose root correct?
Any ROM that is based off the 2.11.605.3 build (Should be in the ROM info) already has it built in.

And yes the OTA will make you lose root, and you may not be able to get back. (I believe you can with revolutionary but not sure)

·
Android Apprentice
65 Posts
Can we get a class-action suit against HTC/Verizon? They release buggy hardware with buggy software and patch it with more bugs? I truly feel like I have been fleeced, as I'm sure many of you do.
If it wasn't for the awesome devs I would've already thrown this thing in the river!!!!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts