Android OS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Flashaholic
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would check out ubuntu 11.04 and have successfully dual booted my dell laptop. Took me a while to get the wifi network setup but we are all good now. LOL. This is a totally different experience that brings me back to the old DOS stuff.

I am wondering what to do now? I would like to use the linux to access more information on the Android OS and hear it is easier than using windows. Can i get pointed in the right direction please? I did download Linux for dummies. LMAO

Is using linux easier to do things on the droid systems?

Thanks

·
Professional Stuff Breaker
1,402 Posts
Using Linux is easier in that once you get everything setup, and become familiar with the command line, it's quite easy. But that initial learning curve can be quite steep. I'd recommend starting by getting the Android SDK installed on your computer, then getting all the different packages needed for compiling Android. Unfortunately you can't compile right now, since the source repository on kernel.org is offline.

Some more info:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)

·
Developer
194 Posts
You can skip a lot the initial work of actually setting up the SDK and ADB since you're using Ubuntu if you want to check out my thread. It will do a lot of the grunt work for you, as far as compiling your own kernel for Android though that isn't anything that I actually do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since I'm also an ubuntu n00b, and since this seems like a friendly forum my question is: I want to dualboot ubuntu 10.04 LTS ( is this the best choice or do i choose a newer version?) and start compiling source, and how should i dualboot the best way? I have been googling, but i still want your guys oppinion. I am currently running windows 7 on a Dell XPS 420 ( if you need more info please ask). Btw this is my first post here so, dont be hard on me:)

·
Aspiring Android
324 Posts
Since I'm also an ubuntu n00b, and since this seems like a friendly forum my question is: I want to dualboot ubuntu 10.04 LTS ( is this the best choice or do i choose a newer version?) and start compiling source, and how should i dualboot the best way? I have been googling, but i still want your guys oppinion. I am currently running windows 7 on a Dell XPS 420 ( if you need more info please ask). Btw this is my first post here so, dont be hard on me:)
10.04 should be fine. If you're compiling AOSP source, though, you should make sure you have a 64-bit processor (I'm guessing you do), though you can compile CyanogenMod source with 32-bit. (You can probably do AOSP source with 32-bit but it's a bit more involved setup I think). You might want to check out this page for recommended build machine specs if you're thinking about compiling Ice Cream Sandwich: Heads up: preparing development machines for the future release of ICS in AOSP - Android Building | Google Groups You need a pretty heavy-duty machine to do that. I compile CM 7.2 for my DX from CM source on a fairly old/pathetic machine myself (1.8ghz Pentium M aka single-core proc and only 1.5 GB RAM...) and it compiles in around 30-60 minutes.

I'm dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.10. I've used this page as a resource for setting up my dual-boot: http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/ and it should work for you and your machine. One trick that has helped me is to have a bootable USB stick around for when I screw up Grub or the Windows MBR; I can boot off the stick and fix it in the USB stick's Ubuntu, then remove the stick and boot Ubuntu/XP normally. (I would use the Windows Live CDs but I don't know where they are... keep them handy if you have them!) If you do screw up your computer, the internet is a very good resource; it's almost guaranteed someone else has done the same thing, posted online about it, and gotten answers. Learning by making mistakes has been my MO!

·
Registered
159 Posts
10.04 should be fine. If you're compiling AOSP source, though, you should make sure you have a 64-bit processor (I'm guessing you do), though you can compile CyanogenMod source with 32-bit. (You can probably do AOSP source with 32-bit but it's a bit more involved setup I think). You might want to check out this page for recommended build machine specs if you're thinking about compiling Ice Cream Sandwich: Heads up: preparing development machines for the future release of ICS in AOSP - Android Building | Google Groups You need a pretty heavy-duty machine to do that. I compile CM 7.2 for my DX from CM source on a fairly old/pathetic machine myself (1.8ghz Pentium M aka single-core proc and only 1.5 GB RAM...) and it compiles in around 30-60 minutes.

I'm dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.10. I've used this page as a resource for setting up my dual-boot: http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/ and it should work for you and your machine. One trick that has helped me is to have a bootable USB stick around for when I screw up Grub or the Windows MBR; I can boot off the stick and fix it in the USB stick's Ubuntu, then remove the stick and boot Ubuntu/XP normally. (I would use the Windows Live CDs but I don't know where they are... keep them handy if you have them!) If you do screw up your computer, the internet is a very good resource; it's almost guaranteed someone else has done the same thing, posted online about it, and gotten answers. Learning by making mistakes has been my MO!
I think i got the most out of what you wrote and I'm probably gonna dual-boot my computer tomorrow, just one more question, is there a big chance i screw up? I mean, by looking at the official ubuntu website it seems pretty simple, so should i make a backup?

·
Aspiring Android
324 Posts
I think i got the most out of what you wrote and I'm probably gonna dual-boot my computer tomorrow, just one more question, is there a big chance i screw up? I mean, by looking at the official ubuntu website it seems pretty simple, so should i make a backup?
If you have the option to make a backup, I think you almost always should. Just make sure you have a bootable USB drive or live CD so you can edit your windows MBR. That's the only thing I ever screwed up in my installation. It is pretty easy though, and the Ubuntu setup process walks you right through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts