Android OS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Aspiring Android
324 Posts
Since I'm also an ubuntu n00b, and since this seems like a friendly forum my question is: I want to dualboot ubuntu 10.04 LTS ( is this the best choice or do i choose a newer version?) and start compiling source, and how should i dualboot the best way? I have been googling, but i still want your guys oppinion. I am currently running windows 7 on a Dell XPS 420 ( if you need more info please ask). Btw this is my first post here so, dont be hard on me:)
10.04 should be fine. If you're compiling AOSP source, though, you should make sure you have a 64-bit processor (I'm guessing you do), though you can compile CyanogenMod source with 32-bit. (You can probably do AOSP source with 32-bit but it's a bit more involved setup I think). You might want to check out this page for recommended build machine specs if you're thinking about compiling Ice Cream Sandwich: Heads up: preparing development machines for the future release of ICS in AOSP - Android Building | Google Groups You need a pretty heavy-duty machine to do that. I compile CM 7.2 for my DX from CM source on a fairly old/pathetic machine myself (1.8ghz Pentium M aka single-core proc and only 1.5 GB RAM...) and it compiles in around 30-60 minutes.

I'm dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.10. I've used this page as a resource for setting up my dual-boot: http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/ and it should work for you and your machine. One trick that has helped me is to have a bootable USB stick around for when I screw up Grub or the Windows MBR; I can boot off the stick and fix it in the USB stick's Ubuntu, then remove the stick and boot Ubuntu/XP normally. (I would use the Windows Live CDs but I don't know where they are... keep them handy if you have them!) If you do screw up your computer, the internet is a very good resource; it's almost guaranteed someone else has done the same thing, posted online about it, and gotten answers. Learning by making mistakes has been my MO!

·
Aspiring Android
324 Posts
I think i got the most out of what you wrote and I'm probably gonna dual-boot my computer tomorrow, just one more question, is there a big chance i screw up? I mean, by looking at the official ubuntu website it seems pretty simple, so should i make a backup?
If you have the option to make a backup, I think you almost always should. Just make sure you have a bootable USB drive or live CD so you can edit your windows MBR. That's the only thing I ever screwed up in my installation. It is pretty easy though, and the Ubuntu setup process walks you right through it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts